Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
at last, I have a mathom for TORn!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 25 2007, 4:15pm

Views: 307
Shortcut
at last, I have a mathom for TORn! Can't Post

Sharing as I do this birthday with Mr Astin, I'm offering up a mathom to you all! I must have had four or five birthdays since I started posting at TORn, but have never felt that I had a suitable mathom - until now! Hope you all like it! Smile (Mods, please move this if it should be OT - but the mathom is Tolkien related!) I hope the post isn't too big!

When I was about six I was a HUGE fan of the Rankin Bass Hobbit. (My Dad had read the book to me about a year earlier.) I hadn't seen the film - we were living in the Middle East at the time and the film hadn't reached there! - but my brother had an LP of it, together with a read along book with cartoon pictures. I LOVED it! I read it and listened over and over again.

Last summer when I was at home, my Mum told me she found an old sketch book of mine. There on the pages, amongst pieces of work done for school, I found the following testaments to my early geeky obsession!

Please note the smoke rings behind his right shoulder! If you could see the entire picture you would see his trusty pipe in hand! Brilliant artistry, right?! As Gimli would say, 'And after that, it gets even better!' Not only had I attempted to copy the cartoon images, I'd also drawn my own view of the Battle of Five Armies! Behold the wonder!

And...

Unfortunately(?!) you can't see the whole thing here - the pages were too big to fit entirely on L.Ron's scanner - but you get the idea! Such amazing attention to detail!! Wink John Howe and Alan Lee, eat your hearts out!! Actually I was quite surprised at just how well I knew the story - there are dwarves, elves, wolves, eagles, men, goblins and even the orc allies, the bats! (No sign of Beorn in bear form...) OK so the eagle looks more like a seagull ('The seagulls! The seagulls are coming!') but please note that the elf fighting a goblin bottom right, below the eagle, has black on the tip of his sword - all the goblins in the picture are bleeding black blood! Not sure what the yellow stuff coming out of the dwarves is, though...Crazy

Anyhoo - it amused me greatly to find evidence of my early passion for Tolkien! I thought it might amuse you all too - perhaps I should let NL know that if they need a conceptual artist for 'The Hobbit', I'm clearly the person they need to hire!! Sly

Enjoy the oscars tonight, everyone! Cheers!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Subject User Time
at last, I have a mathom for TORn! greendragon Send a private message to greendragon Feb 25 2007, 4:15pm
    Happy Birthday, greendragon entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Feb 25 2007, 4:19pm
    Happiest of Birthdays to you greendragon! deej Send a private message to deej Feb 25 2007, 4:19pm
    this is wonderful! Annael Send a private message to Annael Feb 25 2007, 5:08pm
    *smiling with glee!!* Happy Birthday, greendragon!! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 25 2007, 5:15pm
    Here are links to the full-res versions: L. Ron Halfelven Send a private message to L. Ron Halfelven Feb 25 2007, 5:23pm
    These are great. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 25 2007, 5:34pm
        thank you for the advice! greendragon Send a private message to greendragon Feb 25 2007, 6:58pm
        That's what I ended up doing with the battle picture. L. Ron Halfelven Send a private message to L. Ron Halfelven Feb 25 2007, 7:48pm
    Wow! Many Happy Returns, greendragon! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 25 2007, 6:30pm
        The furry feet are there in the original! greendragon Send a private message to greendragon Feb 25 2007, 6:47pm
    Happy, happy Birthday, GD!!! Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Feb 25 2007, 6:55pm
    Those are amazing! Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Feb 25 2007, 7:55pm
    Those are real and worthy mathoms. But should we wish you a happy birthday, or should you wish us one? Curious Send a private message to Curious Feb 25 2007, 8:43pm
    Happy happy birthday! Aerlinn Send a private message to Aerlinn Feb 25 2007, 8:44pm
        I think my Star Wars obsession began even before my Hobbit one... greendragon Send a private message to greendragon Feb 26 2007, 12:08am
    Happy Birthday! Stapper Send a private message to Stapper Feb 25 2007, 8:47pm
    The best of birthdays to you! Wynnie Send a private message to Wynnie Feb 25 2007, 9:12pm
    HBDay :) And congratulations Timbo_mbadil Send a private message to Timbo_mbadil Feb 25 2007, 9:29pm
    Happy Bithday / Foe Send a private message to Foe Feb 25 2007, 9:29pm
    What a wonderful treasure Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Feb 25 2007, 9:46pm
    Happy Birthday to you Penthe Send a private message to Penthe Feb 25 2007, 10:59pm
    that's the "cry of the tourist!" a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Feb 25 2007, 11:05pm
    Happy Birthday greendragon! silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Feb 25 2007, 11:57pm
    Ha! hot water nobility Send a private message to hot water nobility Feb 26 2007, 12:39am
    Happy b-day, greendragon!... diedye Send a private message to diedye Feb 26 2007, 4:11am
    Priceless! Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Feb 26 2007, 4:34am
    A (belated) very happy birthday to you, gd! Ginger Send a private message to Ginger Feb 26 2007, 3:19pm
    I notice linkin-artelf Send a private message to linkin-artelf Feb 26 2007, 4:35pm
    *beholding the wonder!* AlassŽa Eruvande Send a private message to AlassŽa Eruvande Feb 26 2007, 5:47pm
    hope your birthday was good! Ciars Send a private message to Ciars Feb 26 2007, 7:06pm
        lol - my secret's out!! greendragon Send a private message to greendragon Feb 26 2007, 8:31pm
    Wow! Such artistry! Meliana Send a private message to Meliana Feb 26 2007, 8:54pm
    What a riot! Lossefalme Send a private message to Lossefalme Feb 27 2007, 6:00am
    I wish I could draw like that. GaladrielTX Send a private message to GaladrielTX Feb 27 2007, 1:35pm
    Awww White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Feb 27 2007, 2:56pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.