Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Prod Blog
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 10:10pm

Post #151 of 366 (20672 views)
Shortcut
Yeah he does [In reply to] Can't Post

As does Oin i think. Its not that i dont like the dwarves from the hobbit, i do like them apart from Kili and axe in Bifur's head but thats old news now!

I just felt those linked to had the great big beard and just somehow looked dwarvish, i cant really explain it other than i loved their design and they fit my mental image.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 10:11pm

Post #152 of 366 (20497 views)
Shortcut
Bloom remembered the contact lenses this time round: [In reply to] Can't Post

https://plus.google.com/.../5768448857099729650

Laugh

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 10:11pm

Post #153 of 366 (20926 views)
Shortcut
I think you are right :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 10:13pm

Post #154 of 366 (20677 views)
Shortcut
Makes his eyes look really weird! [In reply to] Can't Post

They meant to make his pupils bigger or is it actually way darker in there than we see on the screen cap?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 10:17pm

Post #155 of 366 (20637 views)
Shortcut
Just realised that Alan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

is painting the One Ring onto Sauron's hand:

https://plus.google.com/.../5768450147097247698

Can he paint that on my wall at home, please?!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 10:18pm

Post #156 of 366 (20520 views)
Shortcut
Love the dwarf masks on the dwarven soldiers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent bit of detail, which draws on descriptions in the Sil...

I am now quite convinced that these particular scenes are not from Azanulbizar, nor from BofA (as we have an armourless Thorin, with the very same dwarf sword he has before the trollshaws) but from a scene depicting a defensive act against Smaug's first attack on Erebor.

I also think that the reason we have been given such an extensively detailed and massive set of Dale, is that we will see a lot of action there in an extended flashback that includes Bard, etc. AND help from dwarven soldiers, who may enter Dale to help protect it from Smaug. That help from the dwarves might feed into why the people of Laketown revere Thorin and Company so much when they arrive...

Otherwise, I cannot see why PJ and company would have spent so much money, time and effort on such a massive set. We will be seeing lots of drama there, I think.

elanesse
Rivendell

Jul 23 2012, 10:18pm

Post #157 of 366 (20607 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel at 11:32? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that also Evangeline Lily?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 23 2012, 10:20pm

Post #158 of 366 (20672 views)
Shortcut
The sword we see Pace swinging around [In reply to] Can't Post

looks an awful lot like Hadafang (aka Arwen's Sword).

Yes it was nice to see Lee Pace. I've never seen him in anything before (apparently I will this November 21 as he is named in Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 2.) He seems very reserved personality wise.

I agree too that it was nice seeing Legolas. At first glance his costume and equipment looks very much like what we saw in LOTR.

And if that isn't Tauriel, it must be her double... she looks very much like Kate in the face but also in the way she moves. (Good catch!)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 10:21pm

Post #159 of 366 (20610 views)
Shortcut
Watch Lee Pace in "the Fall" [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonderful little film, with a fantastical flair.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 10:23pm

Post #160 of 366 (21028 views)
Shortcut
I looove the stone giants! [In reply to] Can't Post

Suggestive and shadowy, like something out of a dream.

This vlog gives me hope The Hobbit will have the necessary fairy tale feeling that makes it unique - and poignant, once the political side of the last half comes into play.

The tone/aesthetic should be a lot different from the nature vs. industry play of the first LotR film (though that was very beautiful too).

Beorn's house is particularly exquisite.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 10:24pm

Post #161 of 366 (21280 views)
Shortcut
Yup, it's her alright [In reply to] Can't Post

https://plus.google.com/.../5768450907602015938

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 10:26pm

Post #162 of 366 (20531 views)
Shortcut
I think it is Arwen's sword... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://plus.google.com/.../5768446892040982066

It has the exact same shape.

Pace may just be practicing though. Perhaps his sword wasn't yet ready?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 23 2012, 10:34pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2012, 10:28pm

Post #163 of 366 (20549 views)
Shortcut
First thing that struck me: Those sets are INCREDIBLY impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they might even rival LotR's best sets, including Minas Tirith, and Helm's Deep. Dale looks amazing, Rhasgobel looks amazing, Beorn's Hall is stunning.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2012, 10:28pm

Post #164 of 366 (20510 views)
Shortcut
Is it weird that [In reply to] Can't Post

my biggest OH MY GOOOOOOD scene was Orlando Bloom and Lee Pace practising together the Elven movements?

It just....

Seeing all the sets was wonderful, but that quick shot was such a mind bending trip inside Middle-Earth, inside the countless fanfics read during all these years, trying to imagine what Tolkien and PJ left unshown.

Shivers, friends, shivers.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 10:31pm

Post #165 of 366 (20435 views)
Shortcut
Great find :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you i think he is just practicing. There seems to be some wooden swords just behind that would be perfect for practicing with. Maybe he moved on one stage from wooden sword, lol.

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 10:33pm

Post #166 of 366 (20456 views)
Shortcut
That was what i noticed most i think as well [In reply to] Can't Post

For me they are even better than Minas Tirith and probably Helms Deep. I really liked Meduseld.

I want to live in Beorns house its that cool to me, lol.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 23 2012, 10:34pm

Post #167 of 366 (20662 views)
Shortcut
A couple comments on Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree it looks great. The view shown must be from a prologue or when Thorin talks about how Smaug came to reside in Erebor.

The VO (not sure whose voice it was) said it looked Moroccan or Italian... Mediterranean covers it I think. (And now I wonder if we were looking at Dale here at all?)

Seeing the sets, and in light of PJ's comments, it makes me wonder what all the fuss was recently about not using miniatures (or bigatures) as they did in LOTR.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 10:36pm

Post #168 of 366 (21220 views)
Shortcut
These photos are definitely of Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I agree it looks great. The view shown must be from a prologue or when Thorin talks about how Smaug came to reside in Erebor.

The VO (not sure whose voice it was) said it looked Moroccan or Italian... Mediterranean covers it I think. (And now I wonder if we were looking at Dale here at all?)

Seeing the sets, and in light of PJ's comments, it makes me wonder what all the fuss was recently about not using miniatures (or bigatures) as they did in LOTR.

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 10:37pm

Post #169 of 366 (21557 views)
Shortcut
Well remembered with the link [In reply to] Can't Post

And yeah that is Dale can see some of the photos are exactly where some people in the blog were standing. Looks like it has been destroyed and trees have encroached into the town.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 23 2012, 10:45pm

Post #170 of 366 (20940 views)
Shortcut
Well Hadafang was invented by PJ and co for LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

so they have absolute control of its provenance. IIRC it was made for an ancestor of Elrond's, passed from him to Arwen. It was wielded by Elrond in the prologue of LOTR so it is unlikely that he gave it to Thranduil before giving it to Arwen.

Unless it was intended for the eldest elf daughter in the entire family? Perhaps then he did give it to Thranduil who then gave it to Tauriel, and upon her death it passed back to Elrond to give to Arwen, assuming she is next in line (according to age or family line)? In any event, again they can do whatever they want since it is an invented sword... ending up in the hands of an invented character should not be a problem at all.

ETA: of course he may be just practising with a sword that happened to be at hand. The dwarfs were using bokken during their axe (combat) training. Or perhaps it is a twin to Hadafang... one for Arwen, the other for Tauriel?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 23 2012, 10:47pm)

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Jul 23 2012, 10:45pm

Post #171 of 366 (20495 views)
Shortcut
I think that's Tauriel's double [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 90% sure that is the same actress who does the leaping attack stunt earlier in the video, which leads me to think she is a stunt double - probably Tauriel's stunt double as facially she seems to have a bit of a similarity to E. Lilly, but I don't think it's Lilly.

Might be wrong though.

* crunch *

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 10:48pm

Post #172 of 366 (21364 views)
Shortcut
It is Lily [In reply to] Can't Post

https://plus.google.com/.../5768450921853142418

Can be no-one else Wink

And I might add, she looks lovely Tongue (not in that particular shot mind)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 23 2012, 10:53pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 23 2012, 10:49pm

Post #173 of 366 (21486 views)
Shortcut
Okay thanks for the recommendation [In reply to] Can't Post

... though between you and me, I'm rather looking forward to seeing him in Breaking Dawn, just ahead of the Hobbit release. Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 10:51pm

Post #174 of 366 (21092 views)
Shortcut
Like you say, there is no reason why it couldn't be Hadhafang. [In reply to] Can't Post

Giving it that backstory might be a bit complicated (not that it would need explaining on screen). I like the idea of your ETA though, SirDennisC.

There's already beater and biter, basher and nasher (I can't remember what Dwalin's are, as revealed at SDCC) ... how about ... Hadhafang and Hashabang?

By the sounds of it, your hoping Tauriel snuffs it?

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 23 2012, 10:53pm

Post #175 of 366 (21969 views)
Shortcut
The one-eyed dwarf could be Thrain... [In reply to] Can't Post

He lost an eye during the battle of Azanulbizar.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.