Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly: "The Scroll" shows 10 hobbit scenes, dwarves, trolls, wargs, Beorn in bear form and more!
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 2:21am

Post #176 of 355 (23028 views)
Shortcut
Actually.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's spoilers for those who have... It probably just looks confusing to those that haven't.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 2:28am

Post #177 of 355 (22916 views)
Shortcut
Is it just wishful thinking on my part [In reply to] Can't Post

or does Bifur not have an axe in his head in the barrel?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2012, 2:37am

Post #178 of 355 (22908 views)
Shortcut
Wishful thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just obscured by his black hair.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 2:44am

Post #179 of 355 (22608 views)
Shortcut
I guess Voronwe wanted it to be ...wait for it... [In reply to] Can't Post

AXED Shocked

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Jul 10 2012, 3:06am

Post #180 of 355 (22537 views)
Shortcut
hahahaha, very honored, mellon ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jul 10 2012, 3:07am

Post #181 of 355 (22778 views)
Shortcut
I notice that Kili is featured more than any other Dwarf on the banner [In reply to] Can't Post

He can be made out clearly in every "scene" of the Dwarves.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

(This post was edited by Buchanicus on Jul 10 2012, 3:07am)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 3:10am

Post #182 of 355 (22765 views)
Shortcut
I'm still not convinced // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Finrod
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 3:18am

Post #183 of 355 (23150 views)
Shortcut
Master Elrond, the Healer [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond is known to have especial skill at extracting iron implements from very touchy spots. Maybe he pulled the axe-blade out of the Dwarf’s head when they were at Rivendell.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 3:24am

Post #184 of 355 (23573 views)
Shortcut
I like that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hall of Fire

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 3:29am

Post #185 of 355 (24043 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand of course that this is Entertainment Weekly and they're going to focus on sex appeal, but imo this amply demonstrates how Kili's image is a purely commercial decision. Hopefully he wont be used as much - and in the same way - in the film as he is in the promotion, stinking it all up with this pandering, gratuitous fanservice. Honestly, it reeks of Warner Bros.

I doubt that you'll get your wish, as I assume, given how they end, that Kili and Fili will have among the more prominent dwarf roles. They'll want to be able to play up their fate to maximum effect and honestly, IMO, that would be the case, no matter what they looked like. It just makes sense. It's tragic, they are young and energetic and hopeful and they die, and it's directly related to "Thorin's Folly". IMO that's not pandering, that's good storytelling, I always assumed that for the film, they were going to play up Thorin and his relationship with his nephews, flesh out Kili and Fili's characters so the audience would become attached to them. How they look may or may not be pandering, but their probable place in the story makes perfect dramatic sense.

That said I don't disagree that some of that probably played into WB's choices for use in the photo scroll.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 10 2012, 3:29am

Post #186 of 355 (24141 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent theory, Finrod.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2012, 3:32am

Post #187 of 355 (22594 views)
Shortcut
Haven't we seen him with the axehead [In reply to] Can't Post

In scenes taking place after Rivendell?

kimber

Jul 10 2012, 4:09am

Post #188 of 355 (22725 views)
Shortcut
A visible hobbit perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that this is the bridge to the elvenking's halls, but looking at the hi-res picture I think these 13 figures are 12 dwarves plus a visible Bilbo second in line. If the movie follows the book Thorin should already be inside. Or is this the 13 dwarves and Bilbo is invisible?

The dwarves have no elven guard bringing them in, so maybe the movie has them entering of their own will, seeking help or following Thorin? Definitely looks like a change in their mode/motivation of arrival.

kimber

Jul 10 2012, 4:25am

Post #189 of 355 (22710 views)
Shortcut
just wolves [In reply to] Can't Post

To me it looks like a wolf howling straight up, with two others entering from the woods. Hard to see though. I don't think we need Radagast to ride to the rescue in this scene, though who knows where he will be inserted into the story?

kimber

Jul 10 2012, 4:35am

Post #190 of 355 (22500 views)
Shortcut
White council? [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that given the three characters present, this is a scene from a (partial) White Council meeting and Elrond is considering some sort of evidence about the necromancer's activities: an evil blade unwrapped from its cloth (the wavy thing it is on looks more like cloth than paper) with an accompanying message. Maybe a message sent from Radagast or Saruman since neither is pictured?

I am so eager to see how the White Council is dealt with in the movies, and especially to see Christopher Lee again!

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 4:40am

Post #191 of 355 (23242 views)
Shortcut
Some possible post-barrels/movie 2 moments [In reply to] Can't Post

For what it's worth, I posted this about a month ago:

Dwalin and Gloin crossing a creek (v-log 5). I think Dwalin is holding a different weapon than the war hammer or axes of before.

Bilbo wearing a different coat and gloves with Gloin in robes in the background.

Ori sneaking into frame behind PJ, wearing robes

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Jul 10 2012, 4:42am)

kimber

Jul 10 2012, 4:47am

Post #192 of 355 (23353 views)
Shortcut
Not a map [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond needs to look at the map of Erebor in the moon light, and Bilbo and some dwarves should be around when he does, so I don't think this is it. Perhaps some message for him, Galadriel, and Gandalf, sent along with the evil blade?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 5:34am

Post #193 of 355 (22993 views)
Shortcut
That is a warg or wolf sitting on his haunches and howling [In reply to] Can't Post

And those are some other wargs/wolves emerging from the trees.

So, no Radagast or any ponies.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 5:36am

Post #194 of 355 (22986 views)
Shortcut
I'm willing to bet that Beorn will be blonde [In reply to] Can't Post

And that when in bear form, there will be a hint of blonde hair on his head and upper back (while otherwise being brown/black).

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 5:38am

Post #195 of 355 (22400 views)
Shortcut
You misunderstood me [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean that there will be some blonde on Beorn the bear. Namely, the hanging hair. That is why I was distinguishing the seemingly light-colored hair on his head, with what looks to be an overall dark brown/black color.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 5:43am

Post #196 of 355 (22746 views)
Shortcut
They will have different clothes post-Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the on location vlogs, which show the dwarves after Laketown (seemingly near the Mountain), show Gloin and Ori with very different clothes on (they look like ceremonial garb given by the Laketown residents).

So we will definitely be seeing some different-looking dwarves for film 2.

I'm delighted by that. I love when characters go through major costume changes (such as Pippin, Merry and Aragorn in ROTK).

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 5:46am

Post #197 of 355 (23070 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also tragic when solid characters that look middle-aged, or even old, die untimely deaths.

IMO, there's no need to "amp that up" by making Fili and Kili look like teenagers.

Marillë by the Sea
Rivendell

Jul 10 2012, 5:46am

Post #198 of 355 (22723 views)
Shortcut
Probably very little relevance [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering how this is a composite shot, I bet the people responsible for this scroll just slapped that morgul blade in there to include as much information as possible.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 5:47am

Post #199 of 355 (22861 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe it's just a photoshop job, and the elves were not included [In reply to] Can't Post

More likely, I'd say. Smile

Marillë by the Sea
Rivendell

Jul 10 2012, 5:48am

Post #200 of 355 (23175 views)
Shortcut
Those look like three wolves [In reply to] Can't Post

The one you think is Radagast is just a wolf howling.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.