Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Boromir or Thorin?
Poll: Boromir or Thorin?
Boromir
Thorin
Can't decide. Like/dislike them both equally much.
View Results (35 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 20 2012, 1:10am

Post #1 of 7 (535 views)
Shortcut
Boromir or Thorin? Can't Post

Vote!

I cannot decide, to be honest. I love them both. But now when I think about it, book-Boromir is very dull compared to movie-Boromir, so I'll have to go with my favourite dwarf Thorin. Despite how greedy he is sometimes, he has heart and do truly like Bilbo beneath the surface.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 6:48am

Post #2 of 7 (212 views)
Shortcut
I think Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

has a much greater personal journey during their [the dwarves] Quest, than Boromir does. Boromir was, however, an important part of the Fellowship. It just takes more time to understand and sympathise with the character, especially by the end of FOTR. There are many similarities between the two as well - they both die from their misdeeds.

It's too hard to choose Wink

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 20 2012, 6:28pm

Post #3 of 7 (176 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to seeing movie Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that way, I can compare movie Boromir and movie Thorin, and book Boromir and book Thorin.

Comparing the two in the books, I don't really like either all that much. But I suspect PJ and co. will have me caring about Thorin before he gets offed.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 21 2012, 12:36am

Post #4 of 7 (147 views)
Shortcut
Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

The pressures Boromir dealt with were about keeping his father appeased and protecting his people which made him more succeptable to the Ring's lure. In his mind he sees the definite possibilty of the demise of his people, and sees himself as all that stands in the way of sauron and his minions. He fights to the death to protect Merry and Pippin and atones for his sin/fault. He doesn't fully realize til his death that Aragorn's and his purpose are the same.

He's not a bad or evil guy, but I like Balin better.
Thorin is doing OK in life and takes the quest out of greed and for personal honor/revenge, he doesn't have to do it.

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 11:12pm

Post #5 of 7 (142 views)
Shortcut
Thorin. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's arrogant sometimes and greedy, and responsible for his own end, but I love him. If it weren't for him (and Gandalf, of course!), Bilbo would never have had any adventures. Can't wait for movie!Thorin.

Boromir's always made me nervous in both the book and the films. I'm not sure why. His thinking makes sense within his frame of reference, and he's under pressure from his father; his fall is understandable. Maybe it's because he shows up in Rivendell coincidentally in the book -he wasn't invited; he comes looking for aid. Maybe it's because he keeps his thoughts to himself more than Thorin does. Maybe it's because we never get the chance to see him in action as a real leader of Men.

They're both very similar in terms of being basically good characters with tragic flaws who are redeemed in the end, but Thorin seems more likeable somehow.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Aug 12 2012, 1:46am

Post #6 of 7 (104 views)
Shortcut
Like you, macfalk... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it were movie-Boromir it would be a VERY tight call as this is one area I can unreservedly give credit to Peter, Fran, and Philippa for truly bringing forth something I didn't read but was DEFINITELY there from the book and made it so bittersweet that 11 years later I'm STILL crying when Boromir dies in the film.
But taking only the books into account (which is only fair since we have yet to see Thorin on screen except in the Rankin-Bass version) then yes, Thorin Oakenshield gets the nod for the depth of his character and the believability with which Tolkien gets us to accept dwarves as a living,breathing, race of substance and philosophy.

Misto
Lorien

Aug 14 2012, 1:48pm

Post #7 of 7 (234 views)
Shortcut
Thorin, most decidedly [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't get Boromir at all. The book Boromir seems rather boring and the movie Boromir is just a stuck-up side kick, in my opinion.
I'll vote for ThorinWink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.