Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dragon sickness?

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 19 2012, 11:21pm

Post #1 of 6 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Dragon sickness? Can't Post

The thread about the Master of Laketown and his assistant got me thinking, what exactly is dragon sickness?

Is it lust for the treasure?
Is it an actual physical ailment or disease?
Is it a psychological ailment?

I am not really sure myself what it is to be honest.
Will PJ incorporate it into the film and if so how?

Opinions?
Please discuss I'm all ears ...

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 20 2012, 1:57am

Post #2 of 6 (367 views)
Shortcut
Seems to incite greed, material desire, pride, mostly... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope if it makes an appearance, it is done very, very subtly.

Honestly, knowing PJ's tendency to overstate everything, I would rather they remove any reference to it at all. Simply have the various factions lust after their share of the Lonely Mountain pie, and leave it at that.

Don't want any obvious Ring-esque "sickness" working on the actors, or anything.

Alternatively, PJ could visualize it in the form of green scrubbing bubbles. Wink

Elpidha
Bree

Jul 20 2012, 2:00am

Post #3 of 6 (336 views)
Shortcut
Wonder which of the two extremes it'll be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...overdone (like the Ring's pull) or missing completely (like any explanation of the Black Breath)?

Seriously, though, you do raise a good question, and one that I hope others can shed more light on. Now let's just hope that the dragon-sickness wasn't what fueled these thoughts of a 3rd film. ;)

The last green had almost faded out of the grass, when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream. "Hrnmm! It smells like elves!" thought Bilbo, and he looked up at the stars. They were burning bright and blue.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 7:06am

Post #4 of 6 (280 views)
Shortcut
It depends how we find out about the Master's fate [In reply to] Can't Post

If we *see* what happens to him, I wouldn't be surprised if they just show him going a bit loopy (similar to film Denethor). If Gandalf/Balin *explain* what happens, then "dragon sickness" could easily be slotted in.

Elpidha
Bree

Jul 20 2012, 8:29am

Post #5 of 6 (254 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

And it seems more likely that we'll be shown rather than told, so... goodness, gracious, great Denethors of fire.

The last green had almost faded out of the grass, when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream. "Hrnmm! It smells like elves!" thought Bilbo, and he looked up at the stars. They were burning bright and blue.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 7:39pm

Post #6 of 6 (491 views)
Shortcut
I think that it would generally be considered to be a 'curse' [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't call 'dragon-sickness' a physical ailment; a dragon seems to imbue the condiition directly onto its hoard through long contact with it. Some characters seem to resist it fairly easily (Dain, of all people) whlle others are particularly prone to it (Thorin and the Master of Lake-town, in particular). Bilbo gets a taste of the dragon-sickness as evidenced when he pockets the Arkenstone; that he ultimately resists it is shown when he gives the stone to Bard to use as a bargaining chip. The Elvenking, while originally described as being on the greedy side, proves to be surprisingly resistant to the dragon-sickness, stating his reluctance to start a war over mere gold. Bard demands no more than his fair due as Dragon-slayer as well as fair compensation to the folk of Lake-town for their losses and their assistance to the company.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.