Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EXCLUSIVE: New Line registers Hobbit movie titles
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 31 2012, 10:35am

Post #1 of 112 (4145 views)
Shortcut
EXCLUSIVE: New Line registers Hobbit movie titles Can't Post

We have exclusive and reliable news from Ringer Spy Thrush that New Line has registered the following film titles:

• The Desolation of Smaug

• The Battle of Five Armies

• The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

• The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Apparently this doesn't mean New Line is definitely going to use one, or both, or either of them! Our spy tells us that because they must register their eventual title, studios often register multiple titles. One could suggest, based on these titles, that maybe we'll have a change to the first film title? That 'An Unexpected Journey' memorabilia would sure increase in value!  We've included some completely fan made versions of the movie title logos below! Enjoy!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 3:49pm

Post #2 of 112 (2406 views)
Shortcut
What about "There and Back Again"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown
Both titles are fine by me. I was hoping that There and Back Again would still be used:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Hobbit: There and Back Again

It doesn't matter if the titles don't full represent what's in the films Tongue.

Can we expect confirmation pretty soon then?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 3:54pm

Post #3 of 112 (2238 views)
Shortcut
I like your three choices, Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they haven't made their minds up and are covering all possibilities, but I think 'There and Back Again' is far more suited to the end of Bilbo's story than 'Battle of Five Armies'

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 3:56pm

Post #4 of 112 (2235 views)
Shortcut
If this is reliable [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they roughly reveal what the structure of the 3 films will be.

1. From the Shire to Thranduil's Halls
2. From Thranduil's Halls to the Lonely Mountain
3. The Battle of Five Armies and back to the Shire

The only change to film 1 that I can imagine is that instead of the conclusion being Barrels out of Bond, we end on a cliffhanger, with the dwarves captured and Bilbo at a loss. But I doubt that. Based on how the LOTR films ended, I imagine PJ will want to give the audience a hopeful sign that the journey is progressing to its destination, and the perfect place for that is Bilbo on a barrel looking ahead and seeing the Lonely Mountain far off in the distance.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Jul 31 2012, 3:56pm

Post #5 of 112 (2227 views)
Shortcut
Ehhhhh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always hate spoilery titles. Yes, we expect the dragon to be defeated, but why take that away with the title? It's plot related instead of theme related. Also makes it sound a bit generic, don't you think?

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 3:59pm

Post #6 of 112 (2178 views)
Shortcut
I don't expect them to change the title for the first film [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's all about films 2 and 3

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 3:59pm

Post #7 of 112 (2154 views)
Shortcut
Desolation refers to the destruction caused by Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to his death.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 4:00pm

Post #8 of 112 (2168 views)
Shortcut
Hardly An Exclusive [In reply to] Can't Post

This is hardly an exclusive. This news came out yesterday from a company that monitors domain registrations. These titles are not fact, but speculation based upon those registered domains.

Here's a link to something like anyone could have found through Google yesterday:
http://blastr.com/...domain-registrat.php

It reports the domains:
desolationofsmaug.com
riddlesindark.com
thedesolationofsmaug.com
thehobbitdesolationofsmaug.com
thehobbitriddlesindark.com
thehobbitthedesolationofsmaug.com
thehobbittheriddlesinthedark.com
theriddlesinthedark.com

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 31 2012, 4:07pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Post #9 of 112 (2141 views)
Shortcut
The Desolation of Smaug doesn't suggest that he's been defeated [In reply to] Can't Post

As the desolation was there well before he was killed. All it refers to is the desolation caused by Smaug...You know, a ruined Dale, and a bit of a blasted landscape around the mountain...

I also find it rather unimaginative, though...

DanielLB
Immortal

Post #10 of 112 (2289 views)
Shortcut
The same thing happened before AUJ and TABA were announced? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure there were a number of names that were liscenced before we found out the two titles. I've tried searching the forum, but can't find anything.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Post #11 of 112 (2142 views)
Shortcut
and they need to use there and back again. [In reply to] Can't Post

and it is best suited to the final film, so it's film 2 that get's the new name

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Post #12 of 112 (2188 views)
Shortcut
I like these three the best as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Battle of Five Armies" seems like an awkward title for a film which I am hoping will end with Bilbo back in Hobbiton again.

"There and Back Again" is just so perfect on every level.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 4:02pm

Post #13 of 112 (2209 views)
Shortcut
The heart breaks... [In reply to] Can't Post

"An Unexpected Journey" and "There and Back Again" were such perfect titles for the Hobbit films. They were completely in the spirit of Bilbo's journey. These new titles reek of "EPIC Lord of the Rings Prequel!"

I will be so sad if "There and Back Again" is not used as the final film's title. Unsure

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 4:02pm

Post #14 of 112 (2163 views)
Shortcut
"Battle of Five Armies" is news to me / [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:06pm

Post #15 of 112 (2118 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on the old titles being better [In reply to] Can't Post

Though my main concern is whether or not these films will be good, not what their names are. And at this point, I am inclined to believe that these films will benefit if PJ has more time, and more luxury to keep everything that's in the books in the films.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:06pm

Post #16 of 112 (2124 views)
Shortcut
I hope they come up with something better than that... // [In reply to] Can't Post

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:08pm

Post #17 of 112 (2133 views)
Shortcut
Since that happened long before the main story opens... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it seems an odd choice, even for a middle film of three.

Unless they're going to include a bunch of the backstory in the second film, which would be a huge momentum killer.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2012, 4:08pm

Post #18 of 112 (2199 views)
Shortcut
Agreed that these are the best three choices... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd prefer they stuck with AUJ and TABA, with TDOS for the middle chapter.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 4:10pm

Post #19 of 112 (2116 views)
Shortcut
And it doesn't refer to the event, but to the (geographical) location / [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:11pm

Post #20 of 112 (2084 views)
Shortcut
The Clouds Burst // [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2012, 4:12pm

Post #21 of 112 (2166 views)
Shortcut
Yes, AUJ and TABA were SO perfect. TBOFA in particular is just cumbersome as a title, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to recall some detractors referring to TTT as "Peter Jackon's Helm's Deep" back in 2002...imagine the ribbing if they actually name the entire third film after the major action setpiece and not Bilbo's exploits.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:15pm

Post #22 of 112 (2048 views)
Shortcut
I actually like that! A lot! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's much more interesting and picturesque than "The Battle of Five Armies." Tongue

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:16pm

Post #23 of 112 (2077 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which makes it even duller. Tongue

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:17pm

Post #24 of 112 (2151 views)
Shortcut
But he doesn't go there and back again... [In reply to] Can't Post

If he's already at Lonely Mountain by the end of film 2, he's already "there", so the movie would be "The Hobbit: Back Again" which sounds stupid. Pretty sure they're giving both movies new titles.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Jul 31 2012, 4:19pm

Post #25 of 112 (2106 views)
Shortcut
I hope they keep TABA... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and possibly go with TDOS for the middle film. Its a possibility as the second film could culminate in Smaugs attack on Dale.

A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.