Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3 Hobbit Films Confirmed
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 4:58pm

Post #126 of 378 (18987 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Ring was 3 distinctive books [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is one book, which they've added a sub-plot too. And both stories are a lot different.

It's a risk turning 2 films into 3, when they're is just 5 months to go. Perhaps that was a reason as well?

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 4:59pm

Post #127 of 378 (19000 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure where you're going with that one... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 4:59pm

Post #128 of 378 (19154 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's your word against PJ's. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ saw the rough cut, did you? He's of the opinion he has enough material for three movies. I trust he knows what he's doing, he's a successful filmmaker after all. I'm sure a 2 movie or even 1 movie Hobbit could have worked but it would be a different film (not necessarily better). I for one like spending more time in Middle Earth, so i'm all for it.

In Reply To
Maybe i am being a bit conservative with the time...but i dont think theres enough story for a full film...

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 5:01pm

Post #129 of 378 (18976 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien wrote 'Lord of the Rings' as a single book [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC, it was only split into three volumes because it would have been prohibitively expensive to print all in one.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 5:02pm

Post #130 of 378 (18975 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Ardamírë [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm too shocked to come up with a coherent and sensible argument. I'll have to pass Tongue

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 5:06pm

Post #131 of 378 (18947 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

And movie release dates really have nothing to do with wether there was one book or seventeen. It just depends on getting people to see the next movie.

Releasing them a year apart is the pattern established by LOTR and I was just wondering why that changed.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 5:07pm

Post #132 of 378 (19060 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont think it is required of a onering fan of tolkien who knows the book on which these movies are based, to see a rough cut of the movie before puting forward reservations about this...

Forgive me for questioning the unquestionable...i shall crawl back to my little hobbit hole now...tap tap tap...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 5:07pm

Post #133 of 378 (18930 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

I fear most of my posts are too scatter-brained to follow, too. Blush

Danielos
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 5:08pm

Post #134 of 378 (19159 views)
Shortcut
Let´s be a little constructive. [In reply to] Can't Post

When everyone here have stopped geeking around and wiped the drool of the chin, we might start to actually think about what this means.

How much do they have to shoot? Will they have to build additional sets? Will they have to bring back Christopher Lee that is so frail that I fear he might not live to see the trilogy? And how will the first movie be affected?

I think a perfect way to end film one is when the company is about to enter Mirkwood and Gandalf abandons them. Zoom up to see endless forest and end credits...

Altaira
Superuser

Post #135 of 378 (19183 views)
Shortcut
That's undoubtedly part of what they were working out [In reply to] Can't Post

When PJ first floated the idea, he said they were in talks with the actors - presumably about both their schedules and their salaries! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Erufaildon
Bree

Post #136 of 378 (18991 views)
Shortcut
I do not like this [In reply to] Can't Post

They wrote a script for two movies, the shot for two movies, they planned post production for two movies and scheduled/hired actors for two movies. How they plan to shoot enough footage for an additional movie in 2-4 months, that fits with everyones schedule I don't know.

Even if all the above ain't a problem, I still prefer quality over quantity. Great, they've shot a lot of material. Still, they have two 180 minute films to fill, and much of what they've shot probably deserves to be left on the cutting room floor. I love the EEs, because they show more scenes from the book but they are considerably worse movies than the TE (maybe not FOTR, but TTT and ROTK). Give me two well-paced, high quality movies, and leave the best of the rest for the Extended Editions, IMO Smile

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Jul 30 2012, 5:10pm

Post #137 of 378 (18965 views)
Shortcut
I believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

that shooting three Hobbit films was always their plan. I mean, approximately the same number of days were utilized in shooting these films compared to LOTR. Moreover negotiating with the actors for new contracts for another film now will be quite troublesome. PJ has kept it secret to create a buzz about the films Evil

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 5:11pm

Post #138 of 378 (19099 views)
Shortcut
Save that for another thread, or later on! [In reply to] Can't Post

The news only came 1.5 hours ago! There's a lot more geeking to come I'm afraid (and twice as much drool).

Balderdash Baggins
The Shire

Jul 30 2012, 5:11pm

Post #139 of 378 (19132 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn and Arwen?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone think it's possible this third movie could include some of the Aragorn and Arwen back story from the appendices?

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 30 2012, 5:12pm

Post #140 of 378 (19137 views)
Shortcut
Link to Announcement From Warner and MGM [In reply to] Can't Post

not sure if someone else has posted this before but here goes

http://www.facebook.com/...logy/413954741973470

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 30 2012, 5:14pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 5:13pm

Post #141 of 378 (19037 views)
Shortcut
They filmed Aragorn and Arwen's first meeting a decade ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to work the footage into one of the new films.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 5:14pm

Post #142 of 378 (18895 views)
Shortcut
Not necessary. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's really one of the things from the appendices I'd like to see somewhere. Heart

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2012, 5:14pm

Post #143 of 378 (19008 views)
Shortcut
i guess I'll be one of the few voices of discontent [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not okay with this, and I'd be lying if I said that this news didn't cause a serious blow to my enthusiasm. Needing three 2.5-3 hour movies to faithfully adapt The Hobbit?

Yeah. No.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 30 2012, 5:15pm

Post #144 of 378 (18980 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

All those dwarves each deserve their own film!!! I lobby for a TV series of minimum 72 episodes, and then the Silmarillion: First Age

Erufaildon
Bree

Jul 30 2012, 5:16pm

Post #145 of 378 (19099 views)
Shortcut
What makes you believe that? [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ was reluctant at the start of the project, arguably looking to make TH a "simpler" or less exhausting project than LOTR. When he changed his mind no one knows, but I think it's clear two movies was the plan from the beginning and sometime into production/shooting.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 30 2012, 5:16pm

Post #146 of 378 (19048 views)
Shortcut
That, plus actors' schedules might have been a factor [In reply to] Can't Post

They're may also be comfortably ahead of the game as far as what's already been filmed, and the amount of work that would have to be done to produce a third movie.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 5:18pm

Post #147 of 378 (19039 views)
Shortcut
That hasn't been posted yet. Thank you :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like film 1 will still be called AUJ:

The first film in the trilogy, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will be released December 14, 2012, with the second film releasing on December 13, 2013, and the third film slated for summer 2014. All three films will be released in 3D and 2D in select theatres and IMAX.

Balderdash Baggins
The Shire

Jul 30 2012, 5:19pm

Post #148 of 378 (19032 views)
Shortcut
not necessary for "The Hobbit", I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, if Peter really wants to make The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies flow together, then adding some of the Aragorn/Arwen story, and bringing Viggo and Liv Tyler back, would certainly contribute to that.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2012, 5:20pm

Post #149 of 378 (19144 views)
Shortcut
A little comparative maths for anyone what's interested. [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously slightly overtaken by the confirmation but nonetheless...

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there is sufficient material to equate to three films. My position was that I didn't think the relationship was a proportional one but I thought I really also ought to go and check.

With a bit of digging you can turn up word counts for similar books and the running times of their film adaptations. Just for fun we can then calculate how many words per film-hour the adaptations run at and how long we might expect The Hobbit material to reasonably translate to.

So firstly there is huge variance with some adaptations running through circa 50k source words per film hour (LOTR and the last HP's up at this top end) whilst at the opposite extreme Where the Wild Things Are equates to only just over 200 words per film hour.

If we assume 3 x 2.5 hour films then The Hobbit adaptations would be covering only around 12,000 per hour (which is a little on the low side compared to similar fiction)

If however we allow an additional 20% of appendices based material (which doesn't seem too outrageous) then this would bring the run rate up to just over 15,000 wpfh which would place it completely in line with The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and just under Coraline and Prince Caspian.

Certainly there are many film adaptations (which I would think are reasonably decent adaptations) which have a higher conversion of source material volume to screen time. This is particularly noticeable where the source material is short fiction to begin with (e.g. Brokeback Mountain, Benjamin Button, It's a Wonderful Life, Minority Report (OK I know, I know)). All of these are running at rates lower than 5,000 wpfh, so substantially more stretched, for want of a better term, than the proposed Hobbit films.

So what does that tell us. Well not much conclusively but it does show that material volume (imperfectly measured by word count) doesn't relate straightforwardly to the amount of screen time generated.

Secondly it does suggest that the material to screen time ratio for the prospective Hobbit films would only need a relatively small amount of appendix based material to make it very comparable to other similar films, and good deal higher than many other adaptations.

LR

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 5:22pm

Post #150 of 378 (19018 views)
Shortcut
I kinda doubt they'll be 3 hours long now. More like 2 and a half. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.