Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Hobbit discussion schedule chapter one part two

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Jul 12 2012, 8:56am

Views: 801
Shortcut
The Hobbit discussion schedule chapter one part two Can't Post

Welcome to part two of chapter one. It is Wednesday tea-time and Bilbo has totally forgotten about his invitation to Gandalf for tea. Forgetful Hobbit. Was it just Gandalf or did he often forget he invited people for tea? Might explain his lack of friends!
But it isn't Gandalf it's a dwarf, Dwalin. With a blue beard and dark-green hood. Hood colours are important! Or are they? How accurate should a certain film -maker keep to this text? And a blue beard! Does Tolkien mean literaly blue? How does a dwarf beard get blue? None of the others seem to have blue beards, not even Gandalf.
So why Dwarves? Why did apart from Hobbits, Tolkien decided to focus upon Dwarves rather than Man or Elves his main love? I suppose that Dwarves are good enough to be trusted by Bilbo but have their tricksy little ways, room for future conflict.
Anyway as has been mentioned this entrance is very similar to the trick Gandalf pulls on Beorn. Though maybe not exactly the same. Perhaps the Dwarves did come individually to Bag End from their various halls!
13 dwarves and finally Gandalf arrives. Though is every Dwarf hood accounted for? I don't think I can find 13 hoods in the text. It is now we get our first hint that all might not be well in this fairy tale world with Balins and Dwalins talk of Goblns, Wolves and Dragons.
Though Bilbo is ore concerned that he might run out of seed-cake. That will soon be the least of his worries! Still does anyone have a recipe for seed-cake? Sounds a bit like carrot cake. He must have quite a full larder even for a hobbit to be able to cater for13 at short notice. Did they have freezers in the Shire?
One point I noticed is that Bombur asked for Pork-pie and salad. Hmmmm Pork-pie I understand but Bombur doesn't strike me as a salad person! Now when I had this tale first read to me at lower school, my teacher asked us how is it that Gandalf knows so much snout Bilbos larder? I wonder what anyone here thinks and I can compare answers Bilbo does attempt to wash up by himself quite a noble act, but the Dwarves help and sing a song as they do. Has anyone any ideas as to the tune of this song?
Once cleared up the Dwarves start to sing another song whereby they explain the meaning of this visit!

Subject User Time
The Hobbit discussion schedule chapter one part two Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Jul 12 2012, 8:56am
    Thoughts. Curious Send a private message to Curious Jul 12 2012, 4:09pm
        Wizards and hobbit larder Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Jul 22 2012, 9:03am
            Gandalf knew the hobbits for how long? squire Send a private message to squire Jul 24 2012, 1:14am
    Answers sador Send a private message to sador Jul 13 2012, 12:49pm
        I think Bombur has a happy ending. Curious Send a private message to Curious Jul 13 2012, 3:15pm
    Comedy and enchantment Modtheow Send a private message to Modtheow Jul 15 2012, 6:16pm
        Bewuthered and Belladonna SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jul 16 2012, 1:30am
            Belladonna's two sides Modtheow Send a private message to Modtheow Jul 17 2012, 2:47am
                Just mentioning sador Send a private message to sador Jul 17 2012, 5:20am
                Yes, exactly SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jul 18 2012, 2:13am
        I love your comments about the comic confusion. Curious Send a private message to Curious Jul 16 2012, 2:04am
            Thanks for the clip! Modtheow Send a private message to Modtheow Jul 17 2012, 2:18am
                Honestly, I'm less attached to The Hobbit text. Curious Send a private message to Curious Jul 17 2012, 2:49am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.