Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - "Will you look into the mirror?"

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 5:07pm

Views: 617
Shortcut
SCOD - "Will you look into the mirror?" Can't Post

Again, I took a look at the screencaps and let one grab my eye.

This seems to me to be a moment - even though in a movie (a word that comes from the same root as 'movement') - that functions as a still, staged shot.

What are your first impressions? Without thinking about it too much, what do you notice?"

And, if you truly want untainted first impressions... it might be good to note your answers somewhere before you continue reading. I'm going to provide a little grey space before continuing with the hope that I can let you have an untainted first impression.

The first thing that stood out was the composition:

This image is applying the rule of thirds which "proposes that an image should be imagined as divided into nine equal parts by two equally-spaced horizontal lines and two equally-spaced vertical lines, and that important compositional elements should be placed along these lines or their intersections. Proponents of the technique claim that aligning a subject with these points creates more tension, energy and interest in the composition than simply centering the subject would."

The second thing that stood out to me was how Galadriel creates almost a line of light along one of those line of thirds.

Without Galadriel, there would essentially be no light in this scene. Do you get any sense that she's actually casting light on the objects around her? Or is that moonlight or some other light source that is doing that?

The web tells me Galadriel is also referred to as "Lady of Light" but I can't find that name in LOTR or the Sil. But the Sil tells us that Galad (as in Gil-galad) means "radiant" in Sindarin.

And the third thing that stood out to me is the ewer she is holding. The long slim design of it mirrors the sense of tall, slim stature they were trying to portray Galadriel as having. (Cate had to stand on boxes to achieve the 'tall' part). And she's holding it right in the middle of her torso, straight up and down - which accentuates that.

Today's screencap is not a shot that catches things in movement. (reposted to remind you of the entire image)

When you look at this image, do you get the sense that it's more like a publicity shot. Or do you get a sense that this is a place which and a person who embodies stillness? A sense that time does not move... or move fast in this land? And by pondering that, we're reminded that Lorien was a place where time was slowed down. :-)

Final thoughts: Do these compositional factors seem to you to be simply eye-candy - as SirDennisC discussed in his post from the earlier SCOD this week? (not that there's anything wrong with eye-candy!)

Or do they contribute to our understanding of the world of Lorien (or Middle-earth) and/or Galadriel?

For my own part, without stopping to look at this screencap, I wouldn't have fully realized how these subtle touches are not only in alignment with what we know about Galadriel and Lorien, they function as one layer of many that helps us understand and believe in this world and the people in it. And provide a 'world' that seems consistent and rich.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 25 2012, 5:11pm)

Subject User Time
SCOD - "Will you look into the mirror?" Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 25 2012, 5:07pm
    Wonderful SCOD Magpie! :D So much to take in Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb Jul 25 2012, 7:30pm
        ethereal light Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 26 2012, 4:52pm
    You make eye candy sound like a bad thing SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jul 25 2012, 10:29pm
        now you're just poking me Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 26 2012, 5:03pm
            You might find this interesting SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jul 26 2012, 6:55pm
    diminutive light fixture Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jul 26 2012, 12:58am
        good point about the size of the mirror in relationship with Galadriel Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 26 2012, 5:07pm
    Spooky and beautiful Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jul 26 2012, 3:44am
        serendipity of thoughts Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 26 2012, 5:16pm
    Great SCOD Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 26 2012, 5:41am
        and there's so many to appreciate, which is lovely Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 26 2012, 5:19pm
    Mysterious and ethereal zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Jul 26 2012, 6:59am
        random thoughts and links Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 26 2012, 5:34pm
            Replies to random thoughts :) zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Jul 28 2012, 6:08am
    ***SCOD volunteer needed for next week*** Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 26 2012, 5:38pm
        Thanks, Magpie... One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Jul 28 2012, 9:26pm
    a pretty spiritual shot if you ask me and "mr. weaver"... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 27 2012, 4:08am
        At deco... Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 27 2012, 6:16am
    first thought.. batik Send a private message to batik Jul 29 2012, 9:13pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.