Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
a music question: round up the usual suspects...

dijomaja
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 11:30am

Post #1 of 6 (435 views)
Shortcut
a music question: round up the usual suspects... Can't Post

...although everybody's welcome.

It's interesting (to me, anyhow) that Howard Shore chose to end both the original soundtrack release and the LOTR Symphony with the piece that seems to represent the final journey across the Sea while the film and the Complete Recordings end with 'Elanor', the piece that plays when Sam returns home.

As our colleague Magpie has noted, Sam's return is, in some ways, our "return" as well. We need to be able to say, "Well, I'm back", because we have "more to be and to do". For me, at least, the music isn't "finished" until that piece is played.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 7:38pm

Post #2 of 6 (148 views)
Shortcut
Love the Elanor piece [In reply to] Can't Post

It gets me every time! It feels very final, but sweet and lovely.

dijomaja
Lorien

Jul 24 2012, 12:28am

Post #3 of 6 (121 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

...although I'll never be able to separate the music from its place in the story, I'm betting it would have caught my ear anyway. As it is, it's the perfect finish for the story.

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jul 26 2012, 12:28am

Post #4 of 6 (100 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't really thought of that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I should have. Excellent observation.

Regarding the Symphony, one thing I noticed early on is that the selection and merging of passages is very OST-centric, if that makes any sense. This is especially true in the later movements.

What I mean by that is that the composition of the Symphony has a strong tendency to follow the composition of tracks on the OST. By Movements Five and Six, there are near-exact representations of corresponding tracks from RotK OST, even though the specific bits of music jump all around within the chronology of the film.

I would love to know a little more about the artistic process of taking the raw material of film music and re-composing it into the OSTs, because I find so many of those tracks to be wonderful stand-alone pieces, even though they look chaotic when broken down as film cues. http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...sis/cbc_analysis.htm
I wonder how much HS controlled the process by the development of the LotR Symphony arrangement and how much was delegated.

Anyway, I agree with you that the musical story should end the way the film (and book) story ends. I guess I tend to think of "Into the West" as a kind of Appendices theme - a tail credits retrospective.

dijomaja
Lorien

Jul 26 2012, 11:06am

Post #5 of 6 (87 views)
Shortcut
true, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't realized that the Symphony and the OST were so close at other points. Doing some informed guessing, it seems that HS was left alone to do the OST so the selections would be pretty much the same when he went to do the Symphony.

More guessing: the story has to end with 'Elanor' and commercial considerations probably dictated that a Pop song had to run under the initial credits. As was discussed in a previous thread, we don't really know who's singing to whom on 'Into The West' but it sounds "final" and pushes Shore's 'Epilogue' past the point where lots of people have left the theater or switched off the DVD. Maybe he just wanted to give the piece its moment in the sun.

For me, though, the story still has to end with 'Elanor' and I think it's interesting psychologically. As magpie pointed out, the 'Epilogue' is "about" Frodo, et al. leaving Middle-earth; 'Elanor' is the musical equivalent of Sam's, "Well, I'm back."

Smaugly
The Shire

Jul 27 2012, 2:26pm

Post #6 of 6 (203 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actual tears every time I hear it! Man I'm soppy... Evil

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.