Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbitcon Hall H presentation. TORn round-up part one!

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 14 2012, 9:17pm

Post #1 of 9 (1286 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbitcon Hall H presentation. TORn round-up part one! Can't Post

Well, the long wait is over. Peter brought 12 and a half minutes of Hobbit goodness to Comic-Con's Hall H today, and blew everyone's minds. Reports are that much of what we saw was similar to what was shown at Cinema-Con earlier this year, with a number of interesting changes and two additional minutes of footage.

For this crowd it was all very, very new.

Read on for the first part of our detailed report on what was shown! Unless you're not into SPOILERS in which case, look away now!

Wild applause broke out the moment the hall dimmed, as images only seen before online or in magazine articles filled the screens flanking the audience.

Nothing compares to seeing them up on screen. The front door of Bag End, the dwarves gathered around Bilbo's table, the barrel scene... all this and more.

Followed by a production diary chock full of heart-felt messages from the cast, the crew and scenes from throughout the shoot. Dwarf after dwarf, Martin, Andy, Orlando, and more in quick succession.

When Peter stepped on stage, the house leapt to its feet with enough energy to propel themselves into the air.

“Who has been camping out on the street all night” he asked. “ You poor sods. You poor bastards. But thank you very much!”

Bringing Phillipa Boyens out on stage, he introduced her as someone who is “possibly a bigger Tolkien geek than any of you.” I don't know about the Hall H crowd, but the TORn audience is pretty geeky, so I'm guessing it's a bit of a toss up.

What we were about to see had a few not-quite-finished touches Peter said,, such as partially-finished effects an temporary music tracks. An update for film score fans: Howard Shore begins recording with the London Philharmonic in the next few weeks.

Also, a Comic-Con extra: never-seen second film footage that made its way into the clips. “But we won't identify them,” Peter said cheekily.

Then, without any fanfare, the lights dimmed and 'The Hobbit' lit up the screen.

The Hobbit showreel:

It opens with a sweeping shot of the green hills of the Shire, with a voiceover from Gandalf intoning “Far to the east lies ….” Setting the scene of where they are going -– which is Bag End and the dwarves gathered around Bilbo's table talking about the quest.

An imposing and grim Thorin heads the table: “Rumors have begun to spread,” he says, “The dragon Smaug has not been seen in many years... Perhaps the vast wealth of our people lies unprotected … perhaps it is time to take back Erebor!”

Gandalf produces the key “It was given to me by your father for safekeeping, it is yours now.”

Fili: “if there's a key there must be a door!”

This leads in to a discussion of the map and what must be done to go after the long-lost treasure. Gandalf looks to Bilbo... “That is why we need a burglar.”

Martin Freeman is wonderful in this scene, playing a hobbit who is as yet oblivious of what is being designed for him. Even as Gandalf professes the need for a burglar, he agrees but doesn't quite realize that what Gandalf means is HIM.

“He's hardly burglar material” the dwarves observe as they regard him skeptcially. Which Bilbo happily agrees to. Gandalf then rises to magificent height and deep voice, much like in Fellowship of the Ring when he says commandingly: “I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm trying to help you”

In this case, he warns the dwarves that a burglar he may not is but a burglar he will be.

Because Smaug is well aware of the scent of dwarf, but Hobbit is wholly known to him. Bilbo looks appropriately horrified.

Thorin and the others are extremely skeptical: “Very well, we I'll do it your way.”

As we saw in the trailer last fall, Thorin says:

“I cannot guarantee his safety, nor will I be responsible for his fate.”

“Agreed,” said Gandalf.

The reading of the contract is hilarious, as Bilbo goes over the terms and the various dwarves jump to reassure him that it will be painless once he's turned ash. James Nesbitt, as Bofur, is superbly funny.

Then Bilbo faints. Thunk.

Then follows a series of quick shots of Radagast -– full-bearded, rough-looking, with a big hat... which we later see him conceals a number of birds. He's cuddling his bunnies and later on we see him racing through the forest on the infamous “bunnysled”

Quick look at Laketown, which looks amazing. Large boats, almost like pontoons, navigating their way through a warren of canals.

A brief moment of Gandalf speaking to Radagast, “Turn around and do not come back.”

Radagast does come across as very gentle, as we heard out of Cinema-Con reports.

We follow Gandalf into what could only be Dol Guldur. Looking terrified, he races through narrow passages, as we see glimpses of something ominous racing around either away or following him. Very tight quarters, then suddenly a person we assume to be Thrain leaps out and attacks him.

Cut away to Bilbo and Gollum's meeting in the goblin caves. Bilbo is clumsily waving Sting at Gollum, trying to get him to go away.

“I need to get un-lost a soon as possible.” Bilbo tells Gollum. “I don't know what your games.”

“GAMES, WE LOVES GAMES, DON'T WE PRECIOUS!?” Says Gollum, who is quickly slipping between Smeagol and his alter ego.

Bilbo, frightened but up for a small shot at escape, “ Let's play a game. If I win you show me the way out of here.”

Then we move into snippet of the Riddle Game...

Interested? There's much more to come!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 15 2012, 3:26am

Post #2 of 9 (842 views)
Shortcut
Hobbitcon video interview complete round-up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like as well as hosting a big presentation in Hall H that Peter Jackson and his minions have been busy little bees and spent the day doing a bunch of interviews.

So without further ado, here's a round-up of interview links to visit on Youtube:

Fandango:

IGN

Entertainment Weekly

If we've missed one somewhere, drop us a line at spymaster at theonering dot net

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 4:29am

Post #3 of 9 (574 views)
Shortcut
reaction from another site [In reply to] Can't Post

You know how when you finally return to a once familiar place that brought you great comfort and happiness after a long time away and youre nervous that it may not quite be the same? Well, dont worry. The Hobbit looks and feels very much like The Lord of the Rings, and even if the stakes dont feel nearly as dire, Middle Earth still felt very much at home.

Adam B. Vary, ew.com http://insidemovies.ew.com/...bit-comic-con-panel/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Gothmog Gilthoniel
The Shire

Jul 15 2012, 4:43am

Post #4 of 9 (538 views)
Shortcut
Video?? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, the long wait is over. Peter brought 12 and a half minutes of Hobbit goodness to Comic-Con's Hall H today, and blew everyone's minds. Reports are that much of what we saw was similar to what was shown at Cinema-Con earlier this year, with a number of interesting changes and two additional minutes of footage.

For this crowd it was all very, very new.

Read on for the first part of our detailed report on what was shown! Unless you're not into SPOILERS in which case, look away now!

Wild applause broke out the moment the hall dimmed, as images only seen before online or in magazine articles filled the screens flanking the audience.

Nothing compares to seeing them up on screen. The front door of Bag End, the dwarves gathered around Bilbo's table, the barrel scene... all this and more.

Followed by a production diary chock full of heart-felt messages from the cast, the crew and scenes from throughout the shoot. Dwarf after dwarf, Martin, Andy, Orlando, and more in quick succession.

When Peter stepped on stage, the house leapt to its feet with enough energy to propel themselves into the air.

“Who has been camping out on the street all night” he asked. “ You poor sods. You poor bastards. But thank you very much!”

Bringing Phillipa Boyens out on stage, he introduced her as someone who is “possibly a bigger Tolkien geek than any of you.” I don't know about the Hall H crowd, but the TORn audience is pretty geeky, so I'm guessing it's a bit of a toss up.

What we were about to see had a few not-quite-finished touches Peter said,, such as partially-finished effects an temporary music tracks. An update for film score fans: Howard Shore begins recording with the London Philharmonic in the next few weeks.

Also, a Comic-Con extra: never-seen second film footage that made its way into the clips. “But we won't identify them,” Peter said cheekily.

Then, without any fanfare, the lights dimmed and 'The Hobbit' lit up the screen.

The Hobbit showreel:

It opens with a sweeping shot of the green hills of the Shire, with a voiceover from Gandalf intoning “Far to the east lies ….” Setting the scene of where they are going -– which is Bag End and the dwarves gathered around Bilbo's table talking about the quest.

An imposing and grim Thorin heads the table: “Rumors have begun to spread,” he says, “The dragon Smaug has not been seen in many years... Perhaps the vast wealth of our people lies unprotected … perhaps it is time to take back Erebor!”

Gandalf produces the key “It was given to me by your father for safekeeping, it is yours now.”

Fili: “if there's a key there must be a door!”

This leads in to a discussion of the map and what must be done to go after the long-lost treasure. Gandalf looks to Bilbo... “That is why we need a burglar.”

Martin Freeman is wonderful in this scene, playing a hobbit who is as yet oblivious of what is being designed for him. Even as Gandalf professes the need for a burglar, he agrees but doesn't quite realize that what Gandalf means is HIM.

“He's hardly burglar material” the dwarves observe as they regard him skeptcially. Which Bilbo happily agrees to. Gandalf then rises to magificent height and deep voice, much like in Fellowship of the Ring when he says commandingly: “I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm trying to help you”

In this case, he warns the dwarves that a burglar he may not is but a burglar he will be.

Because Smaug is well aware of the scent of dwarf, but Hobbit is wholly known to him. Bilbo looks appropriately horrified.

Thorin and the others are extremely skeptical: “Very well, we I'll do it your way.”

As we saw in the trailer last fall, Thorin says:

“I cannot guarantee his safety, nor will I be responsible for his fate.”

“Agreed,” said Gandalf.

The reading of the contract is hilarious, as Bilbo goes over the terms and the various dwarves jump to reassure him that it will be painless once he's turned ash. James Nesbitt, as Bofur, is superbly funny.

Then Bilbo faints. Thunk.

Then follows a series of quick shots of Radagast -– full-bearded, rough-looking, with a big hat... which we later see him conceals a number of birds. He's cuddling his bunnies and later on we see him racing through the forest on the infamous “bunnysled”

Quick look at Laketown, which looks amazing. Large boats, almost like pontoons, navigating their way through a warren of canals.

A brief moment of Gandalf speaking to Radagast, “Turn around and do not come back.”

Radagast does come across as very gentle, as we heard out of Cinema-Con reports.

We follow Gandalf into what could only be Dol Guldur. Looking terrified, he races through narrow passages, as we see glimpses of something ominous racing around either away or following him. Very tight quarters, then suddenly a person we assume to be Thrain leaps out and attacks him.

Cut away to Bilbo and Gollum's meeting in the goblin caves. Bilbo is clumsily waving Sting at Gollum, trying to get him to go away.

“I need to get un-lost a soon as possible.” Bilbo tells Gollum. “I don't know what your games.”

“GAMES, WE LOVES GAMES, DON'T WE PRECIOUS!?” Says Gollum, who is quickly slipping between Smeagol and his alter ego.

Bilbo, frightened but up for a small shot at escape, “ Let's play a game. If I win you show me the way out of here.”

Then we move into snippet of the Riddle Game...

Interested? There's much more to come!

I don't want to read. I want a video to watch! Tongue

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 15 2012, 5:17am

Post #5 of 9 (513 views)
Shortcut
No recording was allowed [In reply to] Can't Post

We're fairly sure WB will be putting something up at some point (hopefully soon), but it's really up to them at this point.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 9:28am

Post #6 of 9 (400 views)
Shortcut
Comments: [In reply to] Can't Post

Bringing Phillipa Boyens out on stage, he introduced her as someone who is possibly a bigger Tolkien geek than any of you

I fully expect someone to make a thread on this comment. I can shortlist a few names to Wink

Fili: if theres a key there must be a door!

Is Fili the Legolas of TH? Legolas: "A diversion!" Crazy

The reading of the contract is hilarious, as Bilbo goes over the terms and the various dwarves jump to reassure him that it will be painless once hes turned ash. James Nesbitt, as Bofur, is superbly funny.

This sounds super!

Strange the report hasn't covered which riddle was shown, as in others.

namarie
Rohan

Jul 15 2012, 10:38am

Post #7 of 9 (369 views)
Shortcut
To me it was clear [In reply to] Can't Post

quite for some time that Fili is the Legolas of TH Smile

There is always hope

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 2:28pm

Post #8 of 9 (282 views)
Shortcut
What other obvious phrases can we come up with? ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

artemy
Lorien

Jul 15 2012, 2:39pm

Post #9 of 9 (354 views)
Shortcut
I just assumed it was less [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili stating the obvious and more him saying "there must be a SECRET door we didn't know about before", since of course as an ancient dwarf kingdom Erebor would have a door/gate/entrance of some kind which Smaug had blocked.

But I could be wrong Tongue

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 15 2012, 2:40pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.