More '3rd Hobbit Film' Rumblings
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 25 2012, 9:41pm

Post #201 of 224 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Vocal minority [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep in mind, the majority of people who are content with something don't bother to go on forums and praise it. However, people angry about it will go on to complain about it.

It's hard to say, it looks like more people hate the idea, but, who's really to say.

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 25 2012, 9:44pm

Post #202 of 224 (1728 views)
Shortcut
Still speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

Again though, the bridge film idea is still as much speculation as the idea of it being a third Hobbit. So, either way there's speculation. This is all speculation.

"Peter Jackson looking into filming Hobbit 3 or possibly-bridge film or possibly extended edition footage" is hardly concise.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 9:46pm

Post #203 of 224 (1717 views)
Shortcut
"PJ looking into another Tolkien film" / [In reply to] Can't Post

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 25 2012, 9:51pm

Post #204 of 224 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

But, since most stories, and my own post, are picking up on this info as it comes from the original news sources which slanted it more toward a Third Hobbit film, I'm still more inclined to feel for the time being labelling it a Third Hobbit film is appropriate, and probably one of the more likely answers.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 9:57pm

Post #205 of 224 (1752 views)
Shortcut
It gets the views doesn't it [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you said, a long and boring headline won't be read by anyone. Calling it a 3rd Hobbit film, for the time being, does exactly what they need.

Smile

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 25 2012, 10:16pm

Post #206 of 224 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Old Tom Bombadil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Sounds good to me. Bring on the third film!

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

TheCoon
Lorien

Jul 25 2012, 10:58pm

Post #207 of 224 (1699 views)
Shortcut
i trust peter jackson 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

2 movies 3 movies EEs no EES...see post title

(This post was edited by TheCoon on Jul 25 2012, 11:00pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2012, 1:06am

Post #208 of 224 (1641 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

At what point does the Hobbit become too diluted? 3 films they should change the name of them from the Hobbit to something else because it wouldn't be the Hobbit anymore. I truly hope they scrap the idea of a third film just like they scrapped the idea of a bridge film years ago...Tongue

2 films I can live with 3 forget it It dilutes the Hobbit too much if they want to make the Hobbit one of those films and make 2 more that aren't the Hobbit I can live with that or 2 films with the Hobbit and DolGuldur subplot thats fine too but just to add more and more stuff that spreads the butter too thin over the bread IMO to make a 3rd film is diluting the Hobbit way too muchWink

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 26 2012, 1:31am

Post #209 of 224 (1641 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit is a much more dense book than LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

in terms of action scenes and things happening.

The Hobbit is a page-turner with less references to the histories detailed in the appendices, relatively less paragraphs devoted to descriptions of scenery and lineages, and action happening on each page.

LOTR was also action-packed but there were plenty of pages of simple travel through grasslands or struggles against unfriendly bushes and the like.

In the Hobbit, Bilbo gets out the door within a day or so of the opening lines with Gandalf whereas in LOTR it takes quite some time for things to get going.

For comparison, it takes a few chapters to make it to Rivendell but it takes a whole series through Hobbiton, another throught the Old Forest, another in Bree, and another through the Lone Lands in LOTR to get to the same exact location in space and distance

The pace of The Hobbit, if directly translated to film, would be whiplashingly fast. This may create some room to balance that page-turning pace with some of the more relevant background story in the appendices (although maybe not everything all at once without careful synthesis). This also may naturally lend The Hobbit to more time on film per chapter comparatively.

For example, there is mention of singing and teasing of dwarves about beards upon reaching Rivendell but the full expanded dialogues isn't all there in the same way much of LOTR is written. Instead, there is one song about the entry into Rivendell and then a paragraph covering their stay up until they meet with Eldrond. Instead of giving all the details, there is just this

"I wish I had time to tell you even a few of the tales or one or two of the songs they heard in that house" - The Hobbit, A Short Rest

I don't know ... maybe like one or two of the songs and stories in the appendices or something Wink?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 26 2012, 2:24am

Post #210 of 224 (1605 views)
Shortcut
I think the Bridge Movie might be back.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 26 2012, 2:28am

Post #211 of 224 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

But does that perspective lead to fun and slightly ridiculous conversation, speculation and hyperventilation? No, it doesn't. Smile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 26 2012, 2:29am

Post #212 of 224 (1683 views)
Shortcut
I don't trust Peter Jackson 100%. More around 12-17%, really [In reply to] Can't Post

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jul 26 2012, 3:52am

Post #213 of 224 (1631 views)
Shortcut
3rd movie and music score [In reply to] Can't Post

I would imagine PJ would have this decision made and planned before recording the score in August. I think I remember Howard Shore saying he really composed LotR as one piece beginning to end and I am guess the approach would be the same here. If a 3rd movie was in the works, wouldn't that change Shore's approach?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2012, 3:59am

Post #214 of 224 (1583 views)
Shortcut
i don't except when its "official sources" saying it which there is [In reply to] Can't Post

Entertainment Weekly posted this online:

EW has confirmed that serious discussions between Jackson and Warner Bros. are indeed taking place to explore the possibility of turning The Hobbit into a trilogy.

as well as the LA Times has a article saying the same thing...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 26 2012, 4:28am

Post #215 of 224 (1577 views)
Shortcut
You couldn't round it ip to 20%? [In reply to] Can't Post

I trust Peter's enthusiasm.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 26 2012, 5:19am

Post #216 of 224 (1567 views)
Shortcut
The funny thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman brings my confidence levels about my enjoyment of these films up to around 70%...

I trust that PJ's enthusiasm means we will never get cardboard, soulless films. To that, I will always be thankful to him. I just don't trust that his directing style will lead to films that I really appreciate.

That, really, is all there is to it.

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 26 2012, 7:14am

Post #217 of 224 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo vs. Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, I watched some of Lord of the Rings the other day, my father had it on. But, to me the weakest link was always Elijah Wood .. I just did not find him compelling to watch in the film. Whether it was just the role of Frodo in general, the script, or how he played him (namely toothless smirks, really sad faces and talking softly), but he was just not a good lead.

Bilbo on the other hand, infinitely more interesting a character with a few more human flaws to him as written. Frodo, at least in the films, just kind of goes with what happens and on about his burden. Bilbo to me has a more satisfying arc, and the fact that Martin Freeman, who is much more likeable, is playing him should definitely make The Hobbit's .. Hobbit portions more interesting. That's just my opinion though.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 26 2012, 8:52am

Post #218 of 224 (1541 views)
Shortcut
I have no connections with either sources [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not American so have no reason at all to believe what they say.

Every news and entertainment website you could think of have jumped on the "3rd Hobbit film" bandwagon. The original information has become so distorted that I have no idea who to believe!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 26 2012, 5:15pm

Post #219 of 224 (1513 views)
Shortcut
The fault of the scriptwriters and Wood [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO.

Book Frodo is infinitely more colorful and interesting. And he's got a wonderfully dry sense of humor too.

And though this may sound unfair, I think Frodo being played by an American was a real problem (particularly an American as flat as Wood).

Freeman, being English, and being a naturally funny Englishman, will make these films far more enjoyable.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 28 2012, 6:47pm

Post #220 of 224 (1441 views)
Shortcut
Not only that [In reply to] Can't Post

but if it does suck-which I highly doubt-I'm sure we could just ignore it. Like 'Nightmare on Elm Street 2'. It's just not a part of the cannon.

I'd rather see an attempt than nothing at all.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 28 2012, 6:47pm

Post #221 of 224 (1442 views)
Shortcut
i thought he was a great Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

but they made him too wimpy. That irritated me.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 28 2012, 6:49pm

Post #222 of 224 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Mwa HA HA HA HA!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

hutch
Rohan

Jul 28 2012, 6:53pm

Post #223 of 224 (1457 views)
Shortcut
That would make people less upset [In reply to] Can't Post

If they didn't think the Hobbit was in jeopardy and they could just ignore a bad bridge movie. I think people just don't wanna wait an extra year for Bof5A.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 28 2012, 6:55pm

Post #224 of 224 (1452 views)
Shortcut
What did you think of 'The Hunt for Gollum'? [In reply to] Can't Post

the quality and length of that film gives me high hopes for a bridge film.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.