3 Hobbit Films Confirmed
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Brambleburr
The Shire

Jul 30 2012, 3:33pm

Post #1 of 378 (55951 views)
Shortcut
3 Hobbit Films Confirmed Can't Post

Peter Jackson just confirmed on Facebook that there will be 3 Hobbit films.

"So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three."

"Courage is found in unlikely places." - J.R.R Tolkien

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jul 30 2012, 4:04pm)

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Jul 30 2012, 3:35pm

Post #2 of 378 (49245 views)
Shortcut
I believe in them and their decision completely [In reply to] Can't Post

At least after I see the movies and how they've split them. Good Luck Peter and company.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 3:36pm

Post #3 of 378 (48994 views)
Shortcut
OH MY! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,

Peter J

https://www.facebook.com/...ey/10151114596546558

Do we need to prepare for TORn melt-down?!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 30 2012, 3:39pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 378 (48521 views)
Shortcut
Link to the announcement: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.facebook.com/...ey/10151114596546558

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 3:42pm

Post #5 of 378 (48563 views)
Shortcut
O M E ...... (oh my Eru!) this is mental O.O O.o PJ's actually managed to sort it out O.o lordy. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

what can we expct guys! Crazy

Rumours --> Possibilities --> Reality

Pirate or Heart? ? ?

what should we think!! ??

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

architecthis
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 3:44pm

Post #6 of 378 (48509 views)
Shortcut
Incredibly good news [In reply to] Can't Post

This has made my day

Ardamírë
Valinor

Post #7 of 378 (48473 views)
Shortcut
At least it's official. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how this is going to turn out, and it's what I'd prefer, but I guess we'll just have to see. It could be amazing; it could be terrible. Only time will tell.

I do wonder who the overwhelming "yes" was from??

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Post #8 of 378 (48738 views)
Shortcut
Can I recommend a title change? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot of threads on the 3 movies. Perhaps change it to "3 Hobbit Films confirmed" or something similar? Smile

Cool news IMO. All that worries me is what will the new movie be called?

DanielLB
Immortal

Post #9 of 378 (48507 views)
Shortcut
I was expecting news in a couple of weeks or months... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just said to dormouse I hoped for news soon!

Not this soon! Shocked

I've always been dubious about a 3rd film. But PJ knows what he's doing. I'm excited, but still want to hear how it will be split. Most of all, I want to know what the titles now are!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 3:48pm

Post #10 of 378 (49031 views)
Shortcut
I wonder why they didn't just plan this from the beginning. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it have been easier to script three films from the get-go? And surely during the filming scripting stage they knew how much material they had to work with and how much they wanted to show.

I must say I'm very hesitant about this.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 3:48pm

Post #11 of 378 (48516 views)
Shortcut
Can we expect an official anouncement from WB etc as well? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps on release date etc?

imin
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 3:49pm

Post #12 of 378 (48580 views)
Shortcut
Wow that's very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping so much for two films with the extra filming to be for EE but not to be.

I have my doubts that it will be faithful to Tolkien anymore but i think its more a sequel to PJ's LOTR rather than The Hobbit adapted now so if i think of it as seperate to Tolkien's work then i dont mind.

Lets see if he pulls it off - for me i think the will certainly make 3 good movies at least.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 3:49pm

Post #13 of 378 (48467 views)
Shortcut
I would imagine so. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a pretty major movie news story.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 3:50pm

Post #14 of 378 (48506 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the link QT // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2012, 3:50pm

Post #15 of 378 (48505 views)
Shortcut
He did it once, he can do it again ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lets see if he pulls it off - for me i think the will certainly make 3 good movies at least.

Hexology here we come! Shocked

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 30 2012, 3:51pm

Post #16 of 378 (48700 views)
Shortcut
Next Question is: Is it a bridge film or Film 2 split in half? // [In reply to] Can't Post

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Jul 30 2012, 3:52pm

Post #17 of 378 (48708 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Well my dream was to have 9 LOTR movies 3 hours long each and 3 HOBBIT movies 3 hours long each. We have 8 Harry Potter movies that a story wise and character wise inferior to Tolkien, and we'll get god knows how many Avatar movies that are story wise and character wise inferior to anything ever filmed. So those would be my dream numbers for my favorite books adaptations.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 3:53pm

Post #18 of 378 (48550 views)
Shortcut
I think both... [In reply to] Can't Post

They said there wasn't enough material to make a bridge movie. They probably noticed how much material they had for The Hobbit and have realised they can do the bridge movie now, if they include Hobbit material too. I'm just worried about how much this is beginning to resemble Star Wars...

imin
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 3:54pm

Post #19 of 378 (48360 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I am doubtful they will be faithful adaptations but i am pretty sure they will be good movies regardless of faithfulness if that makes sense? Kinda like how Nolan's batman films are great but not exactly faithful to the comics.

Infact if they could be as good as the batman trilogy i would be over the moon!

Would love a Nolan adaptation of the hobbit! lol.

Danielos
Rohan

Post #20 of 378 (48439 views)
Shortcut
Questions...Questions that need answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does this mean they will recut the first movie to end much earlier? Does it mean the names will be changed??

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Post #21 of 378 (48544 views)
Shortcut
Has PJ been striken with dragon-sickness? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have no idea how to feel about this...

On the one hand, more ME on the big screen is exciting.

However, I just can't get interested or hopeful about 3 TH movies. It's vaguely ludicrous, and I can't help but feel it's motivated purely by PJ, WB and Co. wanting to hoard all of the gold of the audience for themselves and sleep on it for a bed.

I mean, come on! The same number of the films to adapt LotR as TH?

I was anticipating two fairly fast-moving, expertly-made adventures. Now we're getting what will likely be three cumbersome, overly-long and listless "epics" constituting a needless trilogy.

Not happy about this...I don't think? Oh, whatever. ;)

Of course, will wait for more to be unveiled before making any actual judgement.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 30 2012, 4:03pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 30 2012, 3:55pm

Post #22 of 378 (48497 views)
Shortcut
Surely Film 1 will be affected too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It might still end after barrels out of bond, but I expect to see lots less of the White Council than was originally intended.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2012, 3:56pm

Post #23 of 378 (48409 views)
Shortcut
Probably not a bridge film... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the "The Hobbit," and he mentioned Bilbo's story. I don't think Bilbo sitting at home counting his money would make a very interesting story that would excite them enough to suddenly make a third film.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this... I never thought I'd be afraid of getting MORE of Middle-earth from PJ, but this still seems like just another way to cash in on the franchise to be honest. Could they REALLY not fit such a short and relatively straightforward story into two movies? How much more of the story is there to tell that they suddenly desperately needed a whole other film?

I guess we'll know if it was about money if we end up with three movies that are roughly two hours long rather than two that would have been about three hours long (and then the extended editions).

Foromir
Rivendell

Post #24 of 378 (48540 views)
Shortcut
I'm sad either way. [In reply to] Can't Post

I still cannot believe why they have to make another epic trilogy out of such a charmingly simple story about our poor little Hobbit. Other than financial reasons, that is.

As a longtime admirer of PJ's LotR, I have to say it's a sad day for me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Post #25 of 378 (48319 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean imin. Well I'd expect ... [In reply to] Can't Post

With 3 films for 1 book, I'd fully expect every single piece of detail in the book to make it in. They can pad with Dol Guldur as much as they like, just as long as The Hobbit is fully in there.

If that isn't the case, then there's not much point.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.