Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly: "The Scroll" shows 10 hobbit scenes, dwarves, trolls, wargs, Beorn in bear form and more!
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 5:49am

Post #201 of 355 (24230 views)
Shortcut
Yup, there they are [In reply to] Can't Post

Different outfits and different weapons. Those scenes are definitely post-Laketown.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 5:52am

Post #202 of 355 (23383 views)
Shortcut
Yes, unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

We have...

The behind-the-scenes clips of the barrel ride sequence clearly show Bifur with that idiotic head ornament.

PJ can get some things soooo right, and then quickly spoil it with something soooo wrong.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 10 2012, 5:52am)

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Jul 10 2012, 5:55am

Post #203 of 355 (21222 views)
Shortcut
This is all too overwhelming [In reply to] Can't Post

Information overload!!

It's amazing how they summed up all of the main events of the first film in this scroll.

Thorin looks so majestic and regal, I am now wholeheartedly certain RA is perfect for this role (his eyes say it all).

Beorn and the wolves look perfect! I assume they're going to explain that the wargs in LOTR are mutants of the wolves in The Hobbit, cross-bred by Saruman like the Uruks.

It's a bit disconcerting (although I know I'm jumping the gun here) to see Glamdring with Gandalf in the first scene. Of course this is all photoshopped in, so this Gandalf may be cut out from a scene post-trollshaw. I just REAAALLY hope they include Glamdring in the troll stash, and have it glow along with Orcrist and sting. Screw continuity!!! Laugh

Bilbo holding a glowing Sting in the Mirkwood forest... could it be that goblins are present as well the spiders? Or is this taken from another scene?

I do believe that bridge goes to Thranduil's halls, but it doesn't make sense that the dwarves are walking in freely, with no Elven guards (I assume they will be tied up when they enter the halls).

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 6:04am

Post #204 of 355 (20960 views)
Shortcut
Why does everyone think the previous wargs need explaining? [In reply to] Can't Post

They can simply be silently accepted as a different breed of warg (these are the northern kind!). There's no reason to shrink Middle Earth by unnecessarily explaining away every mystery.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 6:05am

Post #205 of 355 (20880 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on continuity [In reply to] Can't Post

I find absolutely no value in it! Smile

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 6:14am

Post #206 of 355 (23766 views)
Shortcut
you sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the highest res version I think I can vaguely see the shape of the lonely mountain looking as it does on the map in the book.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 6:15am

Post #207 of 355 (24001 views)
Shortcut
The annoying thing about Turner is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not just that he doesn't have a beard, but that he doesn't even have an interesting face. He looks like quite a standard, modern, decent-looking suburban young adult.

They could have at least chosen someone with interesting, or more chiseled, facial bone structure.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 10 2012, 6:16am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 6:17am

Post #208 of 355 (23569 views)
Shortcut
It may be a composite image [In reply to] Can't Post

featuring a few of the things that will be addressed at Rivendell? IOW Gandalf and Galadriel may not actually be standing behind Elrond in the moment Elrond is shown. And there is something weird going on with the lighting around Elrond, and the shadow he is casting across the table.

Incidentally, in the language of cinema, two figures framed by an archway or doorway (or sometimes a window) is code for they are a couple, or are otherwise committed to each other in a profound way. This really makes me wonder if the view of Gandalf and Galadriel is through the archway at all? And what of the insertion of Elrond between them?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 6:23am

Post #209 of 355 (21491 views)
Shortcut
If an adaptation needn't be slavish [In reply to] Can't Post

then neither should a prequel, no?Wink

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 6:32am

Post #210 of 355 (24378 views)
Shortcut
Whateveh, I do what I want!(I hate having to fill in a subject EVERY single time:) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's also tragic when solid characters that look middle-aged, or even old, die untimely deaths.

IMO, there's no need to "amp that up" by making Fili and Kili look like teenagers.

I didn't say that, I said that no matter what they looked like, their probable "role" in the story would be the same so their role in the story really has nothing to do with what they look like. They look like they look for whatever reason, but their place in the story, IMO, was always going to be the same.

It was always going to "amped up" - let's face it, almost none of the dwarves other than Thorin had much "face time" in the book, most of them were lucky if they had more than a couple of lines in the whole book.

So IMO they were always going to flesh out Kili and Fili's roles in particular and their relationship with Thorin due to the fact they are his heirs and they DIE. It isn't middle aged dwarves or old dwarves who die(except Thorin), it's two young dwarves.

I've often read that it was perhaps a little commentary by Tolkien, the whole idea of young men, full of promise and with their whole lives ahead of them, dying in "older men's wars" which was a big thing about WWI. That is what is usually the case, but due to the massive wholesale slaughter of millions of the young men of much of Western Europe in that war, it was a particularly big deal.

How they look has nothing to do with whether or not they are "solid" characters either, which also means even if they don't have much in the way of prosthetics and look cute, if they are well written and well portrayed that should have no effect on whether or not they are solid characters. People judging the characters based on whether or not they look "dwarvish" enough(given the fact that they are in line for dwarf height and such) are just as guilty of being shallow as those who for whom the supposed fanservice was done for, IMO.

And IMO Tolkien made a bit of a big deal in The Hobbit that Fili and Kili were younger and more agile, etc, etc so even if you don't like the way the film has gone about showing that, they were always IMO going to look like young adults(they certainly don't look like teenagers to me, I think that's a real exaggeration), given they were quite a bit younger than almost everyone else, the filmmakers were going to make them look that way. Not do the "all dwarves look the same age until they are 220". :) Because it's another tool for differentiating the character - the fashions and hairstyles and the ages are all ways of doing that.

It seems to me all PJ did in that regards, leaving use of prosthetics aside for making them look or not look "dwarvish" according to some, was to increase the age a bit where young dwarves still look "young" as opposed to the "one size fits all" age that effects most dwarves after they reach a certain age until they get very old. So he's done it in such a way that you've young adult dwarves, middle aged dwarves of various shapes and sizes which make up the bulk of the rest and a couple dwarves perhaps bordering on an older age.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 6:40am

Post #211 of 355 (23176 views)
Shortcut
.... I can see PJ doing that ... / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 6:41am

Post #212 of 355 (22960 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for these QT [In reply to] Can't Post

I had forgotten that there was even a bridge!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 6:43am

Post #213 of 355 (23516 views)
Shortcut
It's a new domain name though? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if they will be switching over?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 6:46am

Post #214 of 355 (23472 views)
Shortcut
Sorry QT.... [In reply to] Can't Post

You were the only person to reply to my joke. Frown

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 6:47am

Post #215 of 355 (20772 views)
Shortcut
scrolling across that picture felt like reading the book [In reply to] Can't Post

that was awesome, everything looks perfect. These movies are going to be so epic, The Hobbit is the best fantasy story ever

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 6:56am

Post #216 of 355 (21435 views)
Shortcut
Night/dark theme [In reply to] Can't Post

All of these "scenes", excluding Rivendell, are during the night. Although lighter, the last two "scenes" are comparatively dark(er).

I hadn't really noticed this was the case before. Everything happens in the dark!

namarie
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 7:06am

Post #217 of 355 (20884 views)
Shortcut
I think we just had a look [In reply to] Can't Post

at the entire first movie from the beginning till the end :) The entire picture is gorgeous. I'm out of words.

There is always hope

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10 2012, 7:15am

Post #218 of 355 (23431 views)
Shortcut
It now redirects to "http://wwws.warnerbros.co.uk/thehobbitpart1" [In reply to] Can't Post

That site has the same content as thehobbit.com Crazy

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 7:34am

Post #219 of 355 (23499 views)
Shortcut
I also dislike the overuse of prosthetics [In reply to] Can't Post

All I think would have been nice is a proper beard (short or long), and some interesting facial features.

As it stands, Turner simply looks like a modern young adult playing at being a dwarf in a fantasy film. For me, this will lessen the impact of his character arc, IMO.

Perhaps that is superficial. But film is a visual medium, and if I cannot accept a character as existing in Middle Earth, it will be difficult for me to absorb his story.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 7:51am

Post #220 of 355 (20710 views)
Shortcut
May I just say I'm happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and go away and lose myself scrolling the scroll! It's magical - I can't wait for the film...Smile

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 8:02am

Post #221 of 355 (23427 views)
Shortcut
I kind of feel the same way [In reply to] Can't Post

For me he's the one that I'm still not quite sure about as appearing dwarf-like. But I did bring up this point last year when the pics first came out: We can only go by what he looks like, at the moment. We haven't seen enough of him in action in the movie. It's possible that he might come off completely believable as a dwarf in the movie.

We still have to take into account how he's going to act, sound, talk, move, and his height appearance when next to humans. It is quite possible (and I'm holding out hope) that if all of these OTHER elements are done right, we might almost forget that he doesn't really look very Dwarven, when he acts, sounds, talks, and moves like a believable dwarf. But that's still up in the air for now.

I just kind of wish that they had let him have his long beard like he did at the conference thing and have less straight hair. Even his long curly hair at the conference thing looked more dwarven than his hair does in the movie. But we will have to wait and see how his performance turns out.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 8:09am

Post #222 of 355 (23677 views)
Shortcut
All Wargs are Wolves [In reply to] Can't Post

but all Wolves are not Wargs.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 8:40am

Post #223 of 355 (20728 views)
Shortcut
*SPASM! kerplunk* [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG!!! This has just totally spiked my geek-o-meter! *tearing* WOW!!! WOW!!!! I need to spend a whole day just going over and over and over this thing! HOW CRUEL!!! HOW DELICIOUSLY TORMENTING!!! WOW!! I want this to be one of those scrolling desktop backgrounds we had for LotR!!

THANKS FOR THIS!! I'm so freaking busy right now I haven't had time to get lost in this as I need to be!

*spins in chair* WOW!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Foromir
Rivendell

Jul 10 2012, 9:05am

Post #224 of 355 (20501 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

The different parts/scenes of the image could almost be used as illustrations for a new Hobbit book edition. Note that they cover almost every chapeter nicely.

Foromir
Rivendell

Jul 10 2012, 9:08am

Post #225 of 355 (23115 views)
Shortcut
Obviously we have a new love triangle! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Incidentally, in the language of cinema, two figures framed by an archway or doorway (or sometimes a window) is code for they are a couple, or are otherwise committed to each other in a profound way. This really makes me wonder if the view of Gandalf and Galadriel is through the archway at all? And what of the insertion of Elrond between them?

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.