Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Extra filming completed

tolktolk
Lorien

Jul 28 2012, 8:21am

Post #1 of 23 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Extra filming completed Can't Post

The ten days of extra filming on the Hobbit has just completed within the last hour, according to Dean Knowsley. Wonder what is in a Martini?!

https://twitter.com/#!/search/deanknowsley

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 28 2012, 10:24am

Post #2 of 23 (976 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't even realised there was 10 days of extra filming [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what they filmed?

(Twitter doesn't seem to load).

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Jul 28 2012, 10:36am

Post #3 of 23 (884 views)
Shortcut
Good to know [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to know.

BTW, a "martini" is a filmmaking expression used for the last lighting and camera setup for the last shot of a production.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 28 2012, 10:40am

Post #4 of 23 (926 views)
Shortcut
Neither had I [In reply to] Can't Post

Without researching it, I should imagine that it would mostly be improving scenes that PJ wasn't completely happy with. However, it is quite possible that he and crew had some last-minute ideas and theories that may be thrown into the bargain. Either way, it is unlikely that we will ever know what this additonal filming entailed as it won't be obvious in the film, although it might be revealed in one of the upcoming vlogs (unlikely) or in the DVD extras (more likely).

"What do you mean, good morning? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"-Gandalf the Grey, The Hobbit.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 28 2012, 10:44am

Post #5 of 23 (919 views)
Shortcut
Don't say that! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Without researching it, I should imagine that it would mostly be improving scenes that PJ wasn't completely happy with.

Shelob'sAppetite will blame the 2nd unit and Andy Serkis Wink. Since they are filming for 3 months next year anyway, it probably is pick-up shots that are vital for AUJ, rather than TABA. There's no realy urgency if they have those extra months next year.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 28 2012, 11:03am

Post #6 of 23 (909 views)
Shortcut
I think its PJ's cameo [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to remember reading that he hadn't filmed it yet (though I can't find the link), and as its not excatly important I wouldn't be surprised it it was put to the end as a treat-sort of like all the caemos for King Kong (PJ will blatantly be a dwarve...)

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 28 2012, 11:15am

Post #7 of 23 (880 views)
Shortcut
He said that during the SDCC panel [In reply to] Can't Post

And he said he was filming that the day after the panel. It may have been delayed, but they would've filmed more than his cameo in 10 days.Smile

tolktolk
Lorien

Jul 28 2012, 11:49am

Post #8 of 23 (788 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know that was what a Martini was - I thought it might be some appropriate celebratory cocktail!

Sorry, I'm not very good at linking. but if you just go into Twitter and search for his name (without any spaces) you will find his tweets. He has been tweeting regularly about working on the film.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2012, 2:52pm

Post #9 of 23 (765 views)
Shortcut
So production actually wrapped at the end of July... [In reply to] Can't Post

TH has in almost every case been a highly unorthodox production, but can't really see why they'd have a wrap party then immediately a week-and-a-half of "pick-ups"...Crazy

Anyhoo, great news...very cool!

BTW, doesn't Dean Knowsley isn't Bond of Blood, is it? Looks sort-of like a scruffier version of him, so can't be sure. Wink

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 28 2012, 2:53pm)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 28 2012, 3:40pm

Post #10 of 23 (706 views)
Shortcut
Must be pick-ups for film one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Still will need pick-ups for film two at some point.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 28 2012, 3:43pm

Post #11 of 23 (755 views)
Shortcut
Pick-ups [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of films have a period of pick-ups, where shots that were botched are redone and extra shots that are necessary but weren't planned for are done. The Return of the King had about seven months of pick-ups. They were planned to run from April to July, but they ended up going until nearly the end of October. You can see some of them being shot (in October) in the supplement "The End of All Things." The major ones, with the stars coming back to New Zealand, were the ones that ended in July.

Most of the late pick-ups on Return were elements for digital-effects shots. When I was researching The Frodo Franchise, I did get to watch a bit of shooting in the Stone Street Studios. It was all groups of extras dressed as orcs standing in front of the interior green-screen. That went on for days. The ones I saw ended up in the Grond scene.

I'm actually quite surprised that the pick-ups for The Hobbit would last only ten days. They must have planned everything a lot more tightly for this production. Though I would guess that there will be more pick-ups next year for the second film, even if the third film idea comes to nothing.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2012, 3:52pm

Post #12 of 23 (716 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

My point was simply that I was surprised that pick-ups were immediately following the end of production, rather than production being extended to include them prior to "wrapping". Wink

I imagine there may well be additional shooting early this Fall for Film 1, and next Summer for Film 2.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 28 2012, 3:59pm

Post #13 of 23 (688 views)
Shortcut
OK, I see [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose the one logistical reason would be that they've discovered some problems as they're editing and doing the effects and they wanted to get those done while most of the filmmaking team is still in New Zealand.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 28 2012, 4:16pm

Post #14 of 23 (695 views)
Shortcut
Just to add, PJ has 2 cameos to film. Possibly 3 ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 28 2012, 6:15pm

Post #15 of 23 (651 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Those were for Film 1. Lots of other Twitter evidence out there as well. Funny that Dean is the guy everybody looks to. 8)

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Milknut
Rohan

Jul 28 2012, 7:59pm

Post #16 of 23 (590 views)
Shortcut
Clearly they filmed a third film.// [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2012, 8:34pm

Post #17 of 23 (563 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense and is probably the explanation. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2012, 8:49pm

Post #18 of 23 (552 views)
Shortcut
Haha, I was just about to suggest that. [In reply to] Can't Post

10 days is plenty of time to film the exciting tale of Hobbit family trees and the history of Gondor that will make up the third film... "The Hobbit: Family Trees and the Tree of Gondor."

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2012, 8:55pm

Post #19 of 23 (566 views)
Shortcut
He's in costume in on of the earlier vlogs [In reply to] Can't Post

So at least 2 cameos. One in each part?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2012, 9:19pm

Post #20 of 23 (534 views)
Shortcut
He is...? // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 28 2012, 9:27pm

Post #21 of 23 (547 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDAeDpozFqc

At around 1:15 of vlog 5!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2012, 9:53pm

Post #22 of 23 (515 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, but that actually looks on par with PJ's usual attire! ;P // [In reply to] Can't Post

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Jul 29 2012, 9:14am

Post #23 of 23 (373 views)
Shortcut
They probably did a lot of pick ups already [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, with the shooting being done in blocks, they may have had more time to work on the edits and find parts that needed fixing early on, so they could have handled a lot of the pickups for the earlier blocks during the later parts of principal photography.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.