Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Virtually nothing but good news! Shaping up like the proper marraige of Epic and wondrous Fairy/Folktale

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 15 2012, 8:14am

Views: 1513
Shortcut
Virtually nothing but good news! Shaping up like the proper marraige of Epic and wondrous Fairy/Folktale Can't Post

I have been reading through the articles and Have been very pleased indeed. Gandalf using the thunderous voice and darkening the scene when having his final say on Bilbo to The Dwarves, in JUST the manner I imagined and hoped would be relayed. . . glowing glamdring, Stone Giants, and humour galore, a fainting Bilbo not the least of these things.

Certainly I took great pleasure in reading in one review that what they saw suggested a film as massive in scale and sweep as the LOTR trilogy, but also with more of the touching, childlike wonder found in classic movies like The Neverending Story (the sequels to that may have been crap, but the original was a beautiful and truly wonderful film). I know it won't be perfect. No one's adaptation of our favourite tales are ever quite perfect, unless the adaptation is our own lol. Yet, from all accounts it is shaping up to be very wonderful indeed.

I take some issue with the great and beloved Galadriel, mighty and noble and wondrous as she is, being described as the most powerful being in Middle Earth. That is VERY arguable, and I can hear some Holy Wizards (Saruman most loudly), Old Bombadil (though he soon turns his mind to something else and leaves the debate) a Balrog, and of course Sauron himself asserting differences of opinion with Phillipa on the matter. It would have been better for her to have been listed as the most powerful Elf, but I won't quibble over it so long as it does not become a glaring matter.

But so far everything sounds wonderful, and I was also very happy to hear that Gandalf has Thrain's Key from the onset of the story, which helps to assure that any meeting between himself and Thrain will indeed be flashback. Hope to see those beautiful, charmed smokerings, and his explosive enchantments against the goblins. Give me that and a Glorfindel cameo and I can expire a happy camper. lol. Anyway, great reveiw news thus far. Here are the links I've read. I haven't seen them all collected in a single thread thus far.

http://www.hollywood.com/...Kellen_LOTR/33918208

http://io9.com/...first-hobbit-footage

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
Virtually nothing but good news! Shaping up like the proper marraige of Epic and wondrous Fairy/Folktale AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jul 15 2012, 8:14am
    The coverage has just been fantastic! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 15 2012, 9:09am
    sorry - geordie Send a private message to geordie Jul 15 2012, 9:51am
        knowing hiw Wandering Ranger Send a private message to Wandering Ranger Jul 15 2012, 10:08am
            That's very kind of you - geordie Send a private message to geordie Jul 15 2012, 10:54am
    I agree Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jul 15 2012, 1:52pm
        Lol. No problems Voronwe. I still hold to my bottom line sticking points, AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jul 15 2012, 7:56pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.