The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
First signed cast poster on ebay

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 22 (757 views)
Shortcut
First signed cast poster on ebay Can't Post

The first (that I'm aware) Comic-Con Hobbit poster, signed by MF and AS, is currently on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/...;hash=item3378f261bf

Who will buy it for me Wink

There are also a load of acorn pins, lego figures and SDCC Hobbit bags

http://www.ebay.com/...mp;_skc=50&rt=nc

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 15 2012, 8:35pm

Post #2 of 22 (469 views)
Shortcut
I'll buy it for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

That will be £10,000,000 please.Wink

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 8:42pm

Post #3 of 22 (466 views)
Shortcut
How about we split the poster in two ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jul 15 2012, 11:54pm

Post #4 of 22 (478 views)
Shortcut
Wow who is going to pay a thousand pounds for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone does they are out of their mind with more money than sense!

(nice poster though Tongue)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 6:47am

Post #5 of 22 (465 views)
Shortcut
It certainly isn't worth that much [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose the seller thinks it's worth that much because of all the "hype" from now until the release. It's already had 2 offers so some people want it!

But for £1000? I'll pass Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 10:25am

Post #6 of 22 (442 views)
Shortcut
And another, just $300! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item3cc8e20085

imin
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 10:39am

Post #7 of 22 (449 views)
Shortcut
A better price, but still to high for me [In reply to] Can't Post

But maybe i am being tight with cash?

For me i dont hold that much weight to the autographs, so its more buying the ComicCon poster. Just poster i would pay $10? For the poster with autographs, maybe $30?

Now if it some how had Tolkien's autograph, then it would be worth far more to me Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 10:44am

Post #8 of 22 (440 views)
Shortcut
No, you're not being tight [In reply to] Can't Post

$300 is steep for a poster and 3 autographs. The only reason it is that high because there will be very few for sale. They're not special, just rare.

imin
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 11:14am

Post #9 of 22 (437 views)
Shortcut
Do you know how many posters of this kind there were? [In reply to] Can't Post

were they on sale or given out to people who went to hobbit panel?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 11:17am

Post #10 of 22 (439 views)
Shortcut
I've got a feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

That you could get the poster from just attending ComicCon. But the cast where there only on the Saturday - so maybe they signed a couple of thousand?

I could be wrong though imin Crazy

imin
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 11:21am

Post #11 of 22 (436 views)
Shortcut
Ah yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

i forgot the cast were only there for the day, lol. I wish i were lucky enough to have gone, got a poster and had it signed!

Next year! maybe Tongue

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2012, 1:10pm

Post #12 of 22 (447 views)
Shortcut
Even if I had the money, they'd be worthless to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I am of the belief that a signed piece of memorabilia should be a personal memento of something. Just because a famous personality signed something doesn't make it valuable to me. If it was signed "for me", it would be priceless.

I won Doug Adam's book The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films a couple years ago, and Howard Shore kindly signed it with:

"Dear Earl, With best wishes, Howard Shore"

Now that's a priceless piece of memorabilia for me Cool

Edited to add: Oh, and even if these signed posters were worth a dollar, I wouldn't purchase one for the same reason.

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jul 16 2012, 1:11pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 1:14pm

Post #13 of 22 (423 views)
Shortcut
Now that is a piece of memorabilia! [In reply to] Can't Post

How lucky! Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 1:35pm

Post #14 of 22 (431 views)
Shortcut
Ah... I just got his name in my book [In reply to] Can't Post

But Doug wrote a lovely note. :-)

When I got signatures on the FOTR Live Concert Program, I was at Howard's spot first. He knows who I am by name (and reputation, I suppose... for all that's worth). But we had met for the first time earlier in the day. So I didn't expect him to recognize me off the bat from the dozens of people he'd met that day or the hundreds over the weekend. And I didn't want to ask for anything special. He was tired and I was grateful for the time he was giving. I didn't want to ask for more. He signed the program simply Howard Shore. But while he was waiting to pass the book to Doug, Doug and I started chatting and I felt as if Howard suddenly realized who I was and he wrote above his name, Thanks.

It meant a lot to me. And then, of course, Doug wrote a nice note, as well.

I do have more generally signed merchandise. I won a signed set of the Complete Recordings. Those weren't signed particularly for me but you can bet I kept them and gifted my other, previously bought set to a fellow message board member.

But the main reason I wouldn't buy an autograph on eBay is because those people (actors, etc) give their time for the fans. They don't give their time so someone can run to eBay to profit off their autograph. For every person who stood in that line and then ran to eBay to sell the autograph, one fan who genuinely wanted to meet that actor/person as much as get their autograph was displaced.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

imin
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 1:40pm

Post #15 of 22 (419 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with this // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

But the main reason I wouldn't buy an autograph on eBay is because those people (actors, etc) give their time for the fans. They don't give their time so someone can run to eBay to profit off their autograph. For every person who stood in that line and then ran to eBay to sell the autograph, one fan who genuinely wanted to meet that actor/person as much as get their autograph was displaced.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 1:44pm

Post #16 of 22 (440 views)
Shortcut
I agree as well, but was also thinking ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The reason why I wouldn't buy autographed merchandise off of ebay is because you have no idea whether it is authentic or not. Unless they have pictures, like in the example above, signatures can be very easily copied. Not only is signed merchandise personal, but it can also be a false market.

I received a Christmas present years and years ago that was "supposedly" signed by the 9 actors from the Fellowship. I have no idea whether it is real or not. But I can guess the answer ...

Doesn't stop me from displaying it though Wink

imin
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 1:51pm

Post #17 of 22 (426 views)
Shortcut
This is also true. What was the present if you dont mind me being so nosey! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 1:57pm

Post #18 of 22 (420 views)
Shortcut
It was just a [In reply to] Can't Post

framed picture of all the Fellowship together with signatures around/over the respective character. Nothing fancy, but more than likely fake Frown

imin
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 1:58pm

Post #19 of 22 (423 views)
Shortcut
Well you never know :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh and it sounds pretty damn cool btw!

(This post was edited by imin on Jul 16 2012, 1:59pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2012, 2:51pm

Post #20 of 22 (426 views)
Shortcut
And how can I forget the photograph you got signed for me in NY? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's something I treasure in my "hoard" as well. Those messages from friends who took a few minutes out of their day to remember me from across the world really meant so much to me (and it still does!) And all thanks to you Magpie SmileHeart

And yeah, the reason I appreciate Howard Shore's signature is because, well, I won a contest and, given there were a few running back then, he could just as well have passed along a copy of the book with just "Howard Shore" signed in, but I imagine since he wrote my name he cared some about personalizing it (which says something about him!), and I appreciated that.

By the way, I too bought a signed Alan Lee copy of The Children of Hurin off of the official Tolkien site back in the day, and I treasure it for a wholly different reason - it was the first signed thing I ever got. But I don't really value it as highly as I do the other two items. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't really value it at all except as much as the money I paid for it (sorry Alan, but you're gonna have to sign me one personally Angelic)

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Gorbag
Rivendell

Jul 16 2012, 9:14pm

Post #21 of 22 (463 views)
Shortcut
Crazy price. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its not worth anywhere near that, but its very cool. Would have loved to get one in person.

Ive already caved in and brought the exclusive Invisible Bilbo figure and the Hobbit Acorn pin from Ebay. They cost me £40 for both including shipping from the US. Its a pretty fair price, more than they were on the day, but well, im a nerd for these kind of things.

Also, regarding signed stuff on Ebay, i wouldnt buy something signed from Ebay unless i knew it was 100% real, ie stuff like the Topps autographed movie cards i collect. Ive noticed alot of signed LOTR stuff that just doesnt look right, and the sellers selling them seem to have multiple copies of the same ''Signed'' item. Very dodgy.

I also agree that a signed item means much more when its signed for you individually. I met Sir Ian McKellen and he signed something for me, its the one piece of my LOTR collection i hold more dear than anything else.

"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 17 2012, 8:21pm

Post #22 of 22 (565 views)
Shortcut
I agree completely! [In reply to] Can't Post

The point of autographs is to meet the celebrities and talk to them.

Not just to have some junk with their names scrawled on it.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.