Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you prefer two TH movies or three?
Poll: Do you prefer two TH movies or three?
Three
Two
I trust PJ / 2 or 3 is the same for me
Other
View Results (154 votes)

Erufaildon
Bree

Jul 30 2012, 10:52pm

Post #1 of 23 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Do you prefer two TH movies or three? Can't Post

With the news today that there will be three Hobbit movies, I know a lot of people have different opinions on that and I was wondering what the general consensus around here was?

I've also included "other" if there's anyone who feels neither two or three is the right way to go for the Hobbit.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 10:55pm

Post #2 of 23 (621 views)
Shortcut
Heck! I voted 3! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if this very morning I was saying I didn't want a trilogy!

I've been won over Wink

Erufaildon
Bree

Jul 30 2012, 11:02pm

Post #3 of 23 (613 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, the more the merrier. But I have a big fear that 3 movies will make parts of them rushed, uneven and of lower quality then what we could get with 2 movies.

Knowing myself, I'll probably change my mind several times before the release though Wink

Sam20
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 11:32pm

Post #4 of 23 (621 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I've voted for two because I think it would've been enough to adapt the story of the book without neglecting and forsaking too many elements as has been done with LOTR by one movie a book. Now, they said that they need three film to really tell the story and his background but my guess is that lots of invented stuff, fan-fiction like, based on their interpretation and maybe not Tolkien's work will be included. I fear that they try to stretch it too long, like butter over bread for perhaps money purpose since The Hobbit is probably the last book of Tolkien's work that will be adapt on screen.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jul 30 2012, 11:37pm)

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Jul 31 2012, 3:09am

Post #5 of 23 (625 views)
Shortcut
3 sort of [In reply to] Can't Post

I would rather 'the Hobbit' be 2 films with film 3 being something out of the appendix or Unfinished Tales.

sador
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 5:49am

Post #6 of 23 (615 views)
Shortcut
One. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 8:25am

Post #7 of 23 (602 views)
Shortcut
While The Hobbit is 1 book [In reply to] Can't Post

I think 1 film would've felt too rushed.

2 films was perfect, but now it seems they want to delve more into even more detail. 3 is a perfect number for The Hobbit plot, the Dol Guldur sub-plot, and any other bits and pieces they want to film. I just want titles now!

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 11:56am

Post #8 of 23 (584 views)
Shortcut
2 + [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with tolkiennerd - I would like The Hobbit to remain just 2 films, and the 3rd to be a different one entirely, because it will be based on material not found in The Hobbit, from my understanding. Even if it contains some elements of The Hobbit, then it won't be true to the book, I guess. I'm sure there is enough material in the appendicies to lend itself to a different title other than The Hobbit.

Noria
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 12:13pm

Post #9 of 23 (622 views)
Shortcut
Two or three [In reply to] Can't Post

I am choosing to believe PJ when he says he has the material for three movies, though I was happy with two. More Middel Earth, if it's good, is better.

Nightingale
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 12:17pm

Post #10 of 23 (621 views)
Shortcut
Agree completely// [In reply to] Can't Post

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 12:44pm

Post #11 of 23 (508 views)
Shortcut
I voted for two, [In reply to] Can't Post

But with a nights sleep I actually can see a trilogy based on The Hobbit (and the appendices related) a smart choice really ;)
My only fear is that it will be more appendix material than The Hobbit... :/

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2012, 1:05pm

Post #12 of 23 (506 views)
Shortcut
i [In reply to] Can't Post

Two is the perfect number for the TH

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Jul 31 2012, 1:23pm

Post #13 of 23 (523 views)
Shortcut
Other :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in the "two Hobbit films and a bridge" camp and I'm still trying to adjust to the idea of three Hobbit films. (I'm slow.)

...and no matter what I say now, I know I'll be there in the theater the day each one opens. Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:05pm

Post #14 of 23 (497 views)
Shortcut
That's how I am. [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly didn't want 3 movies, but I know I'll be seeing them and will probably enjoy them very much.

the_argonath
Lorien

Jul 31 2012, 9:22pm

Post #15 of 23 (441 views)
Shortcut
Voted for "Trust" [In reply to] Can't Post

I was cool with 2, thinking that 3 would be too stretched out and making it just for the sake of having a complete trilogy. But I don't think the team would release a sub-standard movie, so we have to trust them Crazy

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 11:41pm

Post #16 of 23 (495 views)
Shortcut
It would depend upon the scripts [In reply to] Can't Post

How exactly are they going to expand the story to fill three long movies? If the time is needed to tell the story well, great, the more the merrier, but if it's just goes on and on and on.... two would be more than sufficient.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 1 2012, 4:03pm

Post #17 of 23 (403 views)
Shortcut
One. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eredhion
The Shire

Aug 1 2012, 7:10pm

Post #18 of 23 (410 views)
Shortcut
I trust PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

xy
Rohan

Aug 1 2012, 8:30pm

Post #19 of 23 (458 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

One 3 hour movie is more than enough.

Sam20
Lorien

Aug 2 2012, 11:34pm

Post #20 of 23 (358 views)
Shortcut
Films [In reply to] Can't Post

@tolkiennerd

quote:

'I would rather 'the Hobbit' be 2 films with film 3 being something out of the appendix or Unfinished Tales.'

Unfinished Tales or part of it cannot be adapted by PJ or anyone else since it is protected by a copyright which is owned by the Tolkien Estate.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Aug 2 2012, 11:37pm)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 3 2012, 3:22am

Post #21 of 23 (405 views)
Shortcut
Me too. (You write and I'll film--except [In reply to] Can't Post

your writing is a hundred times better than my "filming"!)Evil

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 3 2012, 7:29am

Post #22 of 23 (391 views)
Shortcut
Nice of you to say so, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I'd know how to write a screenplay. That's a whole different writing skill.

I'm looking forward to the movies, but I hope the vast number of hours doesn't mean hours and hours of drawn-out battle scenes like the interminable cave troll scene in FotR. I think one movie would be a lot tighter and better.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2012, 11:13pm

Post #23 of 23 (516 views)
Shortcut
I trust PJ as well [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was anyone but PJ or Guillermo I would not be a happy camper right now
but it is hard to look at PJ's (and Guillermo's when he was directing) enthusiasm and think that it is all about money

(This post was edited by Oiotári on Aug 3 2012, 11:14pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.