Okay, I'll ask it.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 10:09pm

Post #1 of 28 (1697 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I'll ask it. Can't Post

I hereby solemnly promise to read the FAQ more thoroughly when I have time.

Till then...

What's "Library URL" for?

Right now I have [a href=www.wallingford.lioninc.org/]this[/a] there, but somehow I don't think that's what it's for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, clearly "[ ]" doesn't work.

TORn – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 10:17pm

Post #2 of 28 (1452 views)
Shortcut
An anomoly [In reply to] Can't Post

that came with gforum, for people who have a "LibraryThing" page. You can ignore it, or put another url in it if you need another space besides your home page, etc.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 10:28pm

Post #3 of 28 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Re: An anomoly [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I just discovered LibraryThing, and it's the coolest thing since... well, here.

It would be interesting to wander around sibs' libraries.

Merci bien! (See, to avoid boredom on your part, I'll just start thanking you in different languages. Next will be "spa`sibo".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Feb 17 2007, 10:49pm

Post #4 of 28 (1423 views)
Shortcut
I Love Library Thing! [nt] [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 10:58pm

Post #5 of 28 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well it's a good "thing" it's there then, huh? Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Joelle
Bree

Feb 17 2007, 11:37pm

Post #6 of 28 (1408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerlinn] An anomoly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Actually, I just discovered LibraryThing, and it's the coolest thing since... well, here.

It would be interesting to wander around sibs' libraries.

Merci bien! (See, to avoid boredom on your part, I'll just start thanking you in different languages. Next will be "spa`sibo".

I stumbled across it a couple weeks ago and was grinning like an idiot after finding my name in there under the authors. After some research I found out it was one of one of the people my sister knows whose library I had found.

"In the end the shadow is only a small and passing thing; there is light and high beauty foever beyond its reach"- J.R.R Tolkien

TheLonelyIsle.net
My pseudofiction novel

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 17 2007, 11:47pm

Post #7 of 28 (1435 views)
Shortcut
OK: Must know how come some users are "registered" and some are [In reply to] Can't Post

"the Shire"?

I did read FAQs, I just can't FIND it (she whines).

Seriously, how come some nicks have "the Shire" and some (like mine) have old boring "Registered User"?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2007, 11:50pm

Post #8 of 28 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Go here: [In reply to] Can't Post

to the FAQ, and it's #2.39. Let's see if I can post a link:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=50;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_expanded;

After ten posts you get "Shire" appended to your name. There are other, designations when you post more.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then I had liposuction.

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 11:50pm

Post #9 of 28 (1418 views)
Shortcut
FAQ # 2.39 [In reply to] Can't Post

(though I just noticed there are two 2.39s Blush - curse MS Word!) Btw, nice to see you here, a.s.! Smile

I noticed that different users have different titles under their usernames ... what do they mean? The titles listed under members’ usernames are automatically assigned by the system and are based on the total number of posts that a user has created on the message boards. They represent the journey the members of the Fellowship of the Ring made through Middle-earth and beyond, and are based on the following post counts:

Up to 9 posts: Registered User
10 to 49 posts: The Shire
50 to 99 posts: Bree
100 to 249 posts: Rivendell
250 to 499 posts: Lorien
500 to 999 posts: Rohan
1000 to 1999 posts: Gondor
2000 to 2999 posts: Tol Eressea
Over 3000 posts: Valinor

These titles do not carry any authority or prestige. It’s just a fun way to “walk in the footsteps” of the Fellowship, and it also represents the fellowship we have here on the boards!

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 17 2007, 11:51pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 12:05am

Post #10 of 28 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Altaira] FAQ # 2.39 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(though I just noticed there are two 2.39s Blush - curse MS Word!) Btw, nice to see you here, a.s.! Smile

curses, foiled once again by my inability to read faqs without my eyes glazing over!!!! Blush nice to be here! a.s.

"an seileachan"

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 12:42am

Post #11 of 28 (1406 views)
Shortcut
So sort of like [In reply to] Can't Post

being a Forum Member, only earned sorta, and with all the perks and privileges! Woo hoo!

You should be in Valinor in no time, luv.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 1:08am

Post #12 of 28 (1385 views)
Shortcut
OK, wait. What is [In reply to] Can't Post

Library Thing? If so many cool people here like a Thing, I must like a Thing, too!!!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

JPB
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 1:11am

Post #13 of 28 (1429 views)
Shortcut
LibraryThing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

LibraryThing is a place you can easily catalog your entire collection of books online for you to use, and for other people to see. Smile It's fantastic. And it is located here. You can tag books with multiple tags, all sorts of stuff.

Blush I use it to make sure I don't purchase a book I already own while at a bookstore or on Amazon. Blush

(This post was edited by JPB on Feb 18 2007, 1:14am)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 1:16am

Post #14 of 28 (1431 views)
Shortcut
LibraryThing is [In reply to] Can't Post

a place I stumble on looking for info on a book (a google accident): it's http://www.librarything.com - and for the life of me I can't make that a link. *back to the faq I go*

Basically, it's a place where you can keep track of - in a very detailed way, totally customized to you - either the books you're reading, or the books you own. It's free up to, 200 titles, and after that there's a one-time fee (or an annual one, but why would you?). Oh, and you can have friend lists (like all the TORnadoes who are over there!), and get pretty specialized "if you like - - then you'll like - -" lists, and see who else owns your favorite book and what they think of it... It's a bibliophile's equivalent of a candy shop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 1:20am

Post #15 of 28 (1395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerlinn] LibraryThing is [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, thanks JPB and Aerlinn. I will check it out.

JPB: are you new? Or do I just not recognize your nick? Or...wait, are you one of those oldtimers who has come back to enjoy the new Torn? Any way, thanks for the answer.

Sly

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 1:25am

Post #16 of 28 (1366 views)
Shortcut
How do! [In reply to] Can't Post

Were you an Old TORnado under another name, or did the new boards lure you in? If you don't mind my asking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JPB
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 1:29am

Post #17 of 28 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a.s. & Aerlinn] How do! [In reply to] Can't Post

a.s / Aerlinn: I am a person who is a TOR.n chatroom moderator (jincey's side of things, if you have heard of her), and with the announcement of the new boards, I am taking a peek in and seeing what all the happy commotion is about on its launch day. Smile You've got a great group here, and I know Jincey would say that any of you are certainly welcome in the chatrooms too, found under the Barliman's link to the left... Smile Off to cook dinner!

(This post was edited by JPB on Feb 18 2007, 1:33am)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 3:45am

Post #18 of 28 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Nice to meet you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks. Welcome to the chatroom's slower cousin (sorry if all the cheering and yelling seeped through the walls... they might need to insulate better).

Bon appetit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wynnie
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 1:09pm

Post #19 of 28 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reminder! [In reply to] Can't Post

I started a LibraryThing library a while ago, but never added much beyond my Tolkien collection. Guess I should add the URL to my profile here.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=Wynnie

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

(This post was edited by Wynnie on Feb 18 2007, 1:18pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 3:59pm

Post #20 of 28 (1353 views)
Shortcut
geez, how long does it take? [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked and would like to do it, but it seems incredibly long to add all the books, etc. I mean, just looking up Tolkien books on Amazon and/or LOC, I chose the wrong editions, etc. Now I have to go back and correct!!??

Seriously, doesn't it take forever? Even manually entering my (mumbles under breath so no one will know the embarrassingly awful number of books I own, including the ones stashed under my bed/by my desk/in the bathroom/on windowsills, etc) # of books by just title and author could take quite a while.

Not sure I understand the concept yet---why so many people are listing the books they own---but since so many people here whose opinions I trust seem to like Library Thing, I promise to try it.

Eventually.

After I clean my house, get my car fixed, go grocery shopping, read my new job manuals, and live life.

Angelic

a.s. (seriously, now...doesn't it take just too much time, or what am I missing here???)

"an seileachan"

Wynnie
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 5:06pm

Post #21 of 28 (1335 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I started my library because a couple of co-workers were raving about the site, but I also found it rather time-consuming. I think the best way to zero in on the right edition is to search by ISBN (international standard book number) or LC card number, but you won't be able to do that unless you sit by the computer with a pile of books, checking the verso of each title page. Not all of the books I looked for were there (at least not the editions I owned). I remember I scanned in at least one book cover, I think for one of my horse racing books.

My two friends who love the site opted for the paid version, and are cataloging their entire personal libraries. I can see where it would be nice to do that, if you had the time and inclination.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 5:22pm

Post #22 of 28 (1322 views)
Shortcut
OMG, you too? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have books EVERYWHERE, and I just pruned them a year ago. I'm starting to pack to move to my new place and I have too many books stashed in places other than shelves. I can't get rid of them, though, so I guess I just have to get more bookshelves.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Alnilam
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 6:02pm

Post #23 of 28 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Buying books is an addiction. [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to keep my "read" books organized in a way that I can find them easily. The unread ones are just in piles. I have managed to keep the level of "unread" books manageable because I borrow a lot of stuff from the library. But it's hard with all the book fairs they have around here. :-(

My collection is not too big right now because I moved countries a few years ago and left about half of my books behind. But I think registering a collection online would take time away from actually reading the book. Plus, it wouldn't really help you locate a book that's somewhere in your house if you need it, right? Tongue

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards:
Top 5 Browsers/OSs:

1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Feb 18 2007, 8:54pm

Post #24 of 28 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerlinn] An anomoly [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, it *is* the coolest thing!

I've just signed up myself. It's guaranteed to take tons of time and be extremely detailed -- right up my alley! Heart

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 9:35pm

Post #25 of 28 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [entmaiden] OMG, you too? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have books EVERYWHERE, and I just pruned them a year ago. I'm starting to pack to move to my new place and I have too many books stashed in places other than shelves. I can't get rid of them, though, so I guess I just have to get more bookshelves.

well, I admit to always buying more books, although I have become more discriminating. I have given hundreds of books to the library book sales over the last couple of years. I almost never buy any "modern" novels; things I know I'll only read once I get from the library. But I still buy too many. Let's just say that I always buy more books than I have shelf space for. My shelf space never keeps up with my book acquistions. It's...a vice, I suppose. But it's not harming anyone!

I'm sure, given the number of readers here, you and I can't be the only ones with the "shelf space-can't-keep-up-with-books-acquired" problem behavior.

Sly

Right now it's even worse, because I am trying to re-do my "home office" (this junky room here with my desk, computer, a comfy chair, and an old set of bookshelves that just HAD to go). So right now, I have books sitting everywhere I look.

And I sorta like it. I just reach over to this or that pile and if everything falls down, I don't even have to straighten it up!! I can just say, "oh excuse the mess, we're re-doing this room".

Wonder how long I can milk this?

Wink

Anyway, the thought of trying to wade through all these books to catalog them for Library Thing is sort of making me not want to do it. Maybe I'll just list the books I really want to talk about with other people? Probably everyone doesn't REALLY list every single book they own...do they?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.