Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Theme from The Lord of the Rings Featured in 'Man of Steel' Teasers
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 21 2012, 2:45pm

Post #1 of 32 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Theme from The Lord of the Rings Featured in 'Man of Steel' Teasers Can't Post

For those attending viewings of 'The Dark Knight Rises' this weekend, you may find yourself listening to the end of Howard Shore's 'The Bridge of Khazad Dum' playing as part of the brand new 'Man of Steel' teasers. If you have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, you know (SPOILERS) that when Gandalf falls at the bridge, we have an amazingly emotional and dramatic score to accompany this significant event. I get chills just thinking of the scene. Now, for better or worse, that same theme is used to build emotion for the next attempt to revive the Superman franchise. How do you feel about it? Share your thoughts in the comments, our forum and on Facebook! If you somehow managed to go through the last 10 years without owning Howard Shore's award-winning score, we highly suggest you pick up today! (There are obviously many versions of the score to own, so browse around a bit) [LOTR:FOTR Score] [Kevin Costner Voiceover Teaser] [Russell Crowe Voiceover Teaser]

Gorbag
Rivendell

Jul 21 2012, 8:16pm

Post #2 of 32 (874 views)
Shortcut
Nice trailer, not a nice use of the music. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic trailer, but I really dislike them using such an emotionally hefty Lord of the Rings soundtrack piece in it.

Iím quite protective of the work of Howard Shore and the teamís music for LOTR. Especially this very moment of the The Bridge Of Khazad Dum piece and how it was used In the film.

To have such wonderfully crafted music that was made just for LOTR, pasted over something its not intended for greatly cheapens it to nothing more than a random blurb of music used for emotion.

I wonder if Shore or any of the LOTR team had any say in this?

"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."
ó J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 8:18pm

Post #3 of 32 (749 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if it is because I am familiar with the music, but I just didn't think the music went with the trailer Crazy

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 8:23pm

Post #4 of 32 (808 views)
Shortcut
Since people can be sued for using music without purchasing rights... [In reply to] Can't Post

it is all but certain that rights were purchased for the use of this music and it is all completely legal and above board.

See my post here on this same subject:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=469095#469095

that documents what music from other movies LOTR trailers have used.

It is very common.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

hutch
Rohan

Jul 21 2012, 8:32pm

Post #5 of 32 (1030 views)
Shortcut
It is very common... [In reply to] Can't Post

...still don't like it though. I almost threw my popcorn at the screen.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2012, 9:19pm

Post #6 of 32 (623 views)
Shortcut
me no likes it.... .... .... reasonably good trailer... but as others have said... Shore's composition use ? gahh.. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 32 (630 views)
Shortcut
Unless they are being very clever over this ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The majority of LOTR fans will recognise the music, and even perhaps other "non-fans". Perhaps they are trying to tap into our subconscious, and riding on the success of LOTR ... and coincidentally ... the release of TH ... Shocked ... shocking

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 21 2012, 9:28pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2012, 10:02pm

Post #8 of 32 (579 views)
Shortcut
I think it would be flattering to Howard Shore. [In reply to] Can't Post

His score for those films is amazing, and very emotionally packed.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Jeremy
Rivendell

Jul 21 2012, 11:10pm

Post #9 of 32 (581 views)
Shortcut
I guess it's common to use music from other films in the trailers [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship of the Ring trailers used music from other films as well.

rings7
Rohan

Jul 21 2012, 11:14pm

Post #10 of 32 (643 views)
Shortcut
It's unbelievable the amount of meaningless hatred this is getting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was delighted to hear the tune in the trailer! i don't get this bad hype. If they didn't like it, fine, but to say they shouldn't have done this is ridiculous. There's no code whatsover that says that the LOTR music should not be used in another trailer of a different film. To me it fits perfectly with Superman and im not ashame to say that i loved it.

(This post was edited by rings7 on Jul 21 2012, 11:15pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 11:17pm

Post #11 of 32 (609 views)
Shortcut
Bit strong? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think anyone has shown any hatred over the trailer?

rings7
Rohan

Jul 21 2012, 11:58pm

Post #12 of 32 (557 views)
Shortcut
Sorry i was referring to the comments on facebook. [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 22 2012, 12:35am

Post #13 of 32 (610 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit, in the last 10 years, I've been fairly tuned into the soundtrack fanbase... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the usage of trailer music from different sources.

And I have never run across any reaction from people indicating that music from a particular movie shouldn't be touched for trailer usage. It's just part of the industry and, my impression is, we were a bit thrilled to recognize music used in trailers and to see LOTR music used in other places: trailers included.

But then, it doesn't surprise me that fervor is happening on a place like Facebook (or any other sorts of sites). People love bandwagons, I think.

I have been closely following and studying the LOTR score for 10 years. People who aren't aware of my work can follow one of the links in my footer. I've admired Shore and was thrilled to finally meet him, especially after learning that he references my site and is happy with my work.

I do not find the use of LOTR music in trailers to be untoward or disrespectful. And I'm sure Shore got paid. :-)

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 22 2012, 2:27am

Post #14 of 32 (560 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a pretty good trailer, gets the tone across of the reboot. And I'm sure Shore is fine with it, if just because it would be fairly hypocritical as they used Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a Dream in the Two Towers trailer. Mind you, that was re-arranged and orchestrated by Shore (if I remember correctly, maybe it wasn't him personally), and fans kind of dumbed it "Requiem for a Tower" or some weird thing. This happens all the time, so long as it's tasteful, which I think it is.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 22 2012, 2:45am

Post #15 of 32 (613 views)
Shortcut
Requiem for a Tower was remixed by Simone Benyacar / Dan Nielsen / Veigar Mairgersson [In reply to] Can't Post

from Ant Farm.

So Shore had nothing to do with that.

He did work with these same people from Ant Farm to compose that dynamic remix of the Gondor Theme dubbed, "Epicalypse"

Requiem for a Tower seems to be an officially adopted name by now.
http://cornerstonecues.net/?page_id=204

more info on LOTR trailers here: http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...s/index_trailers.htm

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Jul 22 2012, 4:12am

Post #16 of 32 (502 views)
Shortcut
I like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not? I think it's tastefully done and as far as I know, it is quite a common practice to use music from a different source/movie in a trailer/clip. Didn't PJ use music from LOTR and other movies in his ComicCon clip? I think I remember someone mentioning The Last of the Mohicans theme in one of the reports. And if my memory serves me well some of the LOTR earlier trailers had borrowed music as well. So why are people getting so bend out of shape over this?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 22 2012, 4:35am

Post #17 of 32 (508 views)
Shortcut
Works for me, and frankly [In reply to] Can't Post

it raises my interest in seeing the movie from zero to "if I get a chance, I'll be there."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 22 2012, 9:04am

Post #18 of 32 (488 views)
Shortcut
Oh I see (sorry!) [In reply to] Can't Post

What kind of comments is it getting then?

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 22 2012, 10:07am

Post #19 of 32 (573 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure it's also complimenting to Shore.. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I figure that composers strive to be able to create scores that not only compliment a film, but can also stand on the merit of being listened to out of context (such as in this case, for an entirely different filmed). I don't really find how it's a negative that part of his score can elicit emotion without having to watch the whole film .. in fact, I would argue that's more insulting than anything. To put it in perspective, nobody's ever going to pull a cue from Alan Silvestri's The Avengers score for a trailer . .

Either way, I don't find it that terrible a use of music because: it fits the tone, it isn't an over used song and it's a small music cue. Frankly, despite having seen Fellowship more times than I can count, I had trouble placing the song until I happened to see it on TORN home page. Honestly though, there's nothing more groan inducing than Lux Aeterna being used again by anything (i.e., 30 million youtube videos).

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 22 2012, 10:08am

Post #20 of 32 (444 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for clearing that up. But, regardless of that fact, it's a complete 'par for the course' thing for composers. I'm sure Hans Zimmer will produce something spectacular anyway for the actual soundtrack (there's nothing worse than when the trailer has better music than the film..)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 22 2012, 10:41am

Post #21 of 32 (492 views)
Shortcut
I agree, Pulpfiction16 [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a trailer. And lot's of trailers use music from other movies; including the LOTR trailers.

And honestly, I was excited when I heard it. That piece of music always moves me. If you think about it, it's kind of saying that Howard Shore created a beautiful piece of music.

But most of all, and hopefully, I liked that it seems to be setting a sort of darker and sadder tone to this movie. I'm a bit bored with comic book movies that have to be "comical," no pun intended.

Yes they are based on comics and there are supernatural things that occur but that doesn't mean we can't have serious movies made out of them that are Oscar worthy. Afterall, LOTR had supernatural things happen in it and yet the story is serious. If we don't have more mature comic book movies like Nolan's trilogy, and hopefully this, then comic book movies will never be taken seriously.

I'm officially now excited for this movie. I wasn't really before seeing this teaser because I'm not a huge Snyder fan. Let's hope he does a good job.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 22 2012, 10:43am

Post #22 of 32 (499 views)
Shortcut
Haha I also agree about Lux Aeterna [In reply to] Can't Post

It was and is such a fantastic song but OH MY GOD it is SOOOOOOO overused.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 22 2012, 1:37pm

Post #23 of 32 (446 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

that Shore's soundtrack for LOTR was so unique and special, we sort of took it as :ours" and were very protective of it. At first it felt weird to hear LOTR music in trailers for other films. It's like not wanting your child to grow up, like facing the prospect of an empty nest. But like our children, great peices of music never remain ours--they, too, can move on.
I saw the "Costner voiceover" trailer at TDKR yesterday and it was very poignant. Surprise, first, then lump in throat. Esp in context of trailer. I hope we have seen the last of Batman for a while, a good long while. America at least I hope will have have said a fond farewell. I think, if I were a kid, I'd say we were ready for Superman again, (If I were a superhero fan, which normally I'm not.) The old-fashioned character. Can even a shadow of him be pulled back from the dead without laughter or disgust? We have to try at least. With Nolan producing, I wonder if they'll be willig to go dark . But I may not see that any way.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 22 2012, 3:48pm

Post #24 of 32 (473 views)
Shortcut
Doug blogs about this issue [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.musicoflotr.com/2012/07/well-super.html

I'll condense it down greatly to encourage you to visit and read at his site (you don't have to register to comment but you will have to sign in under one of a variety of profiles you might already have or under an unique user name you choose). Below are the areas he's touching on.

First, yes, this is indeed the music from Gandalf's fall in Fellowship [..]

Second, it is unlikely in the extreme that this music will actually show up in the final film. [..]

Third, it's actually common practice to use preexisting music in teaser trailers. [..]

So why is this causing such a stir? [..]

One might note there is no mention of anything illegal or unethical in the matter. And he is an ardent advocate for copyright issues and has addressed illegal/unethical things in the past.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 22 2012, 3:48pm)

rings7
Rohan

Jul 22 2012, 7:20pm

Post #25 of 32 (392 views)
Shortcut
All kinds [In reply to] Can't Post

like it's distastefull, disrespectful for Tolkien fans, it doesn't belong, Lotr music "should" be only for Lotr movies, Superman get your own music (lol), etc etc etc.

Really it's fun reading them, but annoying. I don't know where they get this untouchable feeling with Howard Shore's music. I thought it was cool to hear it there in that trailer. Superman's life is dramatic anyways and to me the tune fit.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.