Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
PJ Invented Characters
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 19 2012, 9:42pm

Post #1 of 29 (919 views)
Shortcut
PJ Invented Characters Can't Post

Inventing new non-Tolkien characters is done frequently in PJ's Middle-Earth, but I'm curious to know which ones were the most well received of them. These "invented" characters in LOTR varied from notable additions such as Lurtz or Sharku to smaller ones such as Haleth son of Hama. Which did you like the best?
My personal favourite was Madril (the grey-haired ranger who is Faramir's lieutenant), as he acted like a father figure towards Faramir, perhaps to emphasise the fact that Faramir's real father could not fill this role (at least in the normal manner). His death in RotK upset me when I first watched it, though even now I don't really understand why.

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 20 2012, 1:02am

Post #2 of 29 (439 views)
Shortcut
I like Madril too [In reply to] Can't Post

He was cool.
I'm not usually for invented characters, but in this case, some of the ones that appeared in the film adaptations of Lord of the Rings were good. Madril was like a father figure to Faramir, and was also like second-in-command. Haleth gave Aragorn the oppurtunity to give the "There's always hope speech". I forget which one was Lurtz and Sharku though. Which orcs were they?

"It's okay, I feel like getting up and screaming every time you walk into a room." -Lestrade, Sherlock S2,ep3.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 20 2012, 2:50am

Post #3 of 29 (418 views)
Shortcut
Lurtz was the big bad Uruk in FOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

..the one that kills Boromir.

I agree with you about Haleth, too! That's such a pivotal scene, the whole film really builds to and from that moment. As far as invented scenes go, it was one of the most inspired ones they came up with in my book...

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 20 2012, 3:36am

Post #4 of 29 (420 views)
Shortcut
They all worked pretty well for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurtz, Madrill and Haleth are all pretty memorable as characters to me, even though they were not really fully developed. I would add Eldarion (Arwen's son) to the list -- that one look that kid gives really gets me every time. The "featured" orcs and uruks (aside from Lurtz) were great at delivering their few lines...and dying on cue!

They did better with these characters, for me, than they did with say the"real" characters, like the Lord of the Nazgul (who comes across as pretty cardboard to me) or Hama and Gamling. The most 'cardboard" invented guy to me was Gothmog, but I understand why they came up with him. And even he has his moments..like when he rides in on that warg!

It's interesting to me that I felt worse about Madrill dying than Hama -- I guess because we got to see the relationship of Madrill to Faramir more. Gamling is great in the "Where is the Horse and the Rider" scene with Theoden, though!

And now you have me thinking about another category -- "enhanced characters" -- book characters that got more attention in the films than they did in the books; Arwen and Haldir for sure, but I'd put even Elrond and Theoden in those categories.

All in all, I think they did job with characterization, even minor roles, and that helped to make the story more accessible, I think -- which is pretty good, given the number of action scenes and special effects.

Thanks for the post and allowing me to ramble on here! You got me thinking!

Weaver

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2012, 4:55am

Post #5 of 29 (410 views)
Shortcut
Haleth [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene between Haleth and Aragorn was moving and real. You could see that his meeting with Haleth really focused Aragorn's resolve. It's small character building scenes like this one (one of my favorite) that make me forgive PJ for some of the over-the-top bits that I find annoying.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 20 2012, 10:15am

Post #6 of 29 (407 views)
Shortcut
I agree about Eldarion [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that scene was both creepy and emotionally powerful at the same time.

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 20 2012, 3:11pm

Post #7 of 29 (387 views)
Shortcut
I like Madril [In reply to] Can't Post

And the Mumak driver that gets impaled by Eomer.

I find the scene with Haleth unbearably sugary and melodramatic, and am supremely annoyed by that kid's acting. IMO, of course! Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 20 2012, 3:42pm

Post #8 of 29 (399 views)
Shortcut
The Mumak driver ... that's an odd one to choose ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And the Mumak driver that gets impaled by Eomer.

I find the scene with Haleth unbearably sugary and melodramatic, and am supremely annoyed by that kid's acting. IMO, of course! Smile

Asger
Bree

Jul 20 2012, 6:27pm

Post #9 of 29 (343 views)
Shortcut
My fav invented orc [In reply to] Can't Post

is the one looking like Schwarzenegger in the Tower of Cirith Ungol. Anyone who knows if he's got a name? Maybe he could be Shagrat or Gorbag?

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 20 2012, 6:35pm

Post #10 of 29 (364 views)
Shortcut
Both Gorbag and Shagrat were in the books [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're referring to Shagrat, as he is an Uruk.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 20 2012, 6:52pm

Post #11 of 29 (346 views)
Shortcut
Not sure why [In reply to] Can't Post

There's something very affecting about that guy. Like Xerxes riding in to crush the Greeks, or something.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 20 2012, 6:55pm

Post #12 of 29 (394 views)
Shortcut
Eldarion was not invented for the film(s)... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I would add Eldarion (Arwen's son) to the list -- that one look that kid gives really gets me every time.

Eldarion comes from Tolkien, not from Jackson, Boyens or Walsh. By giving him a role in the film, though, Jackson may have made him into one of your 'enhanced characters'.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2012, 8:10pm

Post #13 of 29 (324 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, he's just cool looking. [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, he's a man who clearly loves his job. Well, right up until the last bit.... Tongue

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 21 2012, 2:35am

Post #14 of 29 (332 views)
Shortcut
Lurtz the big Uruk [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I remember him now. he was that nasty Uruk that killed Boromir and then fought Aragorn. See forget some of the Uruks have names. And yes, that scene with Haleth is pivotal.

"It's okay, I feel like getting up and screaming every time you walk into a room." -Lestrade, Sherlock S2,ep3.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 21 2012, 5:07am

Post #15 of 29 (293 views)
Shortcut
thanks for that catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, the kid was in the Tale...but since we don't know a thing about him from the books, other than his name, anything they did with him was pure invention in my book...but I say two points for you, one lame excuse from me!Smile

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 21 2012, 5:12am

Post #16 of 29 (314 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could find his job application... [In reply to] Can't Post

We did a thread years ago which was something like "job applications in Middle Earth" and someone took this guy and came up with a whole list of his qualifications for the job of "Mumakil Driver". It was really hilarious!

I do agree he's memorable -- he just looks like he loves his job to death, doesn't he? Tongue

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 21 2012, 5:15am

Post #17 of 29 (308 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene with Haleth, to me, is the hinge-point of the entire film. The moment where Aragorn stops talking about hope and "becomes" it. When I watch the films, want to stand up and applaud Jackson and Boyens and Walsh for coming up with it! (IMHO of course!)Smile

Weaver

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2012, 5:39am

Post #18 of 29 (459 views)
Shortcut
I like the Mumak driver too much to enjoy seeing him face his maker [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he, along with many of the extras in this scene, was/were Maori. (Maybe Samoan; there are many Samoans in New Zealand.) When the Rohirrim think they are getting ahead and then hear chanting in the distance, it always sounds like a Polynesian chant. South Pacific rather than Southron Smile

Anyway, my late step-father was, and my step-siblings are, Samoan. Mumak driver reminds me of one of my step-brothers who has an especially expressive face. Frown

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2012, 9:05am

Post #19 of 29 (339 views)
Shortcut
Instead of "mumak driver", shouldn't we call him the "Mumak Mahout"? [In reply to] Can't Post

mahout: noun the keeper or driver of an elephant, especially in India and the East Indies.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 9:45am

Post #20 of 29 (306 views)
Shortcut
I've tried to come up with a list of all the non-book characters.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Freda
Eothain
Figwit
Gothmog (in the book, but not named?)
Haleth
Irolas
Lurtz
Madril
Mumak driver
Morwen

What others are there?

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 21 2012, 10:41am

Post #21 of 29 (289 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog is mentioned once in the book by name [In reply to] Can't Post

But yes, his role is *nothing* to what it is in the films.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 10:45am

Post #22 of 29 (294 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't remember if he was named or not. Thanks Radagast-Aiwendil :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you said, the one reference in the book has been expanded a lot. Plus he is shown as a deformed Orc ...

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 21 2012, 10:50am

Post #23 of 29 (290 views)
Shortcut
It is an odd choice [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly when they leave out more interesting characters such as Prince Imrahil, but go for the underdog characters. However, it did succeed in showing the cunning of the Orc at its most potent level.
Still annoyed that they left Glorfindel out.Unimpressed

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jul 21 2012, 10:51am)

t_bomb

Jul 21 2012, 5:27pm

Post #24 of 29 (293 views)
Shortcut
Here here re. Haleth Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene really cemented my admiration for Aragorn as a great leader. He doesn't treat the kid like a kid, but as a comrade, a brother in arms. He doesn't invent some BS to try and put an optimistic spin on a grim situation. While Theoden is attempting to fire people up with his "death and glory" rhetoric, Aragorn gets perfectly "real" with Haleth. It's perfect.

Btw, I believe that cameo is played by Boyen's son.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 9:21pm

Post #25 of 29 (280 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's her son [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's possible he didn't nee to audition very hard for it.

IMO, it's an unfortunately bad bit of acting, but that's just me.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 21 2012, 9:22pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.