The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
UC re-releasing LOTR items

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 2:01pm

Post #1 of 17 (3764 views)
Shortcut
UC re-releasing LOTR items Can't Post

Just got word that UC will be re-releasing Legolas' Knives around October 15th.

Derek at Smith Blades, who I have ordered LOTR weapons from in the past, has been able to pre-order 5. He's selling them at $165 + S&H, which is really reasonable! He can be reached at sales@smithblades.com , for some reason his website is currently down (Smith Blades).

He's also given a heads up that UC will be making an announcement on Hobbit related items soon, maybe in this week. I'll pass this info on as soon as I get it. Smile

But in Lindon Gil-Galad still maintained his power, and Sauron dared not as yet to pass the Mountains of Ered Luin nor to assail the Havens.

[The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age]

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 3:07pm

Post #2 of 17 (3435 views)
Shortcut
This is great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait for the announcement Smile. I wonder if it has been pushed forward (or behind) due to the films being split in 3.

imin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 7:50pm

Post #3 of 17 (3422 views)
Shortcut
Is it just the Legolas knives? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that this is not good news, it is Smile, just i was wondering if they are considering releasing any other lotr swords?

Or do they want their items to become collectors pieces? I say the shards of narsil go for $586 recently, so i bet whoever bought that really hopes they dont re-release, haha.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 8:10pm

Post #4 of 17 (3418 views)
Shortcut
I think they are also re-releasing Sting and Glamdring [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't hold me to that - I know they're still available though?

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 8:58pm

Post #5 of 17 (3476 views)
Shortcut
Not sure.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Digging through my emails from Derek to see if he mentioned any other swords being re-released. I thought he mentioned hearing something from UC along those lines but nothing definite.

The Shards of Narsil will be seen again in The Hobbit, so maybe UC will re-release that to coincide with the film? Just a guess! Smile

But in Lindon Gil-Galad still maintained his power, and Sauron dared not as yet to pass the Mountains of Ered Luin nor to assail the Havens.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 1 2012, 3:07am

Post #6 of 17 (3441 views)
Shortcut
I will be annoyed if they do that [In reply to] Can't Post

Limited Edition means Limited Edition. Just because it is under the banner of another movie means squat.

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Aug 1 2012, 12:07pm

Post #7 of 17 (3406 views)
Shortcut
Just received news of other items... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just received an email this morning about other items UC will be "re-releasing." Below is a copy of part of the email.

The Glamdring Sword will be released this fall as a "The Hobbit" movie collectible. No word as to if there is a difference between this version and "Lord of the Rings" version.

Sting Sword will be released this fall as a "The Hobbit" movie collectible. No word as to if there is a difference between this version and "Lord of the Rings" version.

Gandalf Staff will [be] released this fall. There is no word as to whether it is a re-release of the White Staff or if the Grey Staff will be introduced.

If/when pictures are made available, I'll be sure to post them.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2012, 12:37pm

Post #8 of 17 (3430 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for update AlatarielNoldo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I presume Sting will be the new version - black grip and no inscription.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2012, 4:43am

Post #9 of 17 (3386 views)
Shortcut
I imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

that Sting will be designed a bit differently (perhaps without the blade inscription?) so that the Sting released as part of LOTR's merchandising will remain a limited edition.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 2 2012, 9:37am

Post #10 of 17 (3379 views)
Shortcut
The standard Sting was never limited. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Shards of Narsil were, and I don't want the only difference between my one and another one with the same number to be the fact that one has the LOTR plaque and the other has TH plaque, for my Shards of Narsil are precious to me, my own, my precious.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Aug 2 2012, 9:45am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 9:45am

Post #11 of 17 (3362 views)
Shortcut
See my post above [In reply to] Can't Post

I presume that it will have a different grip (black) and be inscriptionless. There will be differences ... but not many.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 2 2012, 10:04am

Post #12 of 17 (3344 views)
Shortcut
Sting is justified [In reply to] Can't Post

as it has no runes in TH just the vine motif on the blade, but what is this about a black grip for Sting???????????

But I am adamant about the Shards, it was sold on the basis of being Limited Edition and it is no different in TH than in LOTR.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 10:07am

Post #13 of 17 (3386 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, yes - I missed your edit [In reply to] Can't Post

If they re-release the shards, they will be identical apart from the plack. Bet the price will have gone up Wink.

Images from the trailer (and some promo shots) suggest that Sting in The Hobbit, has a black grip, rather than a red-y one.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 11:47am

Post #14 of 17 (3347 views)
Shortcut
Not sure whether this deserved it's own thread or not [In reply to] Can't Post

But there is an update on the United Cutlery website regarding replicas for The Hobbit (which is still 2 films, apparently).

From 2001 to 2012 United® Cutlery produced a beloved collection of more than 50 licensed weapon, helm and prop replicas from the successful The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and we are proudly continuing that line with replicas of weapons and arms from director Peter Jackson's highly anticipated films The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again, productions of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). The line will consist of Dwarven and Elven weapons and arms replicas, along with signature icons, such as the Staff of Gandalf, Sting, and the legendary sword of Thorin Oakenshield, Orcrist. Each collectible will be exactly replicated from the actual film props created by Weta Workshop for the film production. Sting and Orcrist will lead off the line, which will be released in late 2012.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Aug 9 2012, 11:50am

Post #15 of 17 (3334 views)
Shortcut
From June [In reply to] Can't Post

It was still two films as far as they knew in June. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 11:51am

Post #16 of 17 (3341 views)
Shortcut
I should've looked at the date .... [In reply to] Can't Post

This isn't new news at all! I read the press release on a different website that had today's date on it.

My mistake Blush

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Aug 11 2012, 2:30pm

Post #17 of 17 (3397 views)
Shortcut
More info on LOTR items from UC [In reply to] Can't Post

Got another email from Derek. The following is what he had to say about the UC LOTR items.

Lord of the Rings - Release

Gandalf Staff: The exact same as previously released (Gandalf the White). No pricing as of yet, but likely around $125.
Fighting Knives of Legolas: The handles are being color matched to the movie props (which means a slight color variation than the previous release). Currently, we are preordering at $165.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.