Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3 Hobbit Films Confirmed
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

wondering

Jul 30 2012, 6:52pm

Post #201 of 378 (20555 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion: how to do it [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion: 10 movies, $100 billion profit, give $10 billion to the Tolkien estate, $10 billion to their favorite charities, everybody's happy and it gets done. How to link 10 movies together cohesively on a common, compelling thread consistent with the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies in a way that keeps film goers coming back for more and a mind-blowing final movie that occurs AFTER events of ROTK with everything remaining true to the Histories of Middle Earth and Lost Tales? I have a plan and it could make people feverishly excited for years to come. Anyone else have a strategy?

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 6:55pm

Post #202 of 378 (20573 views)
Shortcut
Extremely dissapointed [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh well, this IS probably going to be a an over bloated mess that hardly resembles the book, but hey at least I get an extra soundtrack from Howard Shore (that is if PJ doesn't sack him when recording starts).

I'm sort of still looking forward to the movies but it's more nervous curiosity than excitement.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 6:57pm

Post #203 of 378 (20532 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather they spent $100 billion on solving the world economic crises and world poverty before spending that kind of money on the Silmarillion ;-P / [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2012, 6:59pm

Post #204 of 378 (20478 views)
Shortcut
My&Your Goldberry..And [In reply to] Can't Post

Karen Wyann Fonstad
Our Professor &wife Edith along Luhtien
IN Valinor...they

Send a Special Beam of Elfin..
Enlightenment
as they DANCE!
to PJ's Song..

Bomby is especially Proud to know TORn..

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 7:01pm

Post #205 of 378 (20474 views)
Shortcut
The Master of Filthy Lucre-town?// [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

namarie
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 7:01pm

Post #206 of 378 (20406 views)
Shortcut
Same here // [In reply to] Can't Post

There is always hope

Vangalad
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 7:02pm

Post #207 of 378 (20423 views)
Shortcut
I second that ! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd rather they spent $100 billion on solving the world economic crises and world poverty before spending that kind of money on the Silmarillion ;-P

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Jul 30 2012, 7:05pm

Post #208 of 378 (20410 views)
Shortcut
Ya'll have become spoiled [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't all of you remember the era between 2006-2008? We thought we'd never see even one hobbit movie. Now we get three, and ya'll are complaining. Geez. Peter Jackson did great with LOTR. Don't be so quick in giving judgment against these movies. I'm very excited.

namarie
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 7:05pm

Post #209 of 378 (20389 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

your post made me smile Smile

There is always hope

irodino
Bree

Jul 30 2012, 7:11pm

Post #210 of 378 (20414 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting a SW prequels vibe [In reply to] Can't Post

My confidence level in this project has fallen to about 23% now. It's not that I don't believe it is impossible to find and film enough material for 3 movies here, but rather I find it doubtful a coherent fabric can be created from an already existing footage that was designed for two but is now split in three. I feel history will repeat itself, as it always does and PJ will pull a GL, and the Hobbit will feel like the Star Wars prequels compared to LOTR. It's not that hard to imagine, PJ's movies after LOTR were lukewarm at best, and he nearly ruined the LOTR movies too with some really horrible deas like having Aragorn fight Sauron physically, and only by some miracle changed his mind in the last moment - I fear such blunders will not be avoided this time around.

I don't think there is enough justification now to call this movie The Hobbit anymore. With 3 movies, the amount of content added should exceed and possibly overshadow the story of Bilbo and as such it may be more suitable to call this The LOTR Prequel.. or something like

The Lord Of The Rings: Sixty Years Earlier: Episode 1, 2 and 3 ;)

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that terrible in-between."

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 30 2012, 7:12pm

Post #211 of 378 (20385 views)
Shortcut
Yay! More movies to watch about my favorite story and character! [In reply to] Can't Post

To the nay-sayers:
How many extra movies would it have taken to film a version of LOTR that included all the parts that got cut?
How many extra movies would it have taken to film a version of LOTR that included both the parts that were cut and relevant appendix material?

Think about it ...

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 7:20pm

Post #212 of 378 (20403 views)
Shortcut
Blame the Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

If there weren't so many of them, they could probably have done the Hobbit as one movie.

During the LOTR movies, all of the Companions were given a chance to shine. One can assume all the members of Thorin's gang need a certain amount of time for character development too.

---------------------------------------------------------

So, when will we get that War in the North movie? I'm hoping that in the next few years they find a way to make it happen. The Hobbit was the first Middle-Earth book I read, so I was a bit disappointed find that only a few of Bilbo's companions were in the Lord of the Rings. Then I read the LOTR appendices.....

[Note to Peter Jackson - Please start filming War of the North-related scenes with the actors and sets you have now. You may have a problem getting hold of some of them later.]

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2012, 7:24pm

Post #213 of 378 (20398 views)
Shortcut
Embarrement of Richs? [In reply to] Can't Post

.others have posted before.
Each Chapter is designed to be
The Bedtime Story...
you need to hear
before dreaming.

Bomby

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jul 30 2012, 7:28pm

Post #214 of 378 (20523 views)
Shortcut
I bet each film to be shorter than 3 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

and perhaps no EE

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

triptrap
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 7:33pm

Post #215 of 378 (20407 views)
Shortcut
my head exlodes right now [In reply to] Can't Post

this piece of news just kicked me right of the chair - in a negative way! like cptn. salt i have always been pretty positive about pj's style and his adapting of tolkien, especially after the latest blog and the picture scroll!

damn, pj, you just gave me a total knock-out! i really had to gather myself up and ( i'm just asking myself: how and why? all the time) find it extremely hard to see that a three-movies hobbit is a wise decision that works story-wise etc.

right now the only way i feel i could be pleased with a three part extended hobbit, is if they really concentrate on the hobbit, concentrate on their story, on the history and legacy of the dwarves. every other thing would stop it from being "the Hobbit" to me.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 7:36pm

Post #216 of 378 (20419 views)
Shortcut
Aren't we forgetting something? [In reply to] Can't Post

When doing the math in regards to The Hobbit shouldn't we at least include the relevant amount of pages of the appendices?

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2012, 7:49pm

Post #217 of 378 (20294 views)
Shortcut
I don't think the maths works like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

As it assumes two things, one of which isn't true and one of which is questionable.

Firstly it assumes a direct relationship between the size of the source material and the length of the adaptation. Whilst this seems intuitively true a bit of digging shows that no such simple relationship exists. Adaptations of very similar length have been created from source material as short as 5,000 words and as long as 250,000 words. I have looked at quite a number of these length relationships and would argue there is no such direct correlation.

Secondly it assumes that if there is a "correct" ratio then LOTR has it. This is questionable since, firstly we all know that the LOTR ratio led to several omissions and secondly LOTR's ratio is not a standard in any sense when compared to other films.

LR

hutch
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 8:03pm

Post #218 of 378 (20382 views)
Shortcut
Who didn't see this coming? [In reply to] Can't Post

a shooting schedule for 2 films that was days shy of the same schedule for 3 films. Ha ha. I called this a while back...or at least was hoping for it.

Now I can only hope for more of Ian & Viggo. Laugh

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jul 30 2012, 8:07pm

Post #219 of 378 (20308 views)
Shortcut
So, I've had a quick tought where each film ends and begins [In reply to] Can't Post

Film 1: Prologe + Shire to Goblin village? Seems like a good cliff hanger, when Bilbo and the dwarves are separated.

Film 2. Riddles in the dark to Barrels out of Bond? Necromancer as film final battle?

Film 3. Lonely mountain, battle of 5 armies and then back again.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 8:11pm

Post #220 of 378 (20196 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts about money and The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I can understand the cynicism I've read from some. In my humble opinion it's a little more complicated than simple greed.

First, if it were simply all about money, PJ would have made The Hobbit a long time ago. My impression is that he does the work for the enjoyment. He found himself falling back in love with the idea of delving into Middle Earth and he's had so much fun he doesn't want to stop. He's looking forward to more filming next year. This is his baby, and he's taking care of it. It's obvious to me he also likes to take care of his people, and more film means more employment for his team.

Yes, for the studio's it's probably mostly about a return on their investment. But that's not such a bad thing. If these films, coupled with LOTR, are all successful, this opens the door for more Tolkien on screen. Perhaps the rights to more of the materials will be pursued with greater vigor. It also opens the door for more employment by the studio for other various projects, both in New Zealand and wherever else the studio's make money.

For many fans, like myself, this is a grand opportunity to see an adaptation that can quite possibly thoroughly explore the material of The Hobbit and the LOTR Appendices in an extensively enjoyable fashion. I don't know about you, but *this* world is dreary enough. I can always use more fun.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

(This post was edited by Tim on Jul 30 2012, 8:19pm)

hutch
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 8:12pm

Post #221 of 378 (20221 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha. This totally sucks for... [In reply to] Can't Post

any studio that was sitting on a film waiting for TH hysteria to pass so they could release their movie and hopefully makes some money (GI JOE).

anyway, what's with all the sour grapes you guys? What happens if the films are actually good? Will you jumpg on the bandwagon of supporters? Griping won't help at this point. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!!!!
Cool
Besides, it's another reason for us Ringers to stay together longer and have more parties!

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 30 2012, 8:12pm

Post #222 of 378 (20154 views)
Shortcut
Where angels fear to tread [In reply to] Can't Post

It's worth noting that Tolkien himself attempted this feat once (rewriting The Hobbit by incorporating what he'd subsequently "learned" about Middle Earth and changing its tone to match Rings), but gave up the endeavor because he felt it changed a well-known and beloved story into something very different. I guess that very different something is what we'll be getting, for better or worse.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 8:16pm

Post #223 of 378 (20242 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure they've thought this all through [In reply to] Can't Post

before making announcements. That's what studios do. Usually.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 8:17pm

Post #224 of 378 (20171 views)
Shortcut
That would be awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 8:17pm

Post #225 of 378 (20155 views)
Shortcut
While I'm not as negative about PJ's LOTR adaptation as you are [In reply to] Can't Post

(and of course you're entitled to your opinion) ...

I think you make a good point here.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.