Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3 Hobbit Films Confirmed
First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

Slayer_Of_Orcs
The Shire

Jul 31 2012, 2:23am

Post #326 of 378 (18136 views)
Shortcut
Wow ... I didn't see THAT coming [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, there has been chatter. But, there you have it. Two have become three.

I wouldn't want it to happen this way unless Jackson and crew were doing it.

We are waiting ...

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 2:24am

Post #327 of 378 (18071 views)
Shortcut
My only questioning [In reply to] Can't Post

has to do with the possible one sidedness or brevity of the battle. They could do all those things as noted and the battle could be (not neccessarily is) over in minutes as opposed to the long drawn out spectacle we are gauranteed.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2012, 2:30am

Post #328 of 378 (18054 views)
Shortcut
Agreed 1000% HiddenSpring and well said // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 2:39am

Post #329 of 378 (18086 views)
Shortcut
Whoch would be AWESOME [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 2:46am

Post #330 of 378 (18114 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

Better stop smokin that stuff.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jul 31 2012, 2:47am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 2:51am

Post #331 of 378 (18034 views)
Shortcut
Which! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I do wish there were a word "woch."

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 3:00am

Post #332 of 378 (18101 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, not buying it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The further afield Jackson floated from the original story, the more convoluted and inane the plot became. Now he's going to drag The Hobbit out over three full length movies?

We'll see Bilbo and the Dwarves once every 15 minutes while PJ throws in his absurd fan-fiction subplots, and he'll lose the charm of the original. And it is fan-fiction. I don't have to pay to read fan-fiction, I shouldn't have to pay to watch it.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 3:09am

Post #333 of 378 (18063 views)
Shortcut
Don't even say that [In reply to] Can't Post

If I have to wait until 2013 to see Beorn because of this decision, I am going to hit the roof.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 3:16am

Post #334 of 378 (18083 views)
Shortcut
The thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

Novels are generally too long for films. If the Hobbit is done full justice, with no details omitted and Gandalf's whereabouts explained, it would likely take around 9 or 10 hours to tell...

The way I see it: LOTR was far too short, and far too much was omitted. The Hobbit in three films may be just right.

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 3:32am

Post #335 of 378 (18036 views)
Shortcut
I can read The Hobbit in less time than that [In reply to] Can't Post

You do not need nine hours to tell this story faithfully on screen.

And honestly, it doesn't have to be a slavish, literal "word-by-word" translation so long as they capture the spirit and tone of the narrative, and never lose sight of what the story is all about.

(This post was edited by duats on Jul 31 2012, 3:39am)

Samuel Walters
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 3:37am

Post #336 of 378 (17961 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

If for no other reason than another Hobbit film means another Middle Earth score from Maestro Shore!

Dauntlessmedia.net: Reviews and analysis of modern media (Star Trek, BSG, Lost, LOTR, etc.)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 3:40am

Post #337 of 378 (18001 views)
Shortcut
What was the original context of your comment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nvm, I remember it now (I was even in on that subthread Crazy)... here's a link in case anyone else is wondering.

It is a point worth repeating, that Tolkien's The Hobbit and PJ's The Hobbit are two entirely different animals.

I just wish Morthoron would tell us what they really think. Wink

No really, I can sympathize with both points of view. The agreement gave PJ a blank slate but that doesn't mean it is wise (or right even) to do whatever he wants to with the source material -- why mess with a good thing and all that? However, people trust him to make a good film set in Middle-earth because he's done it three times already. But the spirit of The Hobbit is worth preserving, as much as possible.

I'm not sure how a third film is going to alter the essence of The Hobbit any more than two films were going to already. A touch of sadness attends the realization that this is likely more about increasing gross revenue than it is about doing the original stories justice.

But that's been lingering behind the scenes with this production all along. I'm not sure that was the case while they were making LOTR. It seems that they were just trying to make some great movies... whether they would see a good return was more of a gamble that time around. (Still, counting on a big box office this time around is looking risky the longer they drag things out.)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 31 2012, 3:43am)

Bombatones
The Shire

Jul 31 2012, 4:01am

Post #338 of 378 (18024 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I think you're close... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that half of Dol Guldur and The Desolation of Smaug will be film 2. Then the conclusion of Dol Guldur, TBo5A and the "back again " for film 3.

That leaves plenty of space for other appendices material and fanfic. If we're lucky maybe we'll get an extended Däin vs Azog flashback.

Either way, I'm glad there's three films. having The Desolation and TBo5A in one movie couldn't have done either justice imho.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 4:11am

Post #339 of 378 (17971 views)
Shortcut
But here's the thing [In reply to] Can't Post

With the two-film version, PJ already decided that he wasn't just making the Hobbit. He as making a set of films that would tie into the larger story of LOTR, and that would include Ganda;f's whereabouts, and a bit on dwarven history.

Now, a two-film version of this kind of Hobbit might end up feeling flabby and overstuffed.

On the other hand, slightly shorter three-film versions of this kind of Hobbit might end up feeling much tighter and more contained.

I really think that PJ and company were worrying that the two films materializing in their editing rooms were feeling so overstuffed (though with great stuff) that it would a tragedy not to turn it into three films.

In my perfect world, we would have gotten an adaptation of the Hobbit book, from the perspective of Bilbo Baggins. Nothing more, nothing less. But having accepted the reality of a LOTR prequel, I want them to make three epic films, full of dwarven, mannish and wightish history. An alternative epic to the LOTR films, which I may just enjoy more.

rings7
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 4:17am

Post #340 of 378 (17915 views)
Shortcut
Most likely [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope the first movie at least stays the way it is. Shire-Barrels. If they're making the third one, i wanted that to be a bridge to the trilogy. But, i guess that'll continue to be my wish.Unsure

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 31 2012, 4:18am

Post #341 of 378 (18026 views)
Shortcut
Re-posted for Grizzly: The Hobbit - The Phantom Menace [In reply to] Can't Post

Please don't get me wrong, I am not some pre-teen hater. I have been an avid reader of all thing Tolkien for over 40 years now and have some understanding of the film industry.

That said, I'm feeling a bit of dread over the upcoming films and a bit more dread at the thought of three of them? Why?

I have more than a little bit of tolerance with artistic license, with the need to alter bits of the material to allow for the film to flow. Hence, I'm okay with Tom Bombadil being dropped, Glorfindel, adding more of a role for Arwen etc. I was a titch less than okay though with what I saw as Mr. Jackson's alterations of the underlying ethos of the LOTR films, the fact that he emphasized the frailty and even veniality of the human race to the point where he made unnecessary alterations to the basic story (Faramir, Denethor etc.)

You also can't ignore the bizarre alterations that were considered and discarded, like having Sauron fight Aragorn at the gates.

What does all this have to do with The Hobbit? Well I was a bit squeamish at the sight of the axe in Bifur's head, particularly since it seemed to be a bad joke ("Bifurcate"?), but I am getting alarmed at reports of Bunny sleds and battle pigs. I guess the straw that is breaking my back is the rumour that Sauron (the Necromancer) will be making an appearance at the Battle of the Five Armies.

Just don't have Jar-Jar Binks show up.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 4:23am

Post #342 of 378 (17969 views)
Shortcut
I even hesitate to call it "this Hobbit" at this point [In reply to] Can't Post

This is becoming more and more like a collection of tales with the Quest for Erebor thrown in. Especially now that we have people actively advocating for the inclusions of Arwen and Aragorn's relationship, the Witchking's war in the north, Aragorn's hunt for Gollum (nevermind the continuity error), the Battle of Azanulbizar, and all of these other events that have absolutely nothing to do with Bilbo's story. Heck, I've even seen people suggest throwing in Tom Bombadil "just cuz."

I'm sorry, but this isn't what I wanted. Up until now, I was led to believe that this was going to be The Hobbit with Gandalf's subplot fleshed out - and that this was easily doable in two 2.5-3 hour movies. Okay. Fine. It's not ideal, but how much time could it possibly take away from Bilbo's adventure? It took me months, but I finally got to a point of cautious acceptance.

But then they decide at the very last minute (literally, days after they ended principal photography) that they have even more they want to add in? It truly puts me at a loss for words.

I love Tolkien's mythology as a collective whole, but I love the individual chapters as well. For a movie touted to be an adaptation of The Hobbit, that's what I want. An adaptation of THIS story, and THIS story alone. I do not want to see material from the appendices shoe-horned in at the expense of this story. As a fan of The Hobbit, it truly drives me crazy. These attempts to work in various tie-ins to LoTR are both superfluous and unnecessary. Because no matter how many battles they throw in, no matter how many flashbacks they incorporate, no matter how many subplots they expand upon - there is no connection PJ can come up with that will match the effective simplicity of that one climactic scene deep below the Misty Mountains.

(This post was edited by duats on Jul 31 2012, 4:32am)

galadriel
The Shire

Jul 31 2012, 4:31am

Post #343 of 378 (17945 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, PJ and crew!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So happy about this news. Can't have enough Tolkien and Middle Earth. Something so happy to look forward to in this sad world. Deep gratitude to P.J. for loving us so much to give us more and ditto to Howard Shore !

galadriel

galadriel
The Shire

Jul 31 2012, 4:33am

Post #344 of 378 (17950 views)
Shortcut
Wholeheartedly ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... agree with you, Gramma!! :)

galadriel

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 31 2012, 4:34am

Post #345 of 378 (17963 views)
Shortcut
Therein lies the beauty of it [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have to pay to read fan-fiction, I shouldn't have to pay to watch it.

You don't have to.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Jul 31 2012, 4:52am

Post #346 of 378 (18026 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't understand when people say on here that they want a pure "hobbit" story, when we are all fans of middle earth and the fact that we're being shown MORE of it in an epic fashion makes people upset. Wouldn't you rather have an epic compared to a character analysis of a hobbit?

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 5:01am

Post #347 of 378 (18033 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Because that's what The Hobbit is: an unsuspecting hobbit's journey - both physical and emotional. It offers such wonderful contrast to the trilogy. It's not an epic, and it's never pretended to be. Why else did Tolkien abandon the revisions he had planned for the novel (ones that would have better connected it to LoTR)? He realized what he'd be losing. PJ is simply continuing something that the author, the creator of this mythology, ultimately said "no" to.

Even with all of this additional material being added to a story that doesn't call for it, PJ is barely scratching the surface of Tolkien's work. We're never going to see everything Tolkien wrote committed on screen. I'm perfectly fine with that, because what I lack in actual physical substance, I can make up for in my imagination - with the help of Tolkien's text to provide the outlines.

Adapting The Hobbit in the style of The Lord of the Rings is about as appealing to me as adapting The Lord of the Rings in the style of The Hobbit. How would that have worked out for everyone?

(This post was edited by duats on Jul 31 2012, 5:08am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 5:21am

Post #348 of 378 (18061 views)
Shortcut
Hmpf. And watch it be a total damned deviation from the final battles of Arnor and Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

as described in the book. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't involve The Elves in it at all. I hope I am wrong about him making the revisions so obnoxious as to not even accurately play the appendicies addednda that he inserts. We shall see.

In Reply To
Here comes the 20-minute "Fall of Arnor" scene...TongueBlush

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:01am

Post #349 of 378 (18025 views)
Shortcut
You are welcome to come to winter in Wellington, in that case. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just thrilled to hear that you plan to see Film 3, Lusitano. You could even participate in a red carpet parade here in celebration!.EvilLaugh

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:19am

Post #350 of 378 (17941 views)
Shortcut
I like this division of films and reasoning, SirDennisC. [In reply to] Can't Post

Episode I: Riddles in the Dark
Episode II: The Desolation of Smaug
Episode III: A Gathering Storm (or The Battle of Five Armies)

They would be similar in tone and structure to the LOTR movies:

FOTR: light and optimistic
TTT: dark and brooding
ROTK: epic and triumphant

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.