The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
News From Bree posts

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 15 2012, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 10 (306 views)
Shortcut
News From Bree posts Can't Post

No, a specific NfB post is not all gobbledy gook. No, there is not a NfB post in the wrong forum.

As if NfB posts did not have enough problems, I'm wondering if it would be possible for the person who posts a particular NfB item to be able to "sign" it, as it were. I mean, is there some way we can know who wrote the article?

Sometimes the writers of NfB posts will reference themselves, such as "I've never seen that before", or "...this writer...". I'd just like to know who it is. Smile

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 4:29pm

Post #2 of 10 (210 views)
Shortcut
many are 'signed' on the home page [In reply to] Can't Post

I've sometimes wondered the same thing and I'll go to the home page to see if the article there has a reporter's name attached. It often does ... but not always.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 15 2012, 4:41pm

Post #3 of 10 (238 views)
Shortcut
Check the Home Page [In reply to] Can't Post

News from Bree is a user name that was created specifically so posts from the Home Page would automatically post to the boards and be instantly recognizable as 'headline news.' To see who the author is, just need to go to the Home Page and read the credit under the heading. Smile

The exception would be if someone purposely selects either "Admin" or "News from Bree" to post to the Home Page. Some spymaster posters do that occasionally just to have a 'generic' credit.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 17 2012, 8:59am

Post #4 of 10 (211 views)
Shortcut
Does this NfB post belong in Moots? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=467638;#467638

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2012, 9:21am

Post #5 of 10 (208 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

it seems better placed in OT. Thanks. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 17 2012, 4:12pm

Post #6 of 10 (227 views)
Shortcut
What Home Page? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
Yes I'm one of those people who rarely ventures beyond the cozy Shire of the message boards. NfB posts just make it that much easier never to leave my little cocoon.

Thanks. Smile

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 17 2012, 9:10pm

Post #7 of 10 (207 views)
Shortcut
points left to the link that says "Home" [In reply to] Can't Post

It just goes to show how each of us came to TORn in different ways. I found the Home Page in the summer of 2002 and visited it so often I just made it my browser's home page. I mean, I probably checked it between 5 and 15 times a day till maybe 2004.

I didn't know the message boards existed for a few years. Then I visited them briefly but was communicating on other boards quite satisfactorily. It wasn't until attrition after ROTK caused those boards to go dead that I came here.

I find it easier to check Hobbit news on the Home page than on the boards. First, there are way too many threads and posts on the Hobbit board to keep up with. Next, a lot of those topics being discussed don't interest me. And lastly, there's nothing like having one's buzz killed. And we have a lot of buzz kills on the boards. I like enjoying news in private where I can indulge in as much pleasure, excitement or contentment as I like.

Would you like me to link you to some Richard Armitage photos and interviews that came up recently? :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 17 2012, 10:38pm

Post #8 of 10 (189 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Only if he's got a big, um, sword.
Cool

I knew the Home Page is there, I just never visit it. I also skip most of the Hobbit board, mainly for the reasons you state, but also because I'm obviously NARF. I'm not particularly interested in the tiniest little rumor about everything. Blush I don't care if Radagast has a pointy hat like Gandalf, or a fascinator like Princess Beatrice. Laugh

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2012, 6:59am

Post #9 of 10 (181 views)
Shortcut
Luckily I wasn't drinking anything when I read this :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 20 2012, 6:53pm

Post #10 of 10 (178 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the home page religiously after I found it right after seeing *Fellowship* in 1999. I remembering having it up in my browser all day and hitting "refresh" at least once an hour. I continued reading it daily until some point in 2005 or 2006. But I didn't know about the boards. I didn't even start lurking until about a month before I joined! To each her own approach to TORn, I guess!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.