Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Your Favorite Sword?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 17 2012, 4:04pm

Post #1 of 26 (623 views)
Shortcut
Your Favorite Sword? Can't Post

What an embaressment of Richs...

My favorite..(.Drum Role Please!!?)

HERUGRIM..King Theoden's

The unshielding
drawn out with Howards Music?
in the Two Towers absoultely
fried my pancakes?

(Soon to be dead)....HAMA with
tears in his eyes.!

..complexed...confused King?
had me cryin' for the lost...

Later during Theoden's death under his horse?
was the most emotional moment for
OLD BOMBY

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 17 2012, 4:17pm

Post #2 of 26 (244 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene is absolutely incredible, with Howard Shore's music thundering behind as Theoden unsheathes Herugrim. One of the best moments in The Two Towers.
My favourite sword would be Glamdring, as I love the blue jewel on the cross-guard and the Elvish inscriptions, as well as the elegantly crafted pommel and handgrip.
Herugrim is one of my favourites though, along with Hadhafang and Orcrist.

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 17 2012, 4:44pm

Post #3 of 26 (235 views)
Shortcut
Sting for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no reasoning for it, just that it's Sting Laugh

Orcrist is creeping up though

imin
Valinor

Jul 17 2012, 5:39pm

Post #4 of 26 (236 views)
Shortcut
Sting for me to! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though i like the thought of glamdring and orcrist as well. So many times i have imagined being in mirkwood fighting off spiders with sting, or cutting through shelobs web or being the one to thrust glamdring through the chest of the great goblin!

Love them all but i think sting has a special place as its bilbo's and frodo's sword and a sweet moment in the book when he gives it to him.

Tigero
Rivendell

Jul 17 2012, 6:41pm

Post #5 of 26 (254 views)
Shortcut
Witch king of Angmar's sword (by movie) [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful in its brutal simplicity, also could prove out to be very capable stabbing sword. Althrough Gurthang has really sticked in my mind from the text.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

grinman
Rivendell

Jul 17 2012, 8:01pm

Post #6 of 26 (229 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's sword is number 1.. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, after seeing the films (and extras on the DVD), Glamdring was my favorite. But I really fell in love with all of the swords in the films. So, I started collecting the United Cutlery replicas. I bought 5 or 6 of them. Glamdring was my first and favorite.. for a while. My last purchase was Boromir's sword. It wasn't until I saw it in person and held it in my hand did I fully appreciate how beautiful and powerful that sword was. It felt so much more natural in my hand as opposed to Glamdring, Elven Warrior Sword, Anduril, Witch King's, or Sting. I HIGHLY recommend Boromir's sword to anybody...

Gorbag
Rivendell

Jul 17 2012, 11:33pm

Post #7 of 26 (246 views)
Shortcut
Like others...Sting. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the United Cutlery Sting and Scabbard, and its a thing of beauty. I love the design of it, the leaf like blade and the fantastic inscription along the blade. That along with its ''History'' of being the sword of Bilbo and Frodo through all their adventures adds that little extra something to it and makes me feel as though i own a little bit of Middle Earths history.

"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

zarabia
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2012, 1:40am

Post #8 of 26 (243 views)
Shortcut
Narsil/Anduril [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the reforging scene, brief as it is. And when Aragorn draws Narsil, you can see that it's so long and heavy that it quivers slightly in his hand. They could have gone with a light aluminum prop, but they went with realism and it pays off on screen. Powerful.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 18 2012, 2:08am

Post #9 of 26 (231 views)
Shortcut
well, I must admit I like Arwen's! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not book canon I know, but it's the only sword in the films that I could actually see myself using, so that's part of the attraction for me.

It's strong and elegant and feminine just like Arwen...and of course, you can use it to get Viggo to do what you want (not that that has anything to do with my choice of course...)

But really, all the swords are quite beautiful, aren't they! And they all work very well as expressions/extensions of the characters who bear them.

Weaver

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 18 2012, 4:35am

Post #10 of 26 (235 views)
Shortcut
Weaver thats Hillarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

In their long Rule of the reformed Gondor
I wonder how often Arwen used her
sccabard to point? Aragorn into
doing the right Thing.

I'M sure
she was the power behind the Throne..
(Giggle..giggle..he..he.he..)

XOXOxOXo bomby..

Nightingale
Rohan

Jul 18 2012, 9:55am

Post #11 of 26 (191 views)
Shortcut
I had to watch the 'presentation' of Anduril again [In reply to] Can't Post

just to see what you meant. You are right, it adds to an already inspiring moment.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Nightingale
Rohan

Jul 18 2012, 9:59am

Post #12 of 26 (189 views)
Shortcut
Anduril again here [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, Narsil/Anduril is also my favourite. Partly because it has such a history, partly Aragorn, and partly because 'Flame of the West' is such a cool name...Laugh
Although all of them are wonderful. I love the significance that both the films and Tolkien's writing give to swords. Each has a history and a purpose.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jul 19 2012, 12:38am

Post #13 of 26 (205 views)
Shortcut
Theoden's by a razor-thin margin [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby, I agree with your choice for exactly the same reasons. My confession: I was probably two years into my fanship before I realized that the beautiful work at the front of the hilt depicted horse heads! Blush

I really admire the entirety of the Edoras scenes in TTT, from photography, to writing, to music, to art direction - it's all sooo good. The use of Hama as a secondary character to give the audience a connection with the people of Rohan was brilliantly done.

OTOH, Narsil/Anduril is difficult for me to consign to second place because there is such strong use of it as a connecting thread for the storylines of so many characters. Isildur, Boromir, Aragorn, Arwen, and Elrond are all tied directly to the Sword That Was Broken (oh, and the King of the Dead, et al.) And there's the music....

I have often wondered if Viggo really whipped that blade as close to Hugo Weaving's face as it appeared.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 19 2012, 7:05am

Post #14 of 26 (201 views)
Shortcut
Bombadil, do you have the United Cutlery replica of Herugrim? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 19 2012, 3:37pm

Post #15 of 26 (172 views)
Shortcut
My favorite sword from the films... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I have to go with Aragorn's hand-and-a-half Ranger sword that he carries as Strider. As a fantasy gamer, though, I have always been partial to Rangers.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 20 2012, 7:18pm

Post #16 of 26 (151 views)
Shortcut
That scene is one of my favorites... [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be my favorite moment in *The Two Towers.* Just reading your post, I can hear the music in my head, see Theoden pull the sword from his Scabbard, see the look on Gandalf's face.

It's a magnificent sword, and the use of it in that moment is perfect.

I don't know if I have a favorite sword from the films, though. I tend to like the swords more for what they represent than for what they look like, especially with Narsil/Anduril.

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 21 2012, 11:16am

Post #17 of 26 (141 views)
Shortcut
To answer your. question...No I don't. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm retired and my finaces prevent me from collecting swords...
I do have their little catalogue
I got many years ago
and have recently
looked at websites
that feature thier line.

Anyone know if Bernard Hill
got to keep his from the film's?
B

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 11:43am

Post #18 of 26 (151 views)
Shortcut
Hill got to keep two things [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden's helmet and his sword.

It's a real shame that they can't make the swords cheaper. I had to save up for months to get Glamdring Unsure

imin
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 11:56am

Post #19 of 26 (126 views)
Shortcut
Every now and again [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone sells a LOTR sword on ebay for a really cheap price as i dont think they know what it is worth.

There was glamdring with box it came in for 40 pounds!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 21 2012, 12:04pm

Post #20 of 26 (136 views)
Shortcut
That is a good price! [In reply to] Can't Post

You need luck on your side if you want to buy these things off ebay. They need to be listed at a reasonable price, and then hope that nobody else will bid Laugh

More often than not, I'll just ebay the seller and settle on a sum if I want something that badly (and if other people are bidding) Tongue

imin
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 12:10pm

Post #21 of 26 (153 views)
Shortcut
I know, i really wanted it [In reply to] Can't Post

But i couldn't really justify to myself spending that much at the moment. I know sometime in the future i will wish i had when i end up paying about 110 pound for one!

Thats a good idea about just emailing and saying u want to sell for this price i have never done that. Might give it a try on some Tolkien books one day.

sam90
Lorien

Jul 21 2012, 6:46pm

Post #22 of 26 (151 views)
Shortcut
Sword [In reply to] Can't Post

Andůril to me, I very much like the hilt and it's long and unforgivable blade. In ROTK (the movie) I like the moment when Aragorn show it in the Palantěr to Sauron. The sword seems then very powerful in his master's hand, the heir of Isildur.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jul 21 2012, 6:48pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 9:24pm

Post #23 of 26 (149 views)
Shortcut
For me, that scene is also a high point of TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the few moments that the films reach the level of high fantasy, as Tolkien intended. But not better than the excellent scenes of Theodred's funeral, and Gandalf's conversation with Theoden by the mounds. Sublime. On location shooting at its best, with perfect lighting, wind, and composition. I fear there won't be as much of that in the Hobbit.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2012, 3:32am

Post #24 of 26 (129 views)
Shortcut
actually Orcrist... [In reply to] Can't Post

From looking at all the pictures I love the way it kind of resembles a machete. a blade that could definitely do some major damage

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 22 2012, 8:14am

Post #25 of 26 (123 views)
Shortcut
Anduril [In reply to] Can't Post

so good to be able to own a replica of an interpretation of a sword I had read about for many years.

I cannot leave without making a comment in response to Andurils unsheathing and that real swords are not heavy, it is probably the biggest myth about them. Although Viggo said Anduril was heavy compared to the ranger sword, an equivalent sized and purposed sword as Anduril would be nicely balanced and light for it's size. Probably only about 4 to 4 and a 1/2 pounds.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.