Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Second time reading The Hobbit

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 11 2012, 11:35am

Post #1 of 22 (539 views)
Shortcut
Second time reading The Hobbit Can't Post

And I must say it's much more enjoyable,if not 10 times better than my first read through.I can understand more of Tolkien's vocabulary,and it got me so much more excited to see the movies this december.I got to chapter 3 now: A short rest,and I especially loved the trolls the chapter before.I guess that the english speaking world is divided between people who have read The Hobbit and LOTR and those who are going to read them.Wink Cheers.

the user formerly known as "Legos"

Power can be held in the smallest of things...

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 11 2012, 2:42pm

Post #2 of 22 (246 views)
Shortcut
I know you said it in jest, but [In reply to] Can't Post

there is a large part of the English-speaking world which will never read Tolkien. I don't hold it against them. I even married one of them.Wink

Welcome to the Reading Room! Please consider joining our discussion of The Hobbit, which has just started.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 11 2012, 9:21pm

Post #3 of 22 (222 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

That a great many folks in the non-English-speaking world have read and enjoyed Tolkien, and more will. But not all.

I echo Curious' welcome to the Reading Room and invitation to participate in our Hobbit discussion!

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

imin
Valinor

Jul 11 2012, 11:02pm

Post #4 of 22 (187 views)
Shortcut
Quote from the Sunday Times review of The Lord of the Rings? :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I must say it's much more enjoyable,if not 10 times better than my first read through.I can understand more of Tolkien's vocabulary,and it got me so much more excited to see the movies this december.I got to chapter 3 now: A short rest,and I especially loved the trolls the chapter before.I guess that the english speaking world is divided between people who have read The Hobbit and LOTR and those who are going to read them.Wink Cheers.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 12 2012, 1:23pm

Post #5 of 22 (175 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured it was appropriate for the thread. Smile

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2012, 2:50pm

Post #6 of 22 (201 views)
Shortcut
Actually, it's not a review... [In reply to] Can't Post

The quote is from the Sunday Times magazine, dated 2nd january 1972. It's from an article about Tolkien, to mark his 80th birthday. The article is written by Bill Cater; the Sunday Times also got Lord Snowdon to take a series of photographs of Tolkien near his home in Bournemouth. Here's a link to the photo used in the article -

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portraitLarge/mw19287/John-Ronald-Reuel-Tolkien?LinkID=mp06022&role=sit&rNo=0

Cater begins his piece -

"Professor JRR Tolkien is 80 tomorrow, an occassion for celebration in a circle considerably wider than his own family; at a conservative estimate I would put that circle at maybe 50 million people and it is widening daily like a ripple on a pond. For the English-speaking world is divided into those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and those who are going to read them; while a similar position is developing in France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Finland and Japan, where translations have been published or, in a laggardly case or two, are in preparation. The sales run into millions..."

Cater was unusual in that he was a journalist who became a friend of Tolkien's. When Edith died in November 1972, Cater was one of the first people Tolkien wrote to about it. (see Letters).

Cater also wrote a very good piece on Christopher Tolkien's publication of The Silmarillion, in 1977. It's called 'The Filial duty of Christopher Tolkien'.

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 12 2012, 2:51pm

Post #7 of 22 (156 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, totally went over my head.// [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jul 12 2012, 2:54pm

Post #8 of 22 (168 views)
Shortcut
Ah geordie what would we do without you! haha. [In reply to] Can't Post

I assumed it was a review as it is on the back of my first copy of LOTR but i should have known to check it! Thanks for letting me know where it comes from.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2012, 3:01pm

Post #9 of 22 (168 views)
Shortcut
Funnily enough - [In reply to] Can't Post

- it's also on the dustrapper of the first set of LotR that I bought, too. A lot of websites say it's from a review - one says it's to be found on the dustwrapper of the 2nd edition, 1966; which would be difficult as the piece was written in 1972!

Still; that's Wiki for ya!

Wink

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2012, 3:04pm

Post #10 of 22 (146 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome. // [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2012, 3:19pm

Post #11 of 22 (171 views)
Shortcut
BTW - [In reply to] Can't Post

- there's a nice piece by Cater about Tolkien, here -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4726863/We-talked-of-love-death-and-fairy-tales.html

imin
Valinor

Jul 12 2012, 3:50pm

Post #12 of 22 (162 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for posting the link [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i have read something very similar/perhaps the very article before but it is interesting to read it nevertheless. Fits into what the thread over in main is talking about - the interview with Christopher Tolkien.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2012, 4:14pm

Post #13 of 22 (179 views)
Shortcut
We need a international Tolkien day to rectify this [In reply to] Can't Post

there is a large part of the English-speaking world which will never read Tolkien. I don't hold it against them. I even married one of them

Wink

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 12 2012, 7:55pm

Post #14 of 22 (148 views)
Shortcut
That would be awesome!// [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jul 12 2012, 8:10pm

Post #15 of 22 (140 views)
Shortcut
There is a Tolkien reading day. [In reply to] Can't Post

March 25th. Going since 2003.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2012, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 22 (143 views)
Shortcut
It needs to be compulsory! / [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jul 12 2012, 9:17pm

Post #17 of 22 (139 views)
Shortcut
I nominate Geordie to be the president of the movement! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nearly everyday is Tolkien reading day for me, lol.

Of course if you feel you would do better as president then you can make your case here, lol. I will judge because, because i want to! lol. Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2012, 9:22pm

Post #18 of 22 (154 views)
Shortcut
Geordie for President [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be Chairman of the Board Cool

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 17 2012, 1:58pm

Post #19 of 22 (120 views)
Shortcut
Well, sorry to be a blood-linist, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Can we trace Geordie's lineage to Beren, Luthien, or some prominent Dunedain? And since when do we elect anyone around here? Our leader can only come from a detailed genealogy that includes at least two Elven Kindreds and at least one of the houses of the Edain (which doesn't include the likes of Bor or Ulfang, or even Butterburs of Bree).

Though if Geordie could cough up a palantir, Ring of Felagund, or other authorized heirloom, that could make up for any possible gaps in the genealogy records. Sorry, a Ring of Power is tempting but just doesn't cut it.

Wink All in fun!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 17 2012, 3:13pm

Post #20 of 22 (120 views)
Shortcut
If geordie could do that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Though if Geordie could cough up a palantir, Ring of Felagund, or other authorized heirloom, that could make up for any possible gaps in the genealogy records. Sorry, a Ring of Power is tempting but just doesn't cut it.

he can be ruler of the world Wink

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2012, 7:44pm

Post #21 of 22 (115 views)
Shortcut
Gosh, thanks, chaps. [In reply to] Can't Post

I humbly accept. *sorry, I'm tearing up here - ahem...

You are all invited to join said movement; step right up please and form an orderly queue. There is a short initiation ceremony; nothing to worry about... there you are.. Now, stand on one leg - that's right - open your wallets and repeat after me the sacred words, 'Help yourself'.

There. All done. (and you have been).

Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 17 2012, 7:52pm

Post #22 of 22 (201 views)
Shortcut
So that's where the moth has been!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry geordie, you'll have to find a richer follower Wink

The student card might come in handy though Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.