New Prod Blog
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 6:10pm

Post #51 of 366 (19417 views)
Shortcut
yeah was nice to see [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnt really have any worries about them not having the little coracle boat as it didnt even enter my mind that they might have him crawl along a wall or something.

When i first read your post i thought you meant you were worried it was going to be another type of boat, imagine gollum on a steam cruise boat, haha!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2012, 6:13pm

Post #52 of 366 (19575 views)
Shortcut
Stone Giant.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That, and all of the other fantastical elements (such as Beorn's house) that keep on popping up make this movie feel more like the classic fairytale it should be, though I'm still against many of the changes/inclusions. Either way, I'm really jazzed to see the post-production diaries!

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 23 2012, 6:13pm

Post #53 of 366 (19479 views)
Shortcut
More support for this being flashback material [In reply to] Can't Post

It also looks like he's carrying his dwarf-sword there rather than Orcrist. I have no idea whether the dwarf behind him is Connely, but it's certainly meant to be a "hero dwarf". Compare him to the cookie-cutter extras that surround them.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 23 2012, 6:14pm

Post #54 of 366 (19556 views)
Shortcut
Ninja fighting Elves and others ... [In reply to] Can't Post

although I'm not sure how faithful to Tolkien's Mirkwood Elves ... I must say they're bloody brilliant! Cool (at 4:34 )

Also, who are the Dwarves at 07:34? hmm I wonder ...

And could that be Dain with Thorin leading a company of Dwarves at Azanulbizar? (2:28) - a definitely younger Thorin and a one-eyed dwarf?

grinman
Rivendell

Jul 23 2012, 6:16pm

Post #55 of 366 (19519 views)
Shortcut
dwarf sword [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought about the sword being a factor, but if they follow the book, Thorin wouldn't have Orcrist at the Bo5A anyways...

I agree though, it's a flashback. I think that's the same warhammer we saw in the last vlog.. the gigantically oversized one that Richard Taylor was holding.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 6:18pm

Post #56 of 366 (19399 views)
Shortcut
Re-watched it - I see him now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like Dain to me Sly

Danielos
Rohan

Jul 23 2012, 6:18pm

Post #57 of 366 (19579 views)
Shortcut
Underwhelming [In reply to] Can't Post

The sets looked nice, but I was incredibly disappointed that we didn´t get more footage! That was what I was looking forward to... :(

Also, Stone Giants! Terrible idea as a literal creature! The only way I could stand them in the book was as a metaphor. :(

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 6:19pm

Post #58 of 366 (19160 views)
Shortcut
You make me laugh ;-D [In reply to] Can't Post

I have visions of Gollum water-skiing behind a speed boat Sly

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 6:21pm

Post #59 of 366 (19604 views)
Shortcut
Connely is supposed to have a mohawk [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It also looks like he's carrying his dwarf-sword there rather than Orcrist. I have no idea whether the dwarf behind him is Connely, but it's certainly meant to be a "hero dwarf". Compare him to the cookie-cutter extras that surround them.

Doesn't seem to be the case though?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 23 2012, 6:22pm)

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Jul 23 2012, 6:21pm

Post #60 of 366 (19276 views)
Shortcut
Ugh, can't watch it in work. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh well, only four hours to go.

Apexman13
Bree

Jul 23 2012, 6:30pm

Post #61 of 366 (19420 views)
Shortcut
we have been spoiled enough with footage [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a trailer coming in September as well.
as for the Stone giant, well I'm not sure how i feel about that quite yet. It depends on how it plays out on screen. There are many fantastical elements in this movie that seperate it from the more gritty world of the LOTR Trilogy.

grinman
Rivendell

Jul 23 2012, 6:36pm

Post #62 of 366 (19347 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not too sure how I feel about the Stone Giants being in. I like that they're being faithful to the book in lots of areas, but that was one area I couldn't have cared less about. I never liked the idea of the Stone Giants in the greater mythology of M.E. Oh well.. they're in. I'll still love the movies, I'm sure. Maybe it'll be like ol' Boromir... after the filmic version, I will have a much greater appreciation for Stone Giants and their motivations. Tongue

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 6:39pm

Post #63 of 366 (19427 views)
Shortcut
I've never imagined it either [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm actually kind of surprised to see it. I mean, isn't it all in ruins by the time Bilbo and company reach the lone mountain? So what exactly is being filmed there, I wonder?

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 6:40pm

Post #64 of 366 (19264 views)
Shortcut
Does it ever say that stone giants are made of in the hobbit or anywhere? [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought of them as being made of actual stone like they look from the tiny bit we see of one in the trailer. I always assumed they were giants who chucked stones about and lived in the mountains among the stone?

I dont mind a giant being a giant human of some kind. Gandalf said some were near enough decent or something to that effect so i always thought of them as a bit too big for their surroundings and can get up to evil things but are mostly not on anyones side and just kinda mess about.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 6:41pm

Post #65 of 366 (19455 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing that it's either... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dale re-built, or Dale before Smaug attacks Smile

We have seen pictures of Dale in ruins as well.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Post #66 of 366 (19319 views)
Shortcut
That's what I'm wondering too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it being used solely to be destroyed? or will we be privy to other scenes in Dale before Smaug ruins it?

imin
Valinor

Post #67 of 366 (19358 views)
Shortcut
The original destruction by Smaug maybe? (another flashback) [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is that what Dale looks like after Smaug has gone and the war is over, treasure has been divided and Dale rebuilt?

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 6:45pm

Post #68 of 366 (19404 views)
Shortcut
That shot was so classic [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt like I was watching a shot from Ten Commandments or King Kong. That's not exactly a good thing, since it looks like they're attempting to do some sort of visual effect trick, but we should all be able to stomach a bit of campiness every now and then. Though I am not surprised people are going heel turn on this. "Bring it closer to the book!" / "This element from the book sucks, don't do it." sort of thing.

Tigero
Rivendell

Jul 23 2012, 6:45pm

Post #69 of 366 (19204 views)
Shortcut
That hug of Ian and PJ... priceless [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't even imagine the thoughts running through their heads at that point. They have given so much to these films, they wouldn't want it to never end, but then it ends and this time for real. (?) (Well, there's still pickup shoot)

My greatest dream is to get to the film industry... some day.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 6:46pm

Post #70 of 366 (19335 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna say it's before Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Because what really needs to be shown of Dale after it's been rebuilt? It's gotta be for Smaug's attack.

Apexman13
Bree

Jul 23 2012, 6:48pm

Post #71 of 366 (19225 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure this will be the case [In reply to] Can't Post

In a recent interview Peter said we would see snippets of Smaug in the first movie. So I assume the Prologue of part 1 will deal with a flashback of Thorin and the other dwarves fleeing the lonely mountain and Dale being destroyed.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 6:48pm

Post #72 of 366 (19220 views)
Shortcut
It's gotta be pre-destruction [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't see why anyone would build all that just to show us what it looks like after all is said and done. More likely it is used to film Smaug's attack. It'll be sad and beautiful to see it all being ripped apart and burned down.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 6:50pm

Post #73 of 366 (19205 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

After camping out all night to see this Panel it was great to see some of that footage again. I am so excited for this movie I really can't express properly just how excited I am for it. I made sure to save this video to my Hobbit Vlog Collection.

Apexman13
Bree

Jul 23 2012, 6:51pm

Post #74 of 366 (19280 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

This giant might also give a reason for the dwarves to seek shelter in the Misty mountains, the same way that The watcher in the water drove the fellowship into the mines of Moria.

grinman
Rivendell

Jul 23 2012, 6:52pm

Post #75 of 366 (19165 views)
Shortcut
no "heel-turn" here! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a quote by me from a thread from almost a year ago:

"I'm fine with there being no large, rock-hurdling creatures in that scene. A thunderstorm high up in a mountain pass at night is about the scariest place in the world to be.. without adding a fantastical (and slightly over-the-top) element to it. It's basically a passing mention in the book and will probably get no mention except maybe in dialogue. For example: "Even the mountain is against us! It's as if giants are hurdling stones down on us to keep us from our quest!" (disclaimer; I am not an author, playwright or screenwriter). I think that would serve as a great nod to the book without needing to have cg creatures in the distance throwing rocks at eachother.

Although, I do have a cool vision in my head of enormous, dark silhouettes exposed when the lightning flashes. but only for brief glimpses."

Anyways, I agree about stomaching campiness in a PJ movie. It's something I can deal with, especially in the context of a more light-hearted look at M.E.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.