Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Prod Blog
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 12:30am

Post #201 of 366 (18727 views)
Shortcut
I would love for him to come paint some murals in my house!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 12:34am

Post #202 of 366 (19140 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm very anxious to see it. I wonder though, which film it would be in? If film one, we will most likely not see Smaug, but i feel like it would be crammed into film two...

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 24 2012, 12:37am

Post #203 of 366 (18549 views)
Shortcut
Decently gritty [In reply to] Can't Post

All the battle scenes involving sieges are filmed in a pretty 'gritty' manner. Flying decapitated heads, crumbling city walls, ultra violence. It's also all handled very seriously and straight-faced. It's as Peter said, about handling the material as if they were filming a documentary in the location that it happened.

I guess for reference an un-gritty handling of fantastical warware might be Narnia films.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 12:43am

Post #204 of 366 (19471 views)
Shortcut
Meduseld is my absolute favorite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rivendell is a very, very close second, but Meduseld is simply gorgeous. Absolutely phenomenol. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to stand out there on the hill surrounded by the white topped mountains...

L.J. Kiosq
The Shire

Jul 24 2012, 12:43am

Post #205 of 366 (18899 views)
Shortcut
I'm too late...AGAIN!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I see a vlog and want to discuss it on theonering.net, everyone has already said everything there is to say.

Oh well...guess I'll just express my modest joy at what I've been able to see.

Yay!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 12:54am

Post #206 of 366 (18745 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the sets. [In reply to] Can't Post

With how many and how big the sets are, the issue of cgi seems like less of a big deal. The Dale set is so gorgeous, but the Italian or Moroccan feel is definitely not how I imagined it. Somehow it feels too modern. Oh well, I still love it and I'm sure it'll look brilliant on film.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 12:55am

Post #207 of 366 (18206 views)
Shortcut
Don't let that stop you! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's still plenty of us here who will discuss with you!

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 1:00am

Post #208 of 366 (18275 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a woman's voice. [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 1:02am

Post #209 of 366 (18261 views)
Shortcut
Same... [In reply to] Can't Post

I spend 99% of my time with TORn on in the background, frequently refreshing and reading posts. The odd time I actually leave my computer for a few hours and some news comes out! Pirate I wonder, if I turn my laptop off for a week, you guys could have the biggest news week ever. Although, I don't think it works that way.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 1:02am

Post #210 of 366 (19175 views)
Shortcut
Thorin, Thrain, Erebor, Dale etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite writes: "Excellent bit of detail, which draws on descriptions in the Sil...

I am now quite convinced that these particular scenes are not from Azanulbizar, nor from BofA (as we have an armourless Thorin, with the very same dwarf sword he has before the trollshaws) but from a scene depicting a defensive act against Smaug's first attack on Erebor.

I also think that the reason we have been given such an extensively detailed and massive set of Dale, is that we will see a lot of action there in an extended flashback that includes Bard, etc. AND help from dwarven soldiers, who may enter Dale to help protect it from Smaug. That help from the dwarves might feed into why the people of Laketown revere Thorin and Company so much when they arrive...

Otherwise, I cannot see why PJ and company would have spent so much money, time and effort on such a massive set. We will be seeing lots of drama there, I think."

I agree Thorin is certainly younger here, so it can't be the BoFA. I would love this to be the battle of Az., but I don't think it is either. For it to be the coming of Smaug re-writes everything, but I don't see why pre-Smaug Dale would be given a set the size of Minas Tirith if they weren't going to do something like what you said.

The more I look at these shots below, the more I think that is Thrain next to Thorin (missing eye and all). Thrain is supposed to lose his eye in the battle of Azanulbizar, but whatever Crazy The second would be Thrain after the Necromancer gets a hold of him. Yick!

Compare to this:

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Jul 24 2012, 1:03am)

artemy
Lorien

Jul 24 2012, 1:11am

Post #211 of 366 (18863 views)
Shortcut
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ you've made my day! I was practically hyperventilating when I saw this! This film is going to be magnificent, I can already tell I'm going to enjoy it 10 times more than LOTR! Jeez, this whole video was so beautiful Heart

Those stone giants are fantastic, you really get the enormous sense of scale, like a force of nature brought to life.

That dwarf army must be a flashback, Thorin has a different coat and darker hair. I don't think that can be Dain with him, he's too old - maybe Nain? Would make sense for Dain to inherit his father's weapon. Those dwarf lords in their furs and finery look great, as do the armoured soldiers!

Can't get enough of those absolutely breathtaking sets. They have really outdone themselves: Rhosgobel, Beorn's house, Goblin town, and Dale! Oh, Dale is just exquisite. I wonder how it will feature?

I'm so glad to see little details such as Gollum's boat, the honeycomb and carvings in Beorn's house, the Mirkwood elves wearing autumn colours. Radagast is going to be a very lovable character I can see, and Tauriel and Galadriel both look gorgeous (though in the former's case also like a warrior!)

Finally, the cameos of eagles and wargs make me eager for the next trailer, to be in full CGI please and thank you Wink

What a wondrous journey this must have been with all those extraordinarily agreeable people, cast and crew. Beside my excitement this made me quite sad. My tears were a mixture of joy and desolation....

When it's time to pray, we'll be dressed up all in grey, with metal on our tongues, and silver in our lungs.

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 24 2012, 1:16am)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 1:16am

Post #212 of 366 (18547 views)
Shortcut
Do it! [In reply to] Can't Post

QT wrote: "I spend 99% of my time with TORn on in the background, frequently refreshing and reading posts. The odd time I actually leave my computer for a few hours and some news comes out! Pirate I wonder, if I turn my laptop off for a week, you guys could have the biggest news week ever. Although, I don't think it works that way."

Try it. Maybe the movie will come out earlier! Tongue

Bagheera
Bree

Jul 24 2012, 1:20am

Post #213 of 366 (19131 views)
Shortcut
Dale = Laketown? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm confused.
The blog is great, loved it. But why did they build such a big set of the ruined city of Dale...especially since it's not in ruins...?

I know it could be for a prologue/flashback, it probably is, I just want someone to relieve my fears...they haven't combined Laketown and Dale, have they?

Check out my contemporary-fantasy book "We Kill Death" at
https://www.createspace.com/3911765
or on Amazon!

artemy
Lorien

Jul 24 2012, 1:23am

Post #214 of 366 (18267 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't think they have combined them [In reply to] Can't Post

since we've seen glimpses of Laketown elsewhere and it's quite grim and ramshackle, and built on stilts over the water like in the book.

When it's time to pray, we'll be dressed up all in grey, with metal on our tongues, and silver in our lungs.

Bagheera
Bree

Jul 24 2012, 1:30am

Post #215 of 366 (18137 views)
Shortcut
Aha. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that mention it, I remember that quote about the stilts and the ramshackleness, etc. Thank you.

Check out my contemporary-fantasy book "We Kill Death" at
https://www.createspace.com/3911765
or on Amazon!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 1:31am

Post #216 of 366 (18201 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, DJ [In reply to] Can't Post

You're basically saying you want me to leave for a week? You make me feel so loved. If there was a crying emoticon, I'd use it!

On a completely unrelated note, here's a funny picture: http://www.dorkly.com/...ron-on-math-homework

imin
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 1:33am

Post #217 of 366 (18619 views)
Shortcut
Haha, love the drawing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have given the kid a mark!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 1:36am

Post #218 of 366 (18233 views)
Shortcut
the contrast to dale and laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

I think by showing how splendid Dale was back in its heyday will help greatly contrast to laketown's current state and the more subdued and fearful state of Man during the Hobbit. Imagine those glorious Dale flashbacks in comparison to the corrupt and seething city on the lake.

Also I think that despite Dale having a funky Mediterranean vibe, I believe the art direction is meant to reflect maybe a breezier time in Middle Earth history and also the filmmakers trying to differentiate this society as compared to others in The Hobbit and in LOTR.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

artemy
Lorien

Jul 24 2012, 1:51am

Post #219 of 366 (18329 views)
Shortcut
...Did I just see a frickin LLAMA walking through Dale?! [In reply to] Can't Post

L.J. Kiosq
The Shire

Jul 24 2012, 2:01am

Post #220 of 366 (18903 views)
Shortcut
ORLANDO'S STILL GOT IT! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that scene in the vlog at 7:40 where Legolas is just about to square off against a bunch of orcs and he has this great killer look in his eyes.

I'm a guy, but I will admit that I had a fangirl attack right at that moment and squealed.

Is that wrong?

imin
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 2:10am

Post #221 of 366 (18353 views)
Shortcut
Yes :P .......whatever makes you happy :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love that scene in the vlog at 7:40 where Legolas is just about to square off against a bunch of orcs and he has this great killer look in his eyes.

I'm a guy, but I will admit that I had a fangirl attack right at that moment and squealed.

Is that wrong?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 2:44am

Post #222 of 366 (18692 views)
Shortcut
That is some pretty grim homework [In reply to] Can't Post

The graph plots the time between when a person's chest hits the steering wheel and their head hits the dash in a collision. No wonder kids want to escape into fantasy worlds full of undying evil.

And forget my advice. We can wait until Dec 14th for the movie, but we couldn't do without you!

Gushy enough for ya?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 2:48am

Post #223 of 366 (18605 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure I saw it too // [In reply to] Can't Post

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 2:51am

Post #224 of 366 (18166 views)
Shortcut
The surface of this vlog has hardly been scratched // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eärwen Swan Maiden Of Alqualondë
Bree

Jul 24 2012, 2:56am

Post #225 of 366 (18248 views)
Shortcut
If it's wrong, then I don't wanna be right!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Peek-A-Boo!

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.