Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Hobbit & LotR: Which versions are the best?

The_Chosen_1

Jul 30 2012, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 10 (524 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit & LotR: Which versions are the best? Can't Post

Hello everyone!

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place; please feel free to move it if so. I'm a first-time poster here on the TORn boards. Wink

I've just recently gotten back into Tolkien (I've always been a huge fan of the films, and have read The Hobbit and LotR twice. Not much, but better than some!) and am looking into purchasing my first copies of all of Tolkien's Middle-Earth works. My question to you fellow Ringers is this: if you could only have one published version of both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, which would it be?

I'm considering the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0618968636/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343681229&sr=1-1&keywords=the+hobbit
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-50th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0618517650/ref=pd_ybh_5

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 30 2012, 9:02pm

Post #2 of 10 (220 views)
Shortcut
If I only could have one published verions of The Hobbit, [In reply to] Can't Post

I would go with The Annotated Hobbit. Either that or a signed first edition in mint condition!

Yes, it's cool to have the 50th Anniversary Edition of LotR, which is in my library, but frankly, I never read it. It's too heavy! I'm more likely to read it the Kindle e-book!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2012, 11:37pm

Post #3 of 10 (226 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Douglas Anderson's Annotated Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

is the most informative, by far, and I love it!

(Although I also have, quite by serendipity, a 2004 deluxe edition, with a foreword by Christopher, filled with Tolkien's artwork, and a Map which folds out and can be held up to the light of the Moon (or lamp) to read the hidden runes. But the Annotated is still the best.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 3:41pm

Post #4 of 10 (187 views)
Shortcut
The Alan Lee illustrations are great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with the Annotated Hobbit if you're interested in that kind of commentary, but for sheer enjoyment, I'd go with the Alan Lee illustrated versions of both TH and LOTR.

I also have the Anniversary Ed., which is beautifully done, but I agree with Curious that it's too heavy to read comfortably.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 1 2012, 10:56pm

Post #5 of 10 (150 views)
Shortcut
I love the Annotated Hobbit, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is also worth having another copy, even if it is a cheap used paperback, to just read through the book. The annotations are so interesting that it is impossible, for me at least, to actually just read through the story without getting sidetracked.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

The_Chosen_1

Aug 2 2012, 3:31am

Post #6 of 10 (135 views)
Shortcut
Thanks guys [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Veronwe, that happens to be the conclusion that I came to as well. I went ahead and ordered the softcover one-volume Lord of the Rings (released in 2004 I believe, for the 50th anniversary), as well as a hardcover copy of The Hobbit (released in 2007, with the Tolkien dust jacket illustration - the same as the link in my first post).

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2012, 12:17pm

Post #7 of 10 (133 views)
Shortcut
One advantege of the Annotated Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it contains the original version of the riddle game; where Gollum kept his promise and showed Bilbo the way out.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 2 2012, 12:43pm

Post #8 of 10 (102 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2012, 7:52pm

Post #9 of 10 (96 views)
Shortcut
...but I know what you mean about being sidetracked.// [In reply to] Can't Post

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 2 2012, 8:28pm

Post #10 of 10 (248 views)
Shortcut
That Deluxe Edition [In reply to] Can't Post

must be absolutely gorgeous!! How wonderful to own something like that. :D

I agree with what seems to be the consensus - an easily-replaced paperback copy is best for reading, abusing, dog-earing, dropping in the bath accidentally, whatever. Plus a copy of The Annotated Hobbit for reference if you like. It's really nice to have both.

Edit: Referring to The Hobbit only. I've only got reading-copy paperbacks of LotR.

(This post was edited by DesiringDragons on Aug 2 2012, 8:30pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.