Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A (short) interview with Hugo Weaving

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 4:57pm

Post #1 of 21 (2525 views)
Shortcut
A (short) interview with Hugo Weaving Can't Post

The following website interviewed Hugo Weaving recently on his most defining roles; one of which was Elrond.

http://www.avclub.com/...elrond-matrix,82705/

A snippet:

Well, tonally, I think the film [The Hobbit] is slightly different, but the experience didn’t seem radically different, to be honest. If anything, it was slightly more green-screen and slightly less set.

The LOTR/TH questions are only short, and don't contain anything we don't already know Smile

Enjoy!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 2:24am

Post #2 of 21 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Not sure about all this CG! // [In reply to] Can't Post

flowww
Bree

Jul 21 2012, 3:48am

Post #3 of 21 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope that the technology has advanced to the point, and that Peter's direction has enough of the human touch, to avoid the lifeless Star Wars Prequel effect.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 9:59am

Post #4 of 21 (1064 views)
Shortcut
10 years ago, LOTR had some of the best CGI I had ever seen [In reply to] Can't Post

With 10 years of development, I'm sure it will be excellent!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 12:12pm

Post #5 of 21 (1021 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it has too [In reply to] Can't Post

But if I could choose between real sets or more cgi, I'd of course choose the sets.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 12:15pm

Post #6 of 21 (1032 views)
Shortcut
I think the cgi of LotR is more comparable to the star wars prequels [In reply to] Can't Post

Than the hobbit's cgi will be. And LOTR's cgi was way more realistic than star wars even ten years ago, so I don't worry about that.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 12:17pm

Post #7 of 21 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Nothing will ever beat the feel of a set [In reply to] Can't Post

But because of the advances in filming technology (HD etc..) (cheap) sets may not look as good on screen than CGI.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 2:48pm

Post #8 of 21 (1011 views)
Shortcut
That's a great point [In reply to] Can't Post

And we have already seen, in the trailer, how sets can look very cheap in high res (the first shot of Dol Guldur, and the Rivendell set with Gandalf and Galadriel).

If CGI can create a more realistic effect, then I'm all for it.

Someone recently posted a short video showing off the CGI work on Games of Thrones. Can someone find and repost that?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 3:25pm

Post #9 of 21 (968 views)
Shortcut
Is this it? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...ring=Thrones;#468306

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 3:27pm

Post #10 of 21 (961 views)
Shortcut
Yup, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 3:41pm

Post #11 of 21 (968 views)
Shortcut
It certainly is impressive CGI! [In reply to] Can't Post

And as the OP said in the other forum, WETA can do it better!

It is a shame that "real" (rather than cheap) sets aren't made. That would be great, but it's just not financially viable.

I didn't think that scene with Gandriel looked particularly fake ... I'm most worried about Mirkwood (both the colour, and it looking like Fangorn...).

Finrod
Rohan

Jul 21 2012, 4:46pm

Post #12 of 21 (975 views)
Shortcut
"Real" "sets" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And as the OP said in the other forum, WETA can do it better!

It is a shame that "real" (rather than cheap) sets aren't made. That would be great, but it's just not financially viable.

The rebuilt Hobbiton set at Matamata is an example of a "real" set, made with real materials and meant to last. It was of course much more expensive that way. I've no doubt they hope to generate additional revenues through future site tourism to recoup that investment.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 4:53pm

Post #13 of 21 (950 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Hobbiton is the exception [In reply to] Can't Post

Dol Guldur made from real stone (not polystyrene) would look *amazing*. There's just no need for it though Frown

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 6:02pm

Post #14 of 21 (945 views)
Shortcut
Not sure why it is assumed that WETA can do better [In reply to] Can't Post

As the CGI in Game of Thrones is excellent...

I'm sure WETA will do an excellent job, as they did in LOTR, but I can't imagine the static structures being much better than what we see in GoT.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 6:27pm

Post #15 of 21 (943 views)
Shortcut
Basing it on the fact it is a TV show, with a much lower budget / [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 6:32pm

Post #16 of 21 (928 views)
Shortcut
Why no need for it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is it okay for Dol Guldur to look fake, while so much care and attention is paid to the Shire?

Sure, it would cost more to make a realistic Dol Guldur set. But doing it on the cheap is not a good option, IMO.

If that's the unfortunate reality of set-building, I'd rather they do the whole thing in CGI.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 6:37pm

Post #17 of 21 (947 views)
Shortcut
The Shire has only been made "real" for The Hobbit ... [In reply to] Can't Post

and that's for tourism, and not for the film. It was all "fake" for the trilogy.

They couldn't make every set from real materials. It would be massively expensive. And what are people going to see ... a dark, run down fortress ... or the Shire?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 9:09pm

Post #18 of 21 (917 views)
Shortcut
I don't mean fully real [In reply to] Can't Post

I just mean with higher-quality materials, etc...

The Dol Guldur set looks like some cheaply-painted and sculprted polysterene, IMO... Ruins simply do not look like that.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 9:14pm

Post #19 of 21 (908 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

So not real stone, but something better than polystyrene? I'd agree to that Smile

artemy
Lorien

Jul 21 2012, 9:25pm

Post #20 of 21 (910 views)
Shortcut
Then can you suggest a better material for the job? [In reply to] Can't Post

Something imin said a while ago springs to mind. We're none of us here the ones responsible for building these sets, or rendering the CGI.

When it's time to pray, we'll be dressed up all in grey, with metal on our tongues, and silver in our lungs

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 9:31pm

Post #21 of 21 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Polysterene could do the trick [In reply to] Can't Post

The real trick is getting the sculpting, painting, lighting and design right. In some of those shots, the stonework seems to have a rather one-note color to it, and not a lot of stone-like texture. I don't know what it is exactly, but it simply does not look very realistic.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.