More '3rd Hobbit Film' Rumblings
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 25 2012, 2:58pm

Post #126 of 224 (1872 views)
Shortcut
MTV [In reply to] Can't Post

The story has been picked up by MTV and is making the front page of Google news:
Link

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 25 2012, 3:00pm

Post #127 of 224 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Voronwë! [In reply to] Can't Post

"License," yes, that's the word I should have used. That's what I meant when I feebly said that Zaentz retains the underlying rights and "sold" them only for a limited time.

I know you've read the contracts, too. (I should clarify to the group that there are actually two contracts, for some convoluted, peculiar reason, one for The Two Towers and The Hobbit, the other for Fellowship and Return.) Do you see any constraints on Peter and Company turning out sequels, prequels, and extended stories based on the bare-bones outline of events in Appendices A and B? The language seems to imply they can do anything they like--though obviously they wouldn't be able to use an existing text like "The Quest of Erebor." But then, I'm no lawyer, and you are.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 3:02pm

Post #128 of 224 (1696 views)
Shortcut
I find it really interesting how news/entertainment sites have reported this story. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are 2 broad headlines I have seen:

1) PJ wants a 3rd Hobbit film.
2) A 3rd Hobbit film a possibility.

Laugh

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 3:06pm

Post #129 of 224 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Obviously, they would make up a narrative of it [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that narrative would be Aragorn's, and such a bridge film would set up his historic role as the heir of the faithful of Numenor, and the long course of history that pits him against Sauron, the old enemy and betrayer of the Numenorean peoples.

Such fanfiction could go horribly wrong. But I would rather see that than a 2nd Hobbit film that consists of dwarves taking a short walk to a mountain and accidentally waking up a dragon, followed by a 3rd Hobbit film that consists of a two-hour battle scene, folllowed by everyone going home.

The Hobbit should be completed in two films. If PJ wants to create a third bridge film, more power to him. At least it will not interfere with the narrative of the Hobbit. And if it's bad, we can ignore it. On the other hand, it will be hard to ignore a bloated Hobbit.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 25 2012, 3:08pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 3:12pm

Post #130 of 224 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much what you said [In reply to] Can't Post

So far as I can see there are no constraints on them pretty making up whatever they want to. The odd grey area in this case is where Tolkien wrote bare-bones things in the works that they do own the rights to (primarily the LOTR appendices) and more extensive versions in works to which they don't own the rights. To what extent they can expand on those things is the big unanswered question.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 3:13pm

Post #131 of 224 (1978 views)
Shortcut
And now you have said what I would have added! [In reply to] Can't Post

Three Hobbits? No, thank you. A bridge film? No, thank you. Instead, give me two mega-hefty Extended Editions with flashbacks and exposition galore and I'll be happy.

Exactly!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 25 2012, 3:26pm

Post #132 of 224 (1627 views)
Shortcut
I vote for appendix [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully all that they really have planned is a super-EE with a lot of appendix material included as an appendix. I would absolutely pay for that. I don't think it could all be added in-line without completely killing the flow and pacing of the story, though.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 3:33pm

Post #133 of 224 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Highly unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

That they'll spend the money on three more months of filming, just to fill out the EEs. No?

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2012, 3:35pm

Post #134 of 224 (1707 views)
Shortcut
How will they synthesise it properly?... ... that's my question.. it just wouldn't work as a film tbh. I'd love it nevertheless // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 3:37pm

Post #135 of 224 (1678 views)
Shortcut
They're filming for three months regardless [In reply to] Can't Post

No reason why they couldn't add scenes just for the EE?

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 3:37pm

Post #136 of 224 (1627 views)
Shortcut
^ ^ this ^ ^ [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love and adore to see mucho extras in the EEs with deleted scenes and interviews with the technical people and etc.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 3:42pm

Post #137 of 224 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Right, forgot about that [In reply to] Can't Post

Though that leads me to believe that these discussion between PJ and WB are about filming even more, for a new feature film. Whether it's a bridge (meh), or a 2nd Hobbit film cut in half (please no).

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 25 2012, 3:44pm

Post #138 of 224 (1662 views)
Shortcut
Instead of a 3rd Hobbit movie - [In reply to] Can't Post

- why not a War in the North movie? We've got many of the same (though older) characters involved and they can probably reuse some of the Hobbit sets.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 25 2012, 3:50pm

Post #139 of 224 (1617 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they can use anything in the appendices for inspiration except the things that Tolkien drafted and his son Christopher published. The UNFINISHED TALES is the most obvious off-limits source of story ideas and even fully drafted scenes. "The Quest of Erebor" is another. Plus anything in the "History of Middle-earth" series, though I'm not sure there's much of anything there that would be usable. I don't think New Line could possibly get any rights to those published works.

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 25 2012, 3:55pm

Post #140 of 224 (1672 views)
Shortcut
There is always hope. [In reply to] Can't Post

One can dream, right? Cool

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2012, 4:14pm

Post #141 of 224 (1631 views)
Shortcut
No it isn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

He uses the last "Twilight" as an example of how splitting a single book into multiple films can backfire.

That's an example, not an argument. He makes a strong case why an overly-long trilogy is not preferable to a strong duology.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 25 2012, 4:15pm

Post #142 of 224 (1637 views)
Shortcut
A corner has been turned. [In reply to] Can't Post

A fandom arguing against more of what it loves? Talk about being spoiled for choice... remember the dark days when LOTR wrapped with no promise of anything on the horizon? I suppose it's a natural progression, a maturing if you will... like knowing it's a bad idea to order everything on the menu at one sitting.

(Submitted as background noise, in reply to no one in particular.)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 25 2012, 4:32pm

Post #143 of 224 (1617 views)
Shortcut
The 'Hobbit' Trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

What if they show old Bilbo somehow involved in the War in the North - he was around at the time (we may get to see Bilbo showing Frodo-style sensitivity to the presence of a Ringwraith, for example) . That would make it a Hobbit Trilogy.

This third movie may show Bilbo really facing the consequences of being a Ringbearer (we caught a glimpse of this in the LOTR trilogy) amongst the chaos of the War of the Ring.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2012, 4:40pm

Post #144 of 224 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Suggested this as well [In reply to] Can't Post

That would fit with the "making use of the cast" sentiment, in particular, Lee Pace, E. Lilly and Billy Connolly, as well as Hugo Weaving and Cate Blanchett. But is there really a STORY, there, though, that's not LotR-lite?

There's also absolutely no mention of other fronts in the War other than Rohan and Gondor in the LotR films, other than one vague, throw-away line from Legolas in the RotK EE.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 4:43pm

Post #145 of 224 (1536 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see more and I'd love to see more Aragon and gtg. However, how would they roll that all up into leading with how fotr starts out. There is enough material to make something amazing I just worry how it would connect. I have faith in pj and a, thankful its not Lucas.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 4:43pm

Post #146 of 224 (1539 views)
Shortcut
There is enough in the appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

without having to shoe-horn Bilbo into the stories.

imin
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 4:44pm

Post #147 of 224 (1683 views)
Shortcut
It does seem kinda strange [In reply to] Can't Post

Though sometimes less is more.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 4:46pm

Post #148 of 224 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Let's hope the discussion turn into ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Children of Húrin film!

Wink

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 25 2012, 4:48pm

Post #149 of 224 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Ain't goina happen! [In reply to] Can't Post

No rights.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 4:49pm

Post #150 of 224 (1486 views)
Shortcut
No, I know that ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.