Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EXCLUSIVE: New Line registers Hobbit movie titles
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 4:19pm

Post #26 of 112 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Exclusive [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether it's news to you is irrelevant to my post.

TORN cannot and should not claim "exclusive," here or on their home page, to news that was already scooped by others across the internet yesterday.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 31 2012, 4:20pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 4:19pm

Post #27 of 112 (1899 views)
Shortcut
The title doesn't have to fully match the contents of the film [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fitting. Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 4:20pm

Post #28 of 112 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Oooh! I think it sounds exciting! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 4:21pm

Post #29 of 112 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Well it is an exclusive, since "The Battle of Five Armies" wasn't one highlighted yesterday ;- P / [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:24pm

Post #30 of 112 (1894 views)
Shortcut
It is particularly fitting... [In reply to] Can't Post

When you consider the framing device. "There and Back Again" both referring to Bilbo's journey and our going back and forward in time. But I still feel that these are film 2 and 3's titles. Makes me think that film 1 should be re-titled "An Unexpected Party"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 4:26pm

Post #31 of 112 (1817 views)
Shortcut
Why do you think it should be changed to "An Unexpected Party"? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 4:26pm

Post #32 of 112 (1812 views)
Shortcut
It's news to me too :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:27pm

Post #33 of 112 (1871 views)
Shortcut
Just because the other titles are chapter names :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 4:27pm

Post #34 of 112 (1863 views)
Shortcut
A good point [In reply to] Can't Post

one some have been trying to make for a few days now --unsuccessfully, as if shouting into the wind.
Laugh

"There and Back Again" is the alternate title, or sub-title if you prefer, of the entire story. And frankly I would rather they use that to describe all three films than call it "The Hobbit Trilogy."

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 4:28pm

Post #35 of 112 (1838 views)
Shortcut
How about? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: Fire and Water
The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Though I'm all in favour of DanielLB's suggestion of using Desolation of Smaug for Film 2 and TABA for Film 3

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 4:29pm

Post #36 of 112 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Oh I see. Got you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was getting confused.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:30pm

Post #37 of 112 (1782 views)
Shortcut
I like that one, too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 4:33pm

Post #38 of 112 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Oh, shouting in the wind's not that uncommon round here... [In reply to] Can't Post

so is banging your head on a brick wall! Wink

As for 'There and Back Again', you're right that it's a good sub-title for the whole thing...

On the other hand, it works for film three because Bilbo is already 'There' at the start of the film, and before it ends he goes back again....

I'm not keen on 'Battle of the five Armies' as it tells you what's going to happen. But as SA says, it's what's in the film that really counts, not what they call them.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Jul 31 2012, 4:34pm

Post #39 of 112 (1845 views)
Shortcut
The titles should reflect the characters' journey [In reply to] Can't Post

The story is not about "killing the dragon" or "The Battle of the Five Armies" (though moreso than the former), it's about the journey of Bilbo and the Dwarves. The titles should, in turn, reflect that. The two titles were so whimsical, and these just seem generic.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 4:35pm

Post #40 of 112 (1762 views)
Shortcut
"The Gathering of the Clouds" is more poetic than Bo5A [In reply to] Can't Post

... and it could work, especially if they treat the Bo5A as similar to Helm's Deep, that is as one battle in anticipation of a final battle and perchance "the end of all things."

As a title for film 3 though it would take on a different meaning than it has as a chapter title in the book (obviously).

ETA: As "An Unexpected Journey" technically plays with the title "An Unexpected Party," I wouldn't mind if they called film 3 "The Gathering Storm" for the same reason stated above, and above Wink

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 31 2012, 4:44pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 4:36pm

Post #41 of 112 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

but then again, it's those situations and events that help define the character. Also, considering it would be the intermediary film, it wouldn't disrupt attention - it's similar to the generic title of 'The Two Towers' I guess ...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 4:40pm

Post #42 of 112 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Ah, being there vs going there [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always figured "back again" implied "there" to be short hand for "going there," that "there" describes a journey rather than a place. But I see now how this could make sense... thanks for pointing that out dormouse.

Foromir
Rivendell

Jul 31 2012, 4:45pm

Post #43 of 112 (1833 views)
Shortcut
Titles with a "... of ..." pattern, typically fantasy related, feel a bit tired and wannabe-epic. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I dearly hope these titles are NOT the ones to be used. In contrast, "An unexpected Journey" and "There and Back again" in particular sound original and inspired, it would be unwise to discard these needlessly. They just need to come up with a new creative title for the middle film.

Foromir
Rivendell

Jul 31 2012, 4:47pm

Post #44 of 112 (1751 views)
Shortcut
"Hobbit Part II: Fire and Water"...I could live with that // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Foromir on Jul 31 2012, 4:51pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 5:03pm

Post #45 of 112 (1740 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking something like - [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit I: An Unexpected Journey
Hobbit II: On the Doorstep
Hobbit III: There and Back Again

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 5:04pm

Post #46 of 112 (1719 views)
Shortcut
I think both TDOS and BO5A look epic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit that I wouldn't mind also seeing a version for "Riddles in the Dark".

That being said, I think it is a matter of a choice of two goods and figuring out which is better and more popular - rather than a matter of whether or not either is any good (and that's my opinion).

Between these two visions for the epic trilogy:
1 An Unexpected Journey
2 Riddles in the Dark
3 There and Back Again

1 An Unexpected Journey
2 The Desolation of Smaug
3 The Battle of Five Armies

I'd say the first puts the emphasis on character development and the journey (my personal favorite) while the second puts the emphasis on epic battles and politics (currently popular today according to what I hear from other fans).

It's down to a matter of taste and preference, now. Either way things fall, it seems that most of the story will be there and it will be done justice and be fun to watch.

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 5:19pm

Post #47 of 112 (1791 views)
Shortcut
What if both rumours, all three titles, are correct... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit: Riddles in the Dark
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

I'd prefer

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Party
The Hobbit: Fire and Water
The Hobbit: The Clouds Burst

Jago M
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 5:23pm

Post #48 of 112 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Exactly!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Naming the trilogy:

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

and the seperate parts

I. An unexpected journey
II. The desolation of Smaug
III. The battle of Five Armies

This way 'there and back again' would still be present

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2012, 5:29pm

Post #49 of 112 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Hence the "I'd prefer"... [In reply to] Can't Post

And potentially at the end of Film 3, he'd start off "There", then go "Back Again". It doesn't work as well as with the two-film structure, but it works, especially in countenance to the first film's title.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 31 2012, 5:30pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 31 2012, 5:41pm

Post #50 of 112 (1709 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* It's not about the domain names, it's the actual film titles [In reply to] Can't Post

They were registered by New Line in a way that shall remain nameless to protect our sources, but guarantees that they're legit.

Why don't you give it a rest, JWP, or at least read posts before you reply?

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 31 2012, 7:18pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.