Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Hobbit chapter 3: "A Short Rest" discussion pt.3

Finding Frodo
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2012, 3:34am

Views: 440
Shortcut
The Hobbit chapter 3: "A Short Rest" discussion pt.3 Can't Post

Welcome to my third and last post of the week. Good thing I signed up for a short chapter, since I got a late start! Now back to the Last Homely House:

They stayed long in that good house, fourteen days at least, and they found it hard to leave. Bilbo would gladly have stopped there for ever and ever -- even supposing a wish would have taken him right back to his hobbit-hole without trouble.

1. Wow, that's quite a statement about homebody Bilbo. Have you ever visited a place that you would have liked to stay in forever, rather than going back to your own home by the fire, with the kettle just beginning to sing?

The master of the house was an elf-friend -- one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History...who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was their chief.
He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer.

2. Compare this description of Elrond to the Elrond of LotR. If they are significantly different, which do you prefer, and why?

...(Elrond) looked at the swords they had brought from the trolls' lair, and he said: "These are not troll-make. They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars.

3. Shouldn't Gandalf have been able to read the runes on the swords and figure out where they came from? Why or why not?

The moon was shining in a broad silver crescent. (Elrond) held up the map and the white light shone through it. "What is this?" he said. "There are moon-letters here...They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them, and what is more, with the more cunning sort it must be a moon of the same shape and season as the day when they were written.

4. Discuss the usefulness of writing that is so secretive it rarely even has the opportunity to be read.

Hmmm...I guess we need an open discussion thread for this chapter, too. OK, look for one more post!

Where's Frodo?

Subject User Time
The Hobbit chapter 3: "A Short Rest" discussion pt.3 Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Jul 28 2012, 3:34am
    Thoughts. Curious Send a private message to Curious Jul 28 2012, 1:46pm
        As you say SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jul 28 2012, 6:52pm
    Late answers sador Send a private message to sador Jul 30 2012, 11:53am
    Some brief responses... DesiringDragons Send a private message to DesiringDragons Jul 30 2012, 1:27pm
        "kind as summer" -- I love that phrase too. Simple and unique.// CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jul 30 2012, 5:28pm
        What if? Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Jul 31 2012, 3:15am
            I wondered that also! // DesiringDragons Send a private message to DesiringDragons Jul 31 2012, 2:56pm
        "if things are meant to happen, they do happen." SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jul 31 2012, 6:26am
            Sorry about the earworm! DesiringDragons Send a private message to DesiringDragons Jul 31 2012, 3:05pm
    Was the inscription rune'd? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jul 30 2012, 11:25pm
        Ha! Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Jul 31 2012, 3:20am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.