Agree with both of you ... [In reply to] Can't Post

on another Star Wars and significant changes to film 1 ...Crazy

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 3:57pm

Post #27 of 378 (21980 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

For the first time after reading a pj announcement...i feel a little concerned...I just dont see how an inflated, super sized hobbit narrative would be satisfying to watch with a trilogy....I dont think theres enough story and character growth and development to make three different, unique movies with clear begginings, stories and endings...

Were going to have to wait two years to see smaug? Or the battle? ...Hmmm

I have a bad feeling about this....

Unsure

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Jul 30 2012, 3:57pm

Post #28 of 378 (21937 views)
Shortcut
Extremely happy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

As the above post said, many inferior works have been divided with less story to work with and inferior characters--I'm very happy about this and can't wait to discover the titles, how the story will be broken up, what they include from the appendices, etc. I also think it will be closer to Tolkien canon them some might think.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 30 2012, 3:59pm

Post #29 of 378 (21697 views)
Shortcut
I doubt if anyone will announce that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but there might be a clue in the titles.

Colour me happy. This shows confidence in the material, which is encouraging, and with more time to play with I hope they can develop the characters more and allow themselves some reflective moments. And songs - 'Tra la la lalley' anyone? Tongue

tinnie

Post #30 of 378 (21700 views)
Shortcut
I'm really not sure what I think about this yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

Excited for more Middle Earth, but interested to see how they are going to manage it. I think once we know a bit more about how they are splitting the story I'll feel a bit more comfortable with the whole thing.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Post #31 of 378 (21605 views)
Shortcut
I think we need to see the first movie at least... [In reply to] Can't Post

...before we can discuss whether this is good or bad. These are PJ's movies, and if he wants to make 3, then that's what should happen.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Post #32 of 378 (21646 views)
Shortcut
I am pleased [In reply to] Can't Post

And will re-post my reasons for being pleased from another thread:

As you and many others here know, I have been a consistent critic of Peter Jackson's LOTR films, and continue to be one.

However, having accepted the reality of a Hobbit adaptation that goes well beyond the book, I find the possibility of three films more appealing than two. For me, there are roughly 5 main reasons for this:

1. Time: Despite the fact that two films would almost certainly mean at least 5 hours worth of story, I am worried that extended action and battle sequences will still crowd out a lot of material that's in the books. This comes from previous experience with PJ's films. He likes to linger for long periods of time on invented action scenes (see the stair in Moria), while painting quickly and with broad strokes over nuanced bits of characterization, dialogue, and cultural context. Three films might be enough for PJ to both include nuance in the narrative, and include his cherished action sequences.

2. History: I am intrigued by both the dwarven history (which IMO is very relevant, as I find the Hobbit to not be primarily about Bilbo, but primarily about the inherent conflict between Bilbo and Thorin), and the history of Dale (simply because I like the sets). Three films could give us a lot more of that history in flashback.

3. Satisfying film-making: IMO, PJ is at his best when he looks back. What I mean by this is that I love PJ's use of flashbacks, and wish he had done more of it in LOTR. In fact, I think they are his most evocative filmic device. The prologue, the conversation between Elrond and Isildur, the incredibly affecting vision of Aragorn's eventual expiration, and Arwen's grief, etc. As such, the more he utilizes this device - giving us dwarven and mannish history, the better. And three films means we will likely get more of it (though that's not guaranteed).

4. Meat on the bones: If you accept that this Hobbit adaptation is far more than a Hobbit adaptation, and a prequel for LOTR (and you must accept this, as it is certainly the case) then there is actually a whole lot to tell in this story. An interesting exercise for a writer would be to take all the Hobbit chapters, and add the level of cultural and character detail that exists in LOTR to that story, and see what you come up with. I have done this in my mind, and I end up with almost three books, that are only about a few chapters shorter than LOTR/

5. Pace and dialogue: Three films will likely mean a less hectic pace, and more coherent dialogue. One of the things that bothered me about PJ's films was the breakneck pace, which I imagine necessarily glossed over some of the more wonderful and thoughtful aspects of Tolkien's work, and neutered some of the great quieter scenes of dialogue. The Shire scenes in FOTR achieved a great sense of verisimilitude because PJ took his time with dialogue. People (such as Gandalf and Bilbo) had conversations that were real back and forths, as opposed to the "talking at each other, and not really responding to each other" that I detect in many a scene of dialogue in the rest of the films. I imagine that three films will give PJ more room to better flesh out such scenes of dialogue, and make it feel more like they are actual people having conversations, rather than video game characters spouting off their necessary scripted lines.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Post #33 of 378 (21605 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it's a bridge film... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ has mentioned limited filming, a week or more. However, he hasn't mentioned shooting for another six months, which is about what they'd need for a totally new film...apparently, it'll be comprised of footage which has already been shot.

Unless they move ALL of the White Council stuff to a third film, and pad out the first two films with more details about the history of the Dwarves and additional Bilbo shenanigans.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Post #34 of 378 (21629 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Two films seemed perfect for the Hobbit plus a little sprinkling of the White Council.

Now we have three movies to tell what story? What does all the appendix material add to the actual story?

And I still don't understand why they're acting like the appendices just suddenly appeared. Did they just discover them hidden at the back of LOTR last week?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 4:00pm

Post #35 of 378 (21631 views)
Shortcut
HOW EXCITING !!! WOW!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

*spins in chair* OMG!! I'm shaking with awe and excitement! WOW! How brave and generous... Peter, Philippa and Fran are truly amazing!!

Oh cripes... my heart's racing like crazy! AND MORE PRODUCTION DIARIES!!!

WOW!! *runs down hall screaming news*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

DanielLB
Immortal

Post #36 of 378 (21658 views)
Shortcut
I'd think that [In reply to] Can't Post

the Dol Guldur plot would still be the climax of film 1, the death of Smaug film 2, and the BO5A film 3.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Post #37 of 378 (21545 views)
Shortcut
*high five* RIGHT ON!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 4:01pm

Post #38 of 378 (21568 views)
Shortcut
Well put... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't believe they're being this obviously greedy.

There's no narrative reason for this decision. None.

I've often defended PJ and his style in the past, but now...Oy.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:01pm

Post #39 of 378 (21593 views)
Shortcut
If the appendices are not important to the story, then why did Tolkien write them? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:03pm

Post #40 of 378 (21539 views)
Shortcut
Seems most likely [In reply to] Can't Post

That film 2 will be split into two, based on PJ and company having so much footage that three films became almost a necessity. I am sure they will do more filming to fill out the second two films, but I douby they will be writing new scripts, recruiting new actors, and doing an entirely new production process, for a bridge film.

WB was likely attracted to this because they could get a third film for a very, very marginal costs, and make double the money out of it. While PJ just wants to tell more of the story he wants to tell.

For the studio and PJ, it was a win-win.

For the fans, it's a wait-and-see. I, for one, am on board.

dormouse
Half-elven

Post #41 of 378 (21608 views)
Shortcut
How about artistic reasons? [In reply to] Can't Post

The studio will be focusing on the money but I really believe Peter Jackson and his fellow writers are looking for the best way to tell the story.

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Post #42 of 378 (21559 views)
Shortcut
Why [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do you guys keep mentioning Star Wars? I don't see George Lucas who's writing the script out of his ass and casting Hayden Christiansen creating Jar Jar Binks. Hobbit, regardless of everything, has amazing story and amazing cast to portray amazing characters. Some thing we must be careful and hopeful about, but come on, saying that this looks like Star Wars prequels is an insult of highest order. What next, Avatar comparison?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:04pm

Post #43 of 378 (21565 views)
Shortcut
The way I see it [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that LOTR deserved at least six films of a three-hour length to be told well.

So in my view, the Hobbit will be told better if it's longer.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 30 2012, 4:04pm

Post #44 of 378 (21581 views)
Shortcut
I've never felt more indifferent as I do now [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I should be excited. But I just ain't. Maybe I'm one of those people who only are excited when they get to see the films and then feel happy about them.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

pasi
The Shire

Jul 30 2012, 4:06pm

Post #45 of 378 (21575 views)
Shortcut
About the third movie [In reply to] Can't Post

The third movie will became a bridge between the Hobbit and the LOTR?

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 4:06pm

Post #46 of 378 (21583 views)
Shortcut
I'm still sitting but... [In reply to] Can't Post

:-P

...I won't take this news and turn it dire by any stretch of the imagination. For me, it's another opportunity for joy.

I liked how PJ phrased his announcement. It indicated a respect for how to expand the project and what focus and direction it should take.

It surely can't please everyone because nothing pleases everyone and some people can't be pleased. But I won't taint any opportunity for pleasure and joy by predicting failure before the event. And there are so many reasons to think I will be very happy indeed.

That much more music from Shore. Boy, they had to talk to a few people before making this decision, didn't they? Shore's commitment just increased by a chunk.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 30 2012, 4:09pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 30 2012, 4:07pm

Post #47 of 378 (21505 views)
Shortcut
Gramma - it's a joy to see your joy in this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's brilliant news!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:08pm

Post #48 of 378 (21623 views)
Shortcut
The Appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

Add depth and history.

As Tolkien once said, and I paraphrase, a fundamental human desire is to "survey the depths of space and time."

For me, three films are more likely to survey those depths, whether it be Azanulbizar, Dain at the gates of Moria, the history of Erebor, Dale and the Iron Hills, etc.

Color me excited.

My original desire was for one film that matches the tone of the books. A simple story with a swift beginning and conclusion. But once that went out the window, and PJ made this a LOTR prequel, I decided that I wanted that story to be told as fully, and with as much Tolkien in it, as possible.

Three films makes that more likely, from my point of view.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:09pm

Post #49 of 378 (21525 views)
Shortcut
I'm talking about the story of Bilbo as told in The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never need to read the appendices to understand the story. I enjoy reading them of course, and there's tons of beautiful passages in them, but they are not vital.

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 4:09pm

Post #50 of 378 (21521 views)
Shortcut
In a hurry... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have to run out the door (and I mean RUN, like Bilbo to meeting the Dwarves at noon!) for work, but something, my spidey-sense, told me to go online right now..and boy I am glad I did!

My intial reaction (in spite of artistic reservations) is WHOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!

I sincerely think that this was a decsion organically arrivd at, driven genunely by artistic inspiration...I always suspected that Peter had "fallen back in love with ME" and now hre is the proof. If he has managed to extract from the Appendices films 2 and 3 of outstanding quality, plot, charactrs and above all SCRIPT....if the tale did indeed "grow in the telling", and become, like LOTR, an "unweildy masterpeice, that someow fits together"...I am excited to go along for the ride, and see if a miracle has indeed been accomplished.

50-50 that this may come to pass (I STILL hold him to a VERY HIGh standard and will NOTgive him a carte blance pass...BUT I have faith that, he and his team may be able to pul it off. I am happy for Howard SHore as well...the more the merrier...Howard can wallow in ME to his heartsand souls content!

My other initial thought is...now that TDKR Oscar value has probsbly been compromised due to Colorado (alas)...what film will fill the Oscars "blockbuster slot"? How will AMPAS react to this?? IF Peter Can pull ff a miracle..will we see BP noms???

All you who are ableto go to Oscar parties...all I can say is....YOU LUCKY SODS!!!! (paraphrasing Mr Rhys-Davies!)TongueSly

BRING IT ON!!!! Let the global ecomoycrash, but ad lomg as we got TH, we cn look forward to that!

Excise typos...in a RUSH...*grabs pocket kerchief and vaults over my gate*...

back this evening!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.