Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3 Hobbit Films Confirmed
First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:23am

Post #351 of 378 (17203 views)
Shortcut
The Battle of Azanulbizar does have a lot to do with Thorin's story, however [In reply to] Can't Post

And IMO, the Hobbit is about how Bilbo and Thorin view the world differently, and how a blend of their two modes is the best sort of way to be...

So, in my view, a Hobbit film with lots of dwarven history stuff in it is still the Hobbit.

And lastly, it's a bit strange to say that this is becoming just a collection of tales with the Quest of Erebor among them, just because some people here are calling for the addition of Aragorn and Arwen, and the fall of Arnor. As far as I am aware, these people are not part of the production, and have no say in what gets included. My sense is that PJ and company will be sticking to the timeframe of the Hobbit, and the general narrative of the Hobbit, and will simply indulge a bit more of the dwarven history, and the goings on at Laketown and Thranduil's Halls.

I don't think we're getting any bridge material per se. This will all be Hobbit, with Hobbit-related stuff from the Appendices.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 31 2012, 6:27am)

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:28am

Post #352 of 378 (17164 views)
Shortcut
No.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Milknut
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 6:29am

Post #353 of 378 (17135 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. Hope they know what they're doing.// [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:45am

Post #354 of 378 (17182 views)
Shortcut
I can haz parshull tikit refund? Ossim! =) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jul 31 2012, 6:47am)

Milknut
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 6:58am

Post #355 of 378 (17256 views)
Shortcut
I actually think the multiple endings think could have easily been avoided. [In reply to] Can't Post

All they would have had to do is not black out so long in between each "ending." It only felt weird because the audience kept expecting each shot to be the last and when it wasn't it was jarring. If they'd cut more smoothly it would have felt a lot better.

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:59am

Post #356 of 378 (17206 views)
Shortcut
Agreed 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't the content of LOTR's film ending that was the problem. It was the execution.

That is the overriding problem with PJ's films, IMO. Poor execution, all around.

Milknut
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 8:08am

Post #357 of 378 (17175 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't go nearly that far.// [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

redgiant
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 8:20am

Post #358 of 378 (17236 views)
Shortcut
The telling of Arnor, Azanulbizar, Fornost/Witch-king, Aragorn/Elros/Ring of Barahir, Durin's Bane will be woven into the trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Both as great depth of history, and as connector threads to LOTR later.

They will have many AHA! moments for the audience to realize "Oh, THAT's where that started".

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 8:47am

Post #359 of 378 (17088 views)
Shortcut
I think they do... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wish I had some happy dust to sprinkle around here.

So far as I can see, the only reason Peter Jackson would have gone to the studio with a request to add more filming and split this into three films is because he thinks it will work better. Better. He wants to make the best possible film.

Is he right? No idea. I don't know but - get this - nor does anyone else here. None of us have seen the scripts. No one knows what material he is adding or - even more crucially - HOW he is adding it. Seems to me that people are upsetting themselves with their own theories, which might bear no relation whatever to the actual film.

There is no fixed length for an adaptation. I could outline the story of the Hobbit in a couple of minutes while Rob Inglis takes 11 hours to read it unabridged - and that's without explaining where Gandalf went. I'm completely baffled by the way posters here who liked the latest production video and were positively ecstatic about the panoramic poster and the details coming out from Comic-con are now rushing round in circles shouting 'Doom!' and 'Tell the King the sky is falling' because a film they were looking forward to in two parts is now to be divided into three.

It's the same film. Anyone who had reservations before, or who simply doesn't like Peter Jackson's films, I can understand, but the rest? It seems very sad to me if people who were quite prepared to enjoy this a few weeks ago are going to talk themselves into rejecting now it even before they've seen it, just because it's divided differently.

Me? I go back to the trailer, which I enjoyed, the production videos, which I enjoyed, the panoramic poster, which is brilliant. Everything (almost everything) I've seen so far looks extremely good and I'm looking forward to seeing the film. Then I'll decide if I like it or not.

Nightingale
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 12:11pm

Post #360 of 378 (17080 views)
Shortcut
Oh blast. Not too pleased about this one// [In reply to] Can't Post

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Noria
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 1:01pm

Post #361 of 378 (17160 views)
Shortcut
Well said dormouse... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but too sensible when people are enjoying themselves so much freaking out. But I agree with every word. Then, I'm almost always on the side of "wait and see how it turns out in the finished movie" concerning spoilers and leaks.

I too believe that when PJ, Fran and Philippa looked at the rough cut of The Hobbit, they likely saw that they had way more great footage than they could comfortably fit into two films. With some additional filming, some of which was already planned, they could make three better movies. This upsizing of The Hobbit to epic proportions is fine with me.

I love the LotR EEs but that is because they include additional material. If the equivalent material makes it into The Hobbit theatrical versions, I'll be happy. But probably there will be Hobbit EEs anyway; too much money to be made.

Arathorn
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 1:04pm

Post #362 of 378 (17094 views)
Shortcut
Three times? [In reply to] Can't Post

However, people trust him to make a good film set in Middle-earth because he's done it three times already.

Sorry, but just like LOTR is one very big book sometimes split into 3 volumes, LOTR is one very long 11+ hours movie, usually split into 3 extended editions - and into many more DVDs.
Though I can assure you it makes for a very good (but very long) viewing session Wink

"Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time may start to think."
- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2012, 1:29pm

Post #363 of 378 (17054 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Im not sure if you re making fun of me....but if youre not, then indeed i forgot that summer time here in Europe means Winter time down under!
Something to consider....

Proudfeet suit ...or Radagast's bird pooped costume?Wink

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 3:47pm

Post #364 of 378 (17009 views)
Shortcut
Encore - Light Your Flame [In reply to] Can't Post

Milknut: I actually think the multiple endings think could have easily been avoided. All they would have had to do is not black out so long in between each "ending." It only felt weird because the audience kept expecting each shot to be the last and when it wasn't it was jarring. If they'd cut more smoothly it would have felt a lot better.

Or you could be more positive about it and treat each ending like encores at a concert. Quite the opposite of jarring, it makes me happy and appreciative to see that it is NOT yet the end of the night when the performers come out to play a little more after a fantastic show.

Also, I think the fades in this context are much more appropriate than cuts. The fades connote a passage of time and separate events. Cuts imply a faster, concurrent pace. After the climax, it's time to relax.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 31 2012, 3:53pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 4:24pm

Post #365 of 378 (16909 views)
Shortcut
Isn't great art about violating the audience's expectations? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 4:34pm

Post #366 of 378 (16919 views)
Shortcut
Great Art [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean like Prometheus?

Wink

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:35pm

Post #367 of 378 (16887 views)
Shortcut
Please be assured, Lusitano, [In reply to] Can't Post

that I was, indeed, making fun of you.Sly

Whatever costume you wear should be wind- and waterproof. I fear we will have a soggy, cold red carpet event for The Hobbit: There!... and There!...and There! and Back Again.

But we will meet here with bells on nonetheless! Lusitano, my friend, that will be a night to remember!Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:37pm

Post #368 of 378 (16923 views)
Shortcut
Narratively, that film was a mess [In reply to] Can't Post

But I admit that visually, it was very affecting. In fact, I can't get it out of my head...

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:49pm

Post #369 of 378 (16859 views)
Shortcut
Happy dust is certainly needed, Dormouse. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just imagine all the tossing and turning last night. I for one slept like a baby. The wait is over. The other shoe has dropped. It's out of our hands, Tornfolk - and it has always been so; fortunately, because how would we ever decide how to do it? The Hobbit: By Consensus. It would never happen. Laugh

Now we can get on here with some productive speculation about what will be in each film.
Angelic

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:51pm

Post #370 of 378 (16880 views)
Shortcut
*groan*// [In reply to] Can't Post

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jul 31 2012, 7:11pm

Post #371 of 378 (16913 views)
Shortcut
"...but my own adventure turned out to be quite different" [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope PJ do not forget the importance of that line, and I'm confident he wont.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 7:41pm

Post #372 of 378 (16841 views)
Shortcut
Good point, Oscarilbo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo will not be as personally damaged as Frodo. Even though he will go through dark times and be tested by dangerous events, he'll come out of it a stronger hobbit than when he began. Bilbo is still life-loving and joyful, if not completely unaffected by the Ring, when we see him at 111 in Fellowship.

"...but my own adventure turned out to be quite different"

By the time Frodo meets Bilbo in Rivendell and says those words, however, he has already received a wound that will never leave him. He'll continue with his mission because of his strength of character, but due to the effect of the Ring and the Morgul blade, he will never again be the same happy hobbit he was when he left the Shire.

There is a difference in tone between TH and LOTR, and I agree that the writers will not forget that. Bilbo is going to have a rollicking good time with those dwarves - at least that's how he'll come to look back on it when it's all over.Wink

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2012, 7:46pm

Post #373 of 378 (16846 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a feeling....(slowly removes dagger from pocket....)Evil

Indeed you seem to have that wonderfully dry and warm british weather Wink

Indeed it shall! I shall have the best costume! I shall go as Playboy Smeagol Laugh

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 8:00pm

Post #374 of 378 (16860 views)
Shortcut
There have been pigs flying by my window all day, [In reply to] Can't Post

but now I don't know who is responsible for them - Milknut or Shelob's Appetite!

SA and I found a lot of common ground days ago (Yay! Woo woo!), but what is this?!

It wasn't the content of LOTR's film ending that was the problem. It was the execution.

That is the overriding problem with PJ's films, IMO. Poor execution, all around.

(Wha!!!!!Tongue I'll meet you over on the LOTR forum, boy-o!Pirate)

And then Milknut weighs in with

I wouldn't go nearly that far.

It has been a topsy turvy kind of 24 hours.LaughWink
At least we're having fun again.
Cheers, everyone!

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 8:12pm

Post #375 of 378 (16890 views)
Shortcut
But I do agree with you and JW about Prometheus. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least if I understand you both to mean that it was just a bit disappointing for whatever reason.

But that's for Off Topic, right?Angelic
And a road to finding new allies and enemies.Evil

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.