The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3 Hobbit Films Confirmed
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

nobofthepony
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 4:22pm

Post #76 of 378 (18773 views)
Shortcut
Well, TTT and ROTK each stretched out a couple of chapters to be the main film... [In reply to] Can't Post

Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields....

After Smaug dies, there will be a build up to tBO5A and an exploration of characters...Thorin and Bard especially... I could see it being pulled off artfully.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:24pm

Post #77 of 378 (18667 views)
Shortcut
Likely from a studio source [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt they would have posted that as fact otherwise.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 4:24pm

Post #78 of 378 (18746 views)
Shortcut
Yes, isn't M.Freeman supposed to start filming Sherlock series 3 soon(ish)? [In reply to] Can't Post

And what's going to happen with TinTin 2?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 30 2012, 4:30pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 4:25pm

Post #79 of 378 (18762 views)
Shortcut
I'm totally up for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

If it means we get to see Galadriel destroy Dol Guldur, then I'll be chucking my own money at PJ!

Danielos
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 4:25pm

Post #80 of 378 (18711 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is just so sad that PJ doesnīt have the rights to Unfinished Tales. I would love to see The Hobbit expanded with the relevant stuff in there.

It is still pretty strange. How can they plan so badly that they at the end of the shooting realises that they need another movie? Didnīt they have two scripts to work with? I fear that the only effect this will have is shorter movies and no extended editions.

nobofthepony
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 4:26pm

Post #81 of 378 (18874 views)
Shortcut
Dawg, I heard you like Middle Earth in your Middle Earth...so here's some more Middle Earth in you Middle Earth so you can Middle Earth while you Middle Earth// [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 4:26pm

Post #82 of 378 (18917 views)
Shortcut
Is collider a reputable website? [In reply to] Can't Post

They would have put "insider" wouldn't they?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:27pm

Post #83 of 378 (18831 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look outside your window. Do you see any avian swine fluttering past? Wink

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 4:27pm

Post #84 of 378 (18783 views)
Shortcut
Variety says Summer 2014. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://twitter.com/...s/229963837456121857

In Reply To
Perhaps on release date etc?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 4:28pm

Post #85 of 378 (18883 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes....my problem is that i dont see how you can split the second movie into a third in a cohesive and fulfilling manner, so that the characters and story feel like they werent cut out of a bigger story....

But, if you do that , you have to end it with Smaug 's death so that the rest if for film three...but that leaves what?

A dol guldur battle, laketown, a passage through Dale, trek to Lonely M., smaug and bilbo 's chat, smaug attacks and dies...even with added dwarven history, Dale history, campfire conversations, a few comedic moments...i cant see it as a full, stand alone, piece of filmmaking...

Evidently i hope i am wrong and i beseech other members who like this 3rd movie idea to try to explain how such a move would work...because right now...im not that excited...and i wish i was! Evil

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Jul 30 2012, 4:28pm

Post #86 of 378 (18792 views)
Shortcut
Money..money...money...money! [In reply to] Can't Post

Might as well....tons of material that I'm quite sure if done right will make most of us happy......will be curious to see what else will be included in the movies??

TFP
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 4:29pm

Post #87 of 378 (18726 views)
Shortcut
3 films [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm certainly pleased.

IIRC the unabridged [audiocassette] copy of the Hobbit runs at about 11 hours.

Given past form it seems sensible to assume that PJ is aiming in the 8-10 hours range for his films.

Given the fairly hefty amount of descriptive text in the book, & that verbal descrption is relatively slow, 3 films is consistenw with, as others have said, some hefty exposition. Which is quite exciting really.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Post #88 of 378 (18722 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure once I actually see the movies, that's exactly how I'll feel about it.Laugh

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jul 30 2012, 4:29pm)

Lucky Luke
Bree

Post #89 of 378 (18817 views)
Shortcut
Film 3 : death of (spoiler) + Bo5A [In reply to] Can't Post

Bridge film is out of the question at this point.

I think it would be an HUGE mistake to kill Smaug in film 2 and I do not think it will happen!

IMO, the barrel scene will be pushed back to film 2, film 1 thus ending with the spider sequence and the capture of the dwarves by the elves.
The climax of Film 2 could be the Battle of Dol Guldur AND the fury of Smaug after his encounter with Bilbo. Film 2 could end with the suspens of seing Bilbo and company trapped in the tunnel. I really like that ideaSmile !
With the death of Smaug AND the BOFA (+ the return of Bilbo), film 3 could then be the great conclusion of it all!!!

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2012, 4:31pm

Post #90 of 378 (18838 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson has always struck me as an honest, dedicated fellow... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so for that reason, I believe him for the time being that this was done for artistic reasons, and not pushed by the studio.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:33pm

Post #91 of 378 (18897 views)
Shortcut
What you outline [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like plenty of story to tell in three hours, particularly if you take your time to do it well.

I think three films will help PJ, rather than hurt him. It will give him time to not have to compromise between action and dialogue, thrill and backstory. He can include both.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 30 2012, 4:33pm)

hutch
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 4:33pm

Post #92 of 378 (18719 views)
Shortcut
MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bring on Viggo!!!!!!! Sly

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 4:34pm

Post #93 of 378 (18659 views)
Shortcut
It's not that I'm against it, don't get me wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not particularly thrilled, though. It seems like a huge, non-artistic risk to take. It makes sense financially-speaking, but the potential for the tarnishment of Middle-earth legacy is rather large.

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 4:34pm

Post #94 of 378 (19162 views)
Shortcut
the way peter makes movies [In reply to] Can't Post

is he films lots of coverage, rewrites the scripts constantly, gets ideas from actors, builds full sets to live in.

I'm not surprised at all considering most of the three lord of the rings movies changed tremendously during their pickup stages AND in post-production.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2012, 4:35pm

Post #95 of 378 (18879 views)
Shortcut
According to Slashfilm.com, domain registrations for the titles include... [In reply to] Can't Post

...The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and The Hobbit: Riddles in the Dark.

I wonder if they are renaming a 2nd film, and keeping the third film as There and Back Again?...

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

hutch
Rohan

Post #96 of 378 (18954 views)
Shortcut
Viggo! Viggo! Viggo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo! Smile

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

The Party Tree
Lorien

Post #97 of 378 (18684 views)
Shortcut
Disappointed, but not surprised. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really trust PJ to handle the extra material, especially in light of the fact that I wasn't always happy with the way PJ & Co. adapted dialogue and narrative in LotR that had already been fully fleshed out by Tolkien.

But most importantly, I hope all three films succeed in focusing on Bilbo's story and telling all of it. If it veers too far from actually being about the hobbit, I'll be really disappointed.

peleowyn
Rivendell

Jul 30 2012, 4:37pm

Post #98 of 378 (18686 views)
Shortcut
Woo hoo! That means... [In reply to] Can't Post

...more of Howard Shore's incredible music!!

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 4:38pm

Post #99 of 378 (18638 views)
Shortcut
Why wouldn't they keep "An Unexpected Journey"? [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes more sense than "Riddles in the Dark"? No?

And what of all the merchandise locked down with the title AUJ? Too late to change film 1 surely?

hutch
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 4:38pm

Post #100 of 378 (18618 views)
Shortcut
Whoa, Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

You? Ha ha. This is awesome. If Flagg has no beef with this then either the world is ending or it's a good idea.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.