Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tales from the perilous realm
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 15 2012, 8:52pm

Post #1 of 35 (709 views)
Shortcut
Tales from the perilous realm Can't Post

How many of you have read it, and is it worth getting?

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2012, 8:56pm

Post #2 of 35 (333 views)
Shortcut
I have, and it is - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but, as with all of Tolkien's books, I usually recommend folks borrow them from the library first, to get an idea of whether they like them.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 8:57pm

Post #3 of 35 (304 views)
Shortcut
It is definitely worth a read! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a story (so don't expect that), but 5 different short stories/poems Smile

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 15 2012, 9:00pm

Post #4 of 35 (309 views)
Shortcut
Is it wise to read it before I even actually started reading LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I suppose the order in which I read them won't matter so much, right?

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 9:03pm

Post #5 of 35 (302 views)
Shortcut
Read LOTR first [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no need to read Perilous Realms before LOTR.

Although others may disagree.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2012, 9:04pm

Post #6 of 35 (305 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

- most of the parts of 'Tales' have nothing to do with Middle-earth. I'd just roll up your sleeves and get to grips with LotR, if I were you. Let us know how you get on - it's my favourite book.

Smile

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 15 2012, 10:03pm

Post #7 of 35 (307 views)
Shortcut
Kind of silly question but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does reading LOTR a few times kind of make you smarter or wiser? Crazy I know that almost every book does. But is there something special you gain by reading it?

(This post was edited by Morok Cloudkeeper on Jul 15 2012, 10:04pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2012, 10:07pm

Post #8 of 35 (290 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a silly question. And, no - speaking for myself, reading LotR has not made me any smarter or wiser. Tolkien asked a reader whether he'd _enjoyed_ the book? That's the reason I read LotR, time and again - because I enjoy it.

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 16 2012, 1:50am

Post #9 of 35 (313 views)
Shortcut
One of the arguments against fantasy [In reply to] Can't Post

is that we don't learn as much from it. But I view the best of fantasy as a collection of entertaining and timeless thought experiments.

In the case of The Hobbit, the experiment involved an everyman apparently sent to burgle from a dragon, although one suspects the dwarves will not be satisfied with simple burglary. What if Fairie could be found several days to our east, just a mountain range? What would adventuring in Fairie gain us, particularly if we are past the reasonable age for adventures? Bilbo is meant to be more like us, and more like Tolkien, than like a more typical fantasy hero, especially at that time, before Tolkien changed the genre.

In the case of LotR, or Son of Everyman, the question is whether humble hobbits, like and yet unlike us, can bear the weight of the world. The answer is just barely -- or, perhaps, for Frodo, the answer is only until he did his duty; he succeeded but paid a terrible price. And the story is relevant to us, especially when the Scouring of the Shire is included, for the Scouring is what Tolkien wanted us to do in our various communities, not just escape but rebel -- but with as little violence as possible. In short, to the extent hobbits resemble us, the lessons they learn are our lessons -- at least within the parameters of the thought experiment, but possibly beyond.

All that being said, if it weren't entertaining it wouldn't work. But Tolkien was a teacher, and wrote with that in mind.

(This post was edited by Curious on Jul 16 2012, 1:51am)

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 16 2012, 2:04am

Post #10 of 35 (238 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and it will expand your vocabulary.// [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 6:54am

Post #11 of 35 (251 views)
Shortcut
Definitely this [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll share a slightly embarrassing story Blush

When I first read the trilogy I was around 10 years old. There were always words that I had no idea what they meant. One example that I can think of is "torch". At that age, I thought "torch" literally meant a flashlight. I always thought it was odd that people in Middle-earth had torches but no other eletrical equipment. I soon realised that "torch" referred to fire ...

So yes, excpect your vocabulary to increase from reading LOTR. Wink

sador
Half-elven

Jul 16 2012, 7:56am

Post #12 of 35 (279 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't really matter. [In reply to] Can't Post

Three of the four Tales (Roverandom, Farmer Giles of Ham and Leaf by Niggle) were written before LotR was published, and Smith of Wootton Major is also completely independent of it.

The Lord of the Rings is definitely the more important book, but if you feel less confident with your English, you might not wish to tackle all 1000 pages of it first. It's up to you.

Enjoy!

"I personally still think of The Hobbit as a brilliant story aimed specifically at older children, with its own theme about growing up, that has little to do with the epic of the Ring that followed it."
- squire.

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for An Unexpected Party!

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 16 2012, 10:33am

Post #13 of 35 (238 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to tell [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any significant trouble reading The Hobbit. Since I can almost understand every word. Except some of the phrases Tolkien is used to. But LOTR is definitely more challenging than TH in every aspect. I am fairly certain that I could handle it.

sador
Half-elven

Jul 16 2012, 10:34am

Post #14 of 35 (221 views)
Shortcut
Go for it then, and good luck! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I personally still think of The Hobbit as a brilliant story aimed specifically at older children, with its own theme about growing up, that has little to do with the epic of the Ring that followed it."
- squire.

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for An Unexpected Party!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 10:46am

Post #15 of 35 (223 views)
Shortcut
Read a chapter a day [In reply to] Can't Post

Or just a couple of pages a day. You will enjoy it Smile Let us all know what you think!

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 16 2012, 10:55am

Post #16 of 35 (231 views)
Shortcut
Actually hehe... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm doing completely the same with The Hobbit. A chapter a day. Now I'm on "Out of the frying pan, into the fire.Smile To be honest. I'm not really used to reading for a long time without breaks. I was a quite good gamer , which I almost completely abandoned because films and books have become my true passion now. So I guess I need to spend more time with both of them to get used to. Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 11:00am

Post #17 of 35 (239 views)
Shortcut
However much I love Tolkien and reading [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a person that can't read for long periods of time. My partner can read for the entire day, but I'll read a couple of chapters and then start again after a lengthy break. A enjoy reading, and love Tolkien, but I can't just read the whole day Wink

Is this your first time reading The Hobbit as well?

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 16 2012, 11:02am

Post #18 of 35 (239 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

The second time actually. Now I'm picking up on actually a lot of stuff that I missed. I nearly forgot everything. I actually bought a Croatian edition for my dad, since he doesn't understand English well enough to be able to read a book in it. I hope he loves it as much as I do. Smile On what chapter are you now?

(This post was edited by Morok Cloudkeeper on Jul 16 2012, 11:03am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 11:04am

Post #19 of 35 (219 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm not reading The Hobbit at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

I plan on reading it before the film comes out in December, but haven't decide when yet Sly

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 16 2012, 11:10am

Post #20 of 35 (234 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always good to read it a few times. After I'm finished reading it now. I am going to start again after a few days or so. I suggest the same for you. Don't read it just one time before the films.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 11:15am

Post #21 of 35 (209 views)
Shortcut
I've read it plenty of times before [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading it more than once before the films, for me, probably wouldn't be a good idea. I want to enjoy the films while watching them, rather than analysing each scene. Once this year is enough (I read it last Christmas, mind).

imin
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 11:22am

Post #22 of 35 (208 views)
Shortcut
read last xmas for me to [In reply to] Can't Post

That is when i read the hobbit though, not sure why it just happened and in my mind now thats the time to read it, haha. Weird i know!

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 16 2012, 11:24am

Post #23 of 35 (215 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a certain comfortable holiday season feeling to it. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 11:28am

Post #24 of 35 (207 views)
Shortcut
I do the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless I go on holiday in the summer, then I'll start reading The Silmarillion, LOTR and TH autum/winter time.

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 16 2012, 2:35pm

Post #25 of 35 (229 views)
Shortcut
There are flashlights in The Silmarillion. [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC, Feanor made them and the elves guided Tuor through a long tunnel with them. And I suppose the vial of Galadriel in LotR is fundamentally a flashlight. But yes, there are the other kind of torches.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.