Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
bathroom break moments in LOTR
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 20 2012, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 38 (830 views)
Shortcut
bathroom break moments in LOTR Can't Post

I just read a response Magpie wrote to one of the SCODs, referencing a scene in which she always went to the bathroom.

I had moments like that too; after all, it's hard to make it through a 3-hour movie without needing the loo, and you can't exactly hit "pause" in the theater. After seeing each LOTR film once, I knew the moments where I wouldn't miss as much if I dashed out, and I would schedule bathroom stops accordingly. The problem is, I can't remember what any of them were, except the scene in FOTR right after the fellowship heads out, when Boromir's teaching the Hobbits to fight and Gimli's suggesting they go through the mines of Moria. Also, I think that after I'd seen a few times, I'd slip out during the dream sequence with Aragorn and Arwen in TTT, getting back in time for Aragorn's triumphal entry at Helm's Deep.

What are other people's "bathroom break" moments?

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 7:52pm

Post #2 of 38 (337 views)
Shortcut
Good bladder control! [In reply to] Can't Post

I rarely need to go during a film - the only time I remember going was during The Phantom Menace. If I knew how rubbish the rest of it was, I would have stayed in the there! Laugh

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 20 2012, 7:57pm

Post #3 of 38 (302 views)
Shortcut
HA! [In reply to] Can't Post

You and me both, DanielLB! Although to be fair, I think the first time I saw *Phantom Menace,* I actually thought it was pretty good. It was only on subsequent viewings that I realized it wasn't. And it has not aged well!

I envy your control, though. I had this whole ritual for LOTR viewings, where I would drink and drink and DRINK water in the hours leading up to a movie viewing to get myself good and hydrated. I'd then stop drinking cold turkey an hour and 15 minutes before, and have nothing to drink during the film. I always needed to leave at least once, and rarely made it through without a second trip.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 8:07pm

Post #4 of 38 (278 views)
Shortcut
If I am watching them at home it is a lot different though [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll quite happily sit in the cinema for 3 hours without moving, but at home there are too many distractions. That's when it becomes tactical!

There's a scene in ROTK that I'll miss if something needs to be done. It's when Gollum/Smeagol are sat by the River discussing their plan, while Sam and Frodo are asleep. No particular reason, just that I like the scenes either side Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 8:12pm

Post #5 of 38 (290 views)
Shortcut
Age will change you [In reply to] Can't Post

It just changes women at a younger age than it does men.

The super gulp mega drinks don't help. But I've stopped buying those long ago.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 8:22pm

Post #6 of 38 (297 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I remember where I took a break for TTT and ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

I think, for TTT, it was somewhere while the Rohirrim are on their way to Helm's Deep. I seem to remember being a bit bored by something kind of romantic! :-)

For ROTK, it was probably during some battle scene taking place in Minas Tirith.

To be honest, I also found short scenes during which I napped. It was a long movie. The room was dark. I went a lot during quiet matinees. So it was easy to fall asleep. I started letting myself nap during certain scenes that didn't have any 'can't miss moments' in it and were followed by something more dynamic and noisy. I'd nap for a few minutes and the noisier scene would wake me up.

I've had people gasp when I told them that but there's nothing better than napping to familiar sounds whether it be music, a movie, a commentary, or a baseball game on the radio. :-)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2012, 10:30pm

Post #7 of 38 (264 views)
Shortcut
Beginning and End. nuff said :P [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkWink. If it's the EE, then when you switch to disc 2

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

I thirst for Khuzdűl! Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to LP)

imin
Valinor

Jul 20 2012, 11:19pm

Post #8 of 38 (277 views)
Shortcut
At the cinema there was a break when the fellowship departed from Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

Its the only time i have ever been to a movie with a break, both TTT and ROTK had none which left me a bit surprised as i was gonna take the break, but nevertheless i pushed on through the film, lol.

I think i have only once been for a break during a film at the cinema. Was for Hellboy 2 which i didnt really get into anyway.

At home if there are any distractions or anything i just use the pause button so i miss none Tongue

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 12:02am

Post #9 of 38 (299 views)
Shortcut
I saw a theatrical re-release of Lawrence of Arabia in 1989 [In reply to] Can't Post

on one of the few Cinerama theaters in the country: The Cooper Theater in St. Louis Park - since demolished.

That had an intermission.

It was 216 minutes long (plus overture, intermission, and exit music).

In the women's bathrooms at the Cooper, each stall had its own sink.

btw: LoA was fan-frickin-tastic. Blew me away.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 21 2012, 1:07am

Post #10 of 38 (306 views)
Shortcut
Catheter [In reply to] Can't Post

Only NARF's don't self catheterize LOL

But seriously small drinks and big salty popcorns keep me in my seat ...

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2012, 2:00am

Post #11 of 38 (242 views)
Shortcut
I can't remember for FOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

but for TTT, it was the warg battle, and for ROTK it was Frodo sending Sam home.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2012, 5:20am

Post #12 of 38 (242 views)
Shortcut
Haha! I thought about asking this question after reading Magpie's post, too [In reply to] Can't Post

For FOTR, it varied; there aren't any moments in the middle of the film that I don't care for that are long enough for a break.

For TTT, it was usually during the warg attack, but sometimes during one of the Treebeard scenes. (Sorry, Treebeard Unimpressed)

For ROTK, usually while Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were dealing with the Army of the Dead. I did not like them. It seemed as if PJ didn't know how to handle them and just gave up, saying, "Meh, that'll have to due." The EE only made it worse.

(Mind you, these breaks were simply to powder my nose. Wink)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2012, 7:05am

Post #13 of 38 (274 views)
Shortcut
And the air conditioning... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I don't know why they make cinema halls feel like the Arctic. I'm almost always shivering in there and wanting to, ahem, "pass water" Blush

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 9:46am

Post #14 of 38 (244 views)
Shortcut
I wish! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose cinemas in India need air-con? In the UK, I always find cinemas far too hot!

imin
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 11:57am

Post #15 of 38 (236 views)
Shortcut
Boiling hot in UK [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wish they had air con just so i dont pass out, lol

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 3:01pm

Post #16 of 38 (223 views)
Shortcut
My favortite move of all-time [In reply to] Can't Post

Great minds! Smile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 3:15pm

Post #17 of 38 (245 views)
Shortcut
Too many [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, so, bathroom breaks (now known as fast-forwards):

FOTR: Weathertop (wost scene in all three films), Arwen's arrival through all of the Rivendell scenes, most of Lorien (starting with entry into Caras Galadhon - I like the flet scene at night - until the gift-giving - which is good). The bits along the Anduin when the camera is inexplicably flying past the Fellowship at full speed.

TTT: Mostly in the second half of the film. All of the Treebeard sequences, until the final attack (just poorly done overall, and Dominic and Billy are awfully annoying and OTT as actors), honestly, most of Helm's Deep which bores me to tears, the entire Osgiliath sequence.

ROTK: The re-conquest of Osgiliath, the entire Paths of the Dead sequence (the fact that PJ extended this in the EE shows me what bad taste he has sometimes), the Pelennor scenes once the dead army arrives, the hobbit flopping around on Frodo's bed in Minas Tirith and everyone creepily laughing in slo-motion, and the Grey Havens (a potentially beautiful and fresh scene by the ocean, turned into a sugary slo-mo hug-fest in some strange gingerbread land by an airbrushed harbor by Thomas Kincaid).

Overall, I think I fast-forward through almost half of the films...

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 3:23pm

Post #18 of 38 (296 views)
Shortcut
I've never laughed so much reading a post on here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the hobbit flopping around on Frodo's bed in Minas Tirith and everyone creepily laughing in slo-motion

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 3:26pm

Post #19 of 38 (282 views)
Shortcut
The only other movie to affect me instantly in such a profound way was... [In reply to] Can't Post

2001: A Space Odyssey - which I also saw in the theaters when it first came out.

It was another 'old' theater - The Bijou in Battle Creek. It wasn't old then, of course, but it had a balcony, a lovely lobby, and a long hall to the door with velvet ropes.

I was so stunned by the movie I emerged from the dark theater into the bright sunlight of the afternoon and could simply not get my bearings. My mother was yapping at me (she had driven us downtown to see the movie and was then picking us up) and I couldn't make any sense of what she was saying.

I have loved other movies - but my love and affection grew for them over time.

I did have an extreme reaction to Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet. Remember that long hall with the velvet ropes I talked about? Well, I was bawling very, very hard at the end of R&J. What can I say? I was 16. But literally, snot was running down my nose I was bawling so hard. And I couldn't stop. I had to walk out that long hall with all the people waiting to get in on the other side of the rope... and they all looked at me like I was nuts.

I contend that movies don't hit us in the same way at home on the tv... no matter how large that sucker is. To be in a dark theater with that large screen and sound that fills up the room. It immerses you in ways that a tv screen and our familiar couch cannot.

It's too bad when the seats in theaters are uncomfortable or people talk or text. But I'd still take a theater over a tv for most movies any day. The only drawback for me now is... I really need closed captions to get all the dialog. And if the movie is very talky... where I need to hear the dialog to get the plot, I'm better off with a dvd.

edit to add: I had the wikipedia page for R&J up to check the date of release and before closing it, found this:

Thom Yorke cites the film as one of the inspirations for the Radiohead song "Exit Music (For a Film)", which was written specifically for the ending credits of the 1996 film William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. Said Yorke, "I saw the Zeffirelli version when I was 13, and I cried my eyes out, because I couldn't understand why the morning after they shagged, they didn't just run away. The song is written for two people who should run away before all the bad stuff starts. A personal song".

glad to know I'm not the only one.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 21 2012, 3:32pm)

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 21 2012, 6:27pm

Post #20 of 38 (196 views)
Shortcut
long movies in Germany have breaks [In reply to] Can't Post

The year I lived in Germany, I went to several long movies in the theater. All of them (including ROTK) had intermissions, sometimes at unbelievably random and inappropriate moments. I particularly remember the moment in *Troy*--somebody important had just gotten killed, and they were showing shots of Achilles looking troubled and Agamemnon looking horrified, and all of a sudden, the screen went black! All the teenage girls got up, giggling, and I looked over at the guy down the row from me, the only other person in the theater who looked older than 20. He pulled out a brief case, opened it up, and removed a bottle of wine and wine glasses! He smiled at me as he poured himself a drink. It was another thing that would never happen at a movie theater in the States, but also maybe not such a bad idea, particularly if you are stuck watching a movie like *Troy.*

But anyway, I think intermissions are a great idea for long movies, although it might be nice to have the timing make at least SOME sense.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 9:17pm

Post #21 of 38 (211 views)
Shortcut
I am dumbfounded [In reply to] Can't Post

My ten favorite films of all-time are as follows:

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey

3. Tree of Life
4. Ran (Kurosawa)
5. Star Wars: ESB
6. Children of Men
7. Apocalypse Now
8. There Will Be Blood
9. Thin Red Line
10. Godfather Part II

Again, great minds! Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 10:54pm

Post #22 of 38 (187 views)
Shortcut
I like Children of Men quite a lot, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the others, I don't think I've seen any but the Godfather movies - which didn't appeal to me - and Star Wars which I liked well enough as a pop culture movie but didn't hit me like they did other people.

Actually, I think I saw Apocalypse Now but it made no impression on me whatsover.

That's not a list you'd find many women making. :-)

And, I don't own either of those top two. The movies I watch over and over may not have impacted me in the same way, but they grow under my skin and become warm, favorites.

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Jul 22 2012, 1:00am

Post #23 of 38 (201 views)
Shortcut
LoA: My first movie with an intermission and still my favorite movie of all time [In reply to] Can't Post

Lawrence of Arabia finally made it to my little hometown around 1963 when I was 9 y.o. going on 10. My mother took me to see it. I loved the movie and still do (prompted me to read T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom when I was in high school). While my classmates were swooning over Paul, John, Ringo, and George, I thought Mr. O'Toole was the bees' knees.*

It was during LoA that I discovered I needed glasses when I commented to my mother that "Intermission" was blurry. At any rate, LoA has withstood the test of time. I periodically listen to the marvelous soundtrack, too!

Back on topic, I managed to make it all the way through each of the theatrical releases of the cinematic trilogy at the Harvard Square sinny w/o requiring a bio-break, but I was younger then. Now, there's this new-fangled bit of technology called the pause button. Also the fast-forward for scenes that just don't work for me.

*I think Peter O'Toole (his younger self, that is) might be cast nicely as Finrod Felagund. ;)

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Jul 22 2012, 1:08am

Post #24 of 38 (187 views)
Shortcut
It was another Kubrick film that affected me profoundly. [In reply to] Can't Post

A Clockwork Orange. Like LoA, A Clockwork Orange has stuck with me for a lonnnnnng time. I walked out of the theater disoriented because of the mental gymnastics the film prompted. Truly a movie that made me Think™. I devoured Burgess' novel shortly after I saw the film in 1972 (my first "adult" film). Heck, I still drop a bit of Nadsat into my speech.

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by Tweezers of Thu on Jul 22 2012, 1:10am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2012, 4:10am

Post #25 of 38 (219 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely *not* a good use of slow motion in this case [In reply to] Can't Post

the hobbit flopping around on Frodo's bed in Minas Tirith and everyone creepily laughing in slo-motion,

We've disagreed on other scenes where slow motion was used, but I wholeheartedly agree with you here! Even the brilliant Sir Ian's performance is made ridiculous. He looks like a graduate of The Merry Men School of Laughter.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.