Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
To Comic-Con Interviewers: Ask PJ About The Green Tint In FOTR EE Blu-ray
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2012, 5:46pm

Post #1 of 75 (960 views)
Shortcut
To Comic-Con Interviewers: Ask PJ About The Green Tint In FOTR EE Blu-ray Can't Post

Please do your research about the Green Tint issue on The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition Blu-ray. There are two issues: 1) The new color grading has been widely accepted - that is not at issue. Nice work, especially Rivendell. 2) There is a static, indiscriminate green tint overlay on the entire film, including titles and fades to white. It is either a late-process mistake after PJ signed off on the transfer, or a terrible choice.

Ask PJ if he is even aware of the Green Tint controversy (which is *not* the same issue as color grading), and why he has made no direct comments about it , relying on others to pass along hearsay.

Ask PJ if his, and the studio's, lack of response is because the studio is trying to save face and the costs of a remedy.

Ask if the release of the single editions of the Lord of the Rings movies will fix the issue or retain the tint.

When he says he's been a tad busy with a little movie called The Hobbit, don't accept that excuse - it will be seen as speciously evasive. There would certainly have been a spare moment.

Pin PJ down until you do a responsible job on behalf of all the fans to get a complete and accurate answer that even the cynics can't deny is an honest response directly from the director himself.

Do us all a favor and let's see if you can definitely make this issue go away. Only you and PJ can do that.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 13 2012, 6:51pm

Post #2 of 75 (576 views)
Shortcut
The best way to communicate to TORn staff at Comic-Con... [In reply to] Can't Post

is to use twitter: @theoneringnet

or email spymaster@theonering.net

I can say with good certainty they will not see this post here. They are way too busy gathering info, photos and staffing TORn's two booth locations to read the boards this weekend. :-)

But they are (as far as I can tell) responding to tweets and I think staff not at SDCC are monitoring spymaster.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2012, 7:00pm

Post #3 of 75 (522 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I am philosophically opposed to Twitter (and Facebook), so I don't have accounts there, but I will use the email.

Maybe someone (or more than just one "someone") will tweet this request?

I am also hoping that more than just the TORN staff read these forums. Wink

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 13 2012, 7:01pm)

Jeremy
Rivendell

Jul 14 2012, 4:32pm

Post #4 of 75 (554 views)
Shortcut
Green tint [In reply to] Can't Post

Hm, I don't think I ever noticed that issue. I probably will now that you mentioned it though. Laugh

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 14 2012, 7:42pm

Post #5 of 75 (485 views)
Shortcut
Research [In reply to] Can't Post

Search the web for "fellowship of the ring green tint" or here in these forums for Kendalf's posts regarding "green" or "tint" for a better explanation of the issue.

Tigero
Rivendell

Jul 14 2012, 7:44pm

Post #6 of 75 (493 views)
Shortcut
Never should have come here :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed either and now my perfectionist side is screaming when i see FotR

Pessimists have no disappointments.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 14 2012, 7:49pm

Post #7 of 75 (495 views)
Shortcut
Just In Case... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember, the tint appears only on Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition Blu-ray. All other releases (e.g., DVD) are unaffected.

Jeremy
Rivendell

Jul 14 2012, 9:53pm

Post #8 of 75 (489 views)
Shortcut
Found an example on YouTube [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwcm-73kZE8

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 15 2012, 1:57am

Post #9 of 75 (526 views)
Shortcut
Just adjust your monitor [In reply to] Can't Post

I did that as soon as I tried watching my Blu-ray version of LOTR, and it looked fine.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2012, 2:11am

Post #10 of 75 (491 views)
Shortcut
Solution? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you'll forgive us, were such advice to come from Warner Brothers, for considering that kind of advice worthless horse hockey and shouting it down as really very patronizing.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 15 2012, 2:11am)

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 15 2012, 2:29am

Post #11 of 75 (472 views)
Shortcut
Well, this advice doesn't come from Warner Bros. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a person with no great expertise with video equipment, but it worked for me. Pardon me for trying to help.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2012, 2:45am

Post #12 of 75 (453 views)
Shortcut
Understood [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted to make the point that WB wouldn't get away with saying such a thing, and that it's not a real solution. Some folks have done what you've done, but it's not perfect and the notion of having to adjust settings per picture is an inconvenience and too much for a studio to expect or excuse itself.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 15 2012, 2:45am

Post #13 of 75 (469 views)
Shortcut
Chill [In reply to] Can't Post

I think she was only trying to help.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2012, 2:55am

Post #14 of 75 (455 views)
Shortcut
Chill [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think she said that sarcastically enough to understand. Thanks. Chill.

I really should emphasize my reaction is not to her advice, but to imagining it coming from WB.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 15 2012, 3:02am)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 15 2012, 3:04am

Post #15 of 75 (451 views)
Shortcut
Whatever [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to be nasty.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2012, 8:04am

Post #16 of 75 (475 views)
Shortcut
Please remember [In reply to] Can't Post

that when you are posting here, you are not talking to WB or to Peter Jackson, you are talking to fellow fans. If you want to communicate with people involved with the production or distribution of the movies, an email or actual letter to an official address will be far more likely to get to them as the people in charge really do not come and read the boards. Most of the contact they have with the site is via the front page, the FB page or the twitter feed, or by email direct with the site founders. If you expect to reach them via the message boards, you are wasting your time.

We realize the green tint is a big issue for you and it is ok to discuss it with other people here but don't be uncivil to other members of the boards because of your frustration with someone who isn't actually part of the conversation.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jul 15 2012, 8:11am)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2012, 1:52pm

Post #17 of 75 (437 views)
Shortcut
Not The Point [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you read the OP? I do not expect to reach WB or PJ here. That's not the point, is it, to reach them through these forums. Efforts of fans to reach WB and PJ about the issue do not work. It's the great wall of silence. Read the OP subject title and that's your clue to who might have access to PJ this week and who is currently in the best position to get results. Notice I did not not say it is to guarantee results; just the best position to get them. I also sent an email to possible interviewers as kindly and originally suggested by Magpie.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2012, 4:11pm

Post #18 of 75 (420 views)
Shortcut
The point is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that it's rude to snap at someone who'd just like to help. A simple "thanks, but this is something I'd like cleaned up at the source" suffices, not a tirade, even when directed elsewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Jeremy
Rivendell

Jul 16 2012, 3:22am

Post #19 of 75 (429 views)
Shortcut
After watching the panel, I think it would have been out of place to ask this question [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 6:48am

Post #20 of 75 (405 views)
Shortcut
It has nothing to do with TH [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if someone had asked it they probably wouldn't have dwelt on the question.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 5:04pm

Post #21 of 75 (412 views)
Shortcut
I asked PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

And he said, quote: "There is no green tint. That's just not true. The tint is actually pinkish-brown, and it makes everything look a lot better."

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 17 2012, 10:28pm

Post #22 of 75 (390 views)
Shortcut
Valiant effort, JW! [In reply to] Can't Post

...and just about the only option left to us! A direct question, face-to-face.

My "Green tint or not?" thread in the Discussion section of Peter Jackson's Facebook page garnered no response from him
A parallel one I started on the official Lord of the Rings page was blessed with one Press Release denying the issue
Comments made by myself and others on the one single story TORn posted on the issue (which ridiculed those who were angered by the tint) saw the post removed and the topic never brought up again, let alone taken on board by the net's leading Tolkien site
Our extensive, substantiated discussions of the topic in these Message Boards have not led to the topic being taken on board either
My repeated emails to WB's Customer Services department have not even been blessed with a response

Did you get a reply to the email you sent at Magpie's suggestion?

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 17 2012, 10:41pm

Post #23 of 75 (344 views)
Shortcut
Adjusting your screen admits there's a problem, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

All sorts of measures were being proposed by legions of disgruntled fans this time last year. Some were as basic as "switch your lights off, set the picture to cool, turn up the brightness"; others were mind-bogglingly advanced as techno-experts swapped recommended settings over forums that I couldn't even follow let alone implement!! Crazy People were posting their suggestions for specific monitors and specific TVs to try to eradicate (or at least ameliorate) the issue.

But whilst many of their efforts no doubt did ameliorate it, why on Earth should they have had to? There is a undeniable issue here, and we should be demanding that WB and Jackson address it, not taking it upon ourselves to work around it.*

Agreed? Smile

* Tempting / necessary as that may seem as we await an answer!!

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 17 2012, 10:54pm

Post #24 of 75 (354 views)
Shortcut
We fans need you, TORn!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when you are posting here, you are not talking to WB or to Peter Jackson...Most of the contact they have with the site is via the front page, the FB page or the twitter feed, or by email direct with the site founders...

Which was why it was so disappointing that TORn never took this issue up with Jackson or WB.

As I've detailed in a post above, we've tried to contact Jackson and WB repeatedly in all manner of ways and been met with nothing but an impenetrable wall of silence. Had TORn actually acknowledged the fact that the internet was on fire with the issue last June and addressed it head-on on its front page (rather than link to a article belittling it and the fans upset by it), then I suspect it would have had a far greater chance of eliciting a response from Jackson that we mere individuals ever had.

This is (I suspect) precisely why JW felt his direct appeal to TORn at the top of this thread was one of our last viable options...and why I support him fully in it.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 17 2012, 10:59pm

Post #25 of 75 (393 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

...the official Hall H Hobbit panel probably wouldn't have been the right place to raise the issue but I don't think that's what JW was asking for; instead, there were plenty of opportunities for TORn staff (who I presume are well-known, respected and liked by Jackson) to raise it either before or after the panel.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.