Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Prod Blog
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 10:54pm

Post #176 of 366 (19189 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

So many great details! Spilt second shots of the Trolls moving and a Stone Giant, Dwarven soldiers! The sets are incredible, its great to see Rhosogobel, and Berons house - the carvings were brilant and its cool how it built to be in scale with the dwarves. Looks like the Humphries face will be the basis for the Great Goblin is the same way as Serkis and Gollum.

Any possibility of the Dwarf we think is Dain could be pre-Dol Guldor Thrain?

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 23 2012, 10:55pm

Post #177 of 366 (18810 views)
Shortcut
gritty? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would hardly call the LOTR trilogy gritty. Ents anyone? I think those stone giants look magnificent.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 23 2012, 10:56pm

Post #178 of 366 (19127 views)
Shortcut
I agree it looks like her, but then the Goblin or Orc [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like Sharku from LOTR. Perhaps in The Hobbit we will see how he got the scars and metal plates on his head?

Has there been any mention of how many of the key actors did double duty under prosthetics (for instance played a Dwarf and a Goblin?)

Wait... duh... is that the Goblin King? So much to process...

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 10:57pm

Post #179 of 366 (18766 views)
Shortcut
Privacy [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I've read, I think that Peter and Fran made a decision that only Peter would be in the spotlight, so that the effect on their family life could be minimised as much as possible. So although Fran is a very active partner in the scripts and production side (I believe she even did some directing in LotR - the snow on Mount Caradhas), she stays out of limelight.

She was there to accept the Oscars with Peter and is on the director's commentaries for the DVDs.

R11
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 10:57pm

Post #180 of 366 (18819 views)
Shortcut
To me [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always viewed the stone giants kind of like an extension of the way American Indians viewed many things in nature, attributing human elements to them in their stories etc. The Stone Giants were essentially the source of the thunder in the storm via their boulder throwing etc. They were closely tied with the embodiment of the storm itself, and to that end they were exactly the reason the crew took shelter in what they thought was just a cave. That kind of outlook also explains why they were never seen at other times as well and weren't regular "bad guys" per se.

ron

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 23 2012, 11:02pm

Post #181 of 366 (18732 views)
Shortcut
Most likely Thrain... [In reply to] Can't Post

because of the one-eye.

Besides, Dain and Nain were from another Dwarven contingent, so Dain and Thorin would likely not have fought alongside one another during the dwarf/orc war.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 23 2012, 11:02pm

Post #182 of 366 (18712 views)
Shortcut
Rather than run the risk she will be inserted in LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

don't you?Laugh

(Seriously though, I don't really care about that sort of thing since I have several copies of the original films on DVD. It was more of a problem when Lucas did it (oh crap am I going to get banned?) since there were fewer copies of the TR floating around back then.)

Here's a thought: she doesn't die in Bo5A, rather the rumoured third film will be about her and Kili's forbidden love.Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 11:05pm

Post #183 of 366 (18763 views)
Shortcut
You never know ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen at Helm's Deep didn't work. But it would be very easy to photoshop Tauriel's head on instead Wink

After the death of Kili, she moves onto Haldir?!

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Jul 23 2012, 11:09pm

Post #184 of 366 (18810 views)
Shortcut
Something odd at 13:25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Did others notice this?

TP.

R11
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 11:11pm

Post #185 of 366 (18701 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen any problems for the logic and plot due to any of those things [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's just the people who have unbending, uncreative, unimaginative minds that have those issues. Those are the same people who prefer hard "sci-fi" over more fantasy based things as well I believe.

ron

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 11:11pm

Post #186 of 366 (19074 views)
Shortcut
Blurred out Radagast? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Snulleman
The Shire

Jul 23 2012, 11:14pm

Post #187 of 366 (19195 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist in Legolas' possession? [In reply to] Can't Post

It sure looks like Orcrist that Legolas has by his side in his short fighting sequence @ ~7:40-~7:53.

Snulleman
The Shire

Jul 23 2012, 11:16pm

Post #188 of 366 (18647 views)
Shortcut
Most likely, you can see the back of what has to be him @ 13:05. [In reply to] Can't Post

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2012, 11:22pm

Post #189 of 366 (19529 views)
Shortcut
Except [In reply to] Can't Post

We see what is presumably Thrain later on in the blog (scraggly hair/beard, diseased skin), and he looks nothing like the dwarf running alongside Thorin.

I'm thinking it's Dain, and it's no stretch that PJ would have reworked the BoFA to have these two kings fighting alongside each other,

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 23 2012, 11:29pm

Post #190 of 366 (18709 views)
Shortcut
Leggie takes Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly is! Thieving elf!

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 23 2012, 11:33pm

Post #191 of 366 (18573 views)
Shortcut
Except that scene doesn't seem to be from The Battle of Five Armies... [In reply to] Can't Post

and Dain is supposed to have a mohawk by then.

I don't think Peter will reveal Dain quite yet....

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 23 2012, 11:39pm

Post #192 of 366 (18803 views)
Shortcut
Not a battleground [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed, this doesn't look remotely like they are outside Moria, but rather inside somewhere heading out, and I can't think where else that would be besides Erebor (there are quills on a desk to the left). It jacks with canon to have Thorin of fighting age at the coming of Smaug, but that's what I'm leaning toward for now. With all the little (and major) changes they have made so far, it would not surprise me.

Still can't decide if that is Dain, Thrain, or someone else next to Thorin.

Bauglir100
Bree

Jul 23 2012, 11:41pm

Post #193 of 366 (18662 views)
Shortcut
RE: [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it goes to show that there are other forces at work in Middle-earth that AREN'T tied to Sauron or some other prominently featured character.

Why aren't they found anywhere in LOTR? Because the giants are present in the northern end of the Misty Mountains, a location that the Fellowship avoids visiting, and they're too far away from Mordor, Moria, or Isengard to be of any direct relevance there.

And why doesn't anyone try to use the Stone-Giants? Because they're Stone-Giants! Who would try to manipulate something that overly destructive and powerful? Imagine the trouble Melkor must have had dealing with Ungoliant in "The Silmarillion". Now imagine the trouble Sauron would have keeping a bunch of giants under his control without tearing his armies to pieces.

Or perhaps they did participate in the War of the Ring on Sauron's side, but we didn't see any of that happen because they were just too far away from the setting of the story. Either way, they're not going to show up in a story just because they exist in its universe. It's like why you never see certain planets, aliens, or technology in the Star Wars movies, even though they exist in the overall mythology of the franchise.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2012, 11:47pm

Post #194 of 366 (19258 views)
Shortcut
Too much awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rhosgobel! Dale! Dwarf warriors (from a flashback to the fall of Erebor)? Hints of Tauriel and Radagast...And our first good look at an Orc (NOT a Goblin, very reminiscent of Sauron's mooks from the trilogy...perhaps Legolas/Tauriel fighting the forces of the Necromancer)?

And Stone Giants! Made of stone...that's sort-of bizarre, isn't it? In any case, very cool! Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 23 2012, 11:50pm)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 23 2012, 11:58pm

Post #195 of 366 (19738 views)
Shortcut
Yep. That is McCoy // [In reply to] Can't Post

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 12:01am

Post #196 of 366 (18965 views)
Shortcut
This works for me! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 24 2012, 12:03am

Post #197 of 366 (18694 views)
Shortcut
If you go by the book, when Smaug attacks Erebor, Dain would have been about three years old.// [In reply to] Can't Post

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 24 2012, 12:12am

Post #198 of 366 (18519 views)
Shortcut
It's a fair criticism [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the same logic that leads to the justifiable questions "why didn't they just have the army of dead sweep into mordor, killing all the orcs" (Jackson had them clear out Minas Tirith in the film, which wasn't in the books, but made more sense, in my opinion), or "why don't the eagles just fly in and drop the ring in Mount Doom" (seeing as they can combat the nazgul quite well, and that would effectively be Sauron's only line of defense against flying creatures).

The force of nature logic works for some things, but it is a bit plot convenient when the so called 'force of nature' more often than not will give allegiance to the protagonists when they need it in convenient moments.

The eagles are a deus ex machina, for sure. Tolkien was an amazing world building, thematic writer. Narratively though, there are a lot of moments that are 'on the nose', so to speak.

If it takes more rationalizing to explain why those creatures *aren't* involved, then there's probably something off.

However, I'm talking more about creatures as a whole rather than specifically the stone giants, or say the Watcher in Fellowship of the Ring. Those don't irk me, and I can buy the 'they just weren't around'. Those flying deus ex machina Eagles though ..

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 12:19am

Post #199 of 366 (18469 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 12:27am

Post #200 of 366 (18420 views)
Shortcut
Right there with you!// [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.