Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Jackson on changing what GdT did
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 1:00pm

Post #1 of 26 (1809 views)
Shortcut
Jackson on changing what GdT did Can't Post

This video has the clearest statement that I have heard from Jackson about changing what Guillermo had done so that it would be a Peter Jackson movie, not a GdT movie.

http://www.dailymotion.com/...he-hobbit_shortfilms

He also makes it pretty clear that the additional material that he would like to shoot would be for extended editions, not a third movie (despite the interviewer pushing the latter idea).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Jul 24 2012, 1:28pm

Post #2 of 26 (871 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

However, in this clip is the clearest indication I've seen of PJ stating that he would like to do a 3rd movie. (Thanks to QuackingTroll)

http://youtu.be/NH4ScMOzWgs?t=1m12s

elanesse
Rivendell

Jul 24 2012, 2:18pm

Post #3 of 26 (882 views)
Shortcut
GdT-hobbiton [In reply to] Can't Post

can't find a link right now, but there exists also a second hobbiton-set of the times when GdT was the director. It looks a bit more shabby and wild.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 24 2012, 2:22pm

Post #4 of 26 (754 views)
Shortcut
Really? Would be interested in seeing that link / [In reply to] Can't Post

elanesse
Rivendell

Jul 24 2012, 2:31pm

Post #5 of 26 (705 views)
Shortcut
3rd Movie, no thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

a short book for children blown up into a trilogy, i don't think that works. of course there lies a lot of potential in the appendixes, but i'd prefer seeing that in the hobbit 1 or 2 or in the extended editions.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 2:36pm

Post #6 of 26 (775 views)
Shortcut
It's a real shame [In reply to] Can't Post

That we will never know what that movie would have been like.

elanesse
Rivendell

Jul 24 2012, 2:44pm

Post #7 of 26 (810 views)
Shortcut
hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

i found this picture of Guillermos set: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/...+Toro%27s+Corner.jpg

from here http://www.nznoldor.com/

and an article in german but the links to the pictures doesn't work anymore: http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/...filme/news_84544.php

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 24 2012, 2:48pm

Post #8 of 26 (685 views)
Shortcut
Thanks elanesse [In reply to] Can't Post

I had never seen the article (or pictures before!)

I love the way Hobbiton is. I don't mind so much if GDT's influence has gone Smile

Eruonen
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 2:55pm

Post #9 of 26 (672 views)
Shortcut
Time to review though appendices once again! I know there is a lot there to consider. [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 2:59pm

Post #10 of 26 (682 views)
Shortcut
Had not seen those photos either, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Its an interesting take and looks to me just like someone who took photos of the sets just when they went on holiday. I think with the hobbits having gardeners i doubt things would be that wild but then somewhere in between there and what pj has hobbiton looking like would be great to see.

Really like pj's hobbiton though so i'm glad its pj!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 3:02pm

Post #11 of 26 (690 views)
Shortcut
There is no real evidence [In reply to] Can't Post

That the particular shot in question was, actually, one of GDT's set. Just the word of one person who may have been speculating.

As far as I am aware, GDT never got to build a whole set.

I think that image is simply of one of the poorer, or more rural, hobbit holes in Hobbiton.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 24 2012, 3:05pm

Post #12 of 26 (653 views)
Shortcut
The Herr-der-ringe article uses the same image [In reply to] Can't Post

And suggests it was GDT influence. I thought the same until I read the article.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2012, 3:16pm

Post #13 of 26 (662 views)
Shortcut
Choices [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[It's a real shame] That we will never know what that movie would have been like.

The same could be said if Del Toro were the director about Peter Jackson's version. The grass is always greener...

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 24 2012, 3:21pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2012, 3:20pm

Post #14 of 26 (655 views)
Shortcut
Hobbiton Picture [In reply to] Can't Post

What do hobbits need with a red gas can?

LOL.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2012, 3:26pm

Post #15 of 26 (605 views)
Shortcut
That pic dates back to when the Hobbiton set was just being built... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I don't think it was ever meant to be the Hobbiton we'd see on film.

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

shadowdog
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 3:35pm

Post #16 of 26 (574 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't this taken [In reply to] Can't Post

While Hobbiton was being set up and wasn't the finished product?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 3:37pm

Post #17 of 26 (607 views)
Shortcut
A little different, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

As we have already seen over 10+ hours of PJ's vision.

I am a bit uncomfortable with one director dominating interpretation of Tolkien. I wished to see someone else take a shot.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 24 2012, 3:42pm

Post #18 of 26 (568 views)
Shortcut
Saw that and wondered [In reply to] Can't Post

if someone wanted to see the world burn even then.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 3:45pm

Post #19 of 26 (592 views)
Shortcut
I think the author of that article [In reply to] Can't Post

Is just working off the caption from the photo, taken from that person's site.

No reason, IMO, to believe that Herr-der-ringe confirmed that speculation with a source inside the production.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 24 2012, 3:46pm

Post #20 of 26 (592 views)
Shortcut
Apart from looking wild [In reply to] Can't Post

it does have the look of someone trying to obscure something from prying eyes.

On the other hand I like the sweeping forms -- it captures the way scrub grows on grassland. Still, we don't know how much of the greenery is rooted or moveable, if it is in place to hide something or if this is as you say a finished set. (Not to mention it appears to be taken in winter, a season we are not familiar with in the Shire.)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 24 2012, 3:55pm)

elanesse
Rivendell

Jul 24 2012, 3:46pm

Post #21 of 26 (599 views)
Shortcut
not uncomfortable [In reply to] Can't Post

but it would have been interesting if GdT had more influence in the hobbit movies.

But i'm still happy that PJ came back to direct the movies, because i think they will fit to the LOTR-trilogy.

Maybe there will be remakes or new interpretations of Tolkiens world in 20-30 years...maybe as a Silmarillion-series?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 24 2012, 3:47pm

Post #22 of 26 (542 views)
Shortcut
You're probably right / [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 24 2012, 3:53pm

Post #23 of 26 (596 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Voronwe [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like a complete overhaul, which, as I've argued before, only makes sense with so many changes at the top (and of course a change in directors). It is encouraging that he seemed to take the question in stride, and answered graciously. It remains a delicate issue for some... probably more so for people who began working on the film back in 2008.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 4:57pm

Post #24 of 26 (579 views)
Shortcut
I think he clearly has great respect for Guillermo [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think he realizes that they have different visions. I liked his comment that only Guillermo can make a "GdT movie". It would, in my opinion, have been a mistake for Jackson to try.

I think for some people, the films would have been more enjoyable had Guillermo remained at the helm. For others, less so. I have mixed feelings. In some ways I think that GdT exhibited a stronger understanding of Tolkien and the influences that drove him than Jackson, and I was excited to see how that would have played out in the films. But Guillermo has such a strong and distinctive imagination himself that I suspect that I would have found the films to be too far afield from my own expectations of Tolkien's work. Of course, that is based on only small drips and drabs of information (primarily that notorious New Yorker article/interview) as well as what can be gleamed from Guillermo's past films. What the truth would have been, we will never know.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2012, 7:40pm

Post #25 of 26 (244 views)
Shortcut
Why so serious? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.