Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly: "The Scroll" shows 10 hobbit scenes, dwarves, trolls, wargs, Beorn in bear form and more!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 11:47pm

Post #126 of 355 (23536 views)
Shortcut
PJ did say that he was going to explore the geopolitics of Middle-earth ... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 11:48pm

Post #127 of 355 (24091 views)
Shortcut
Why, oh why, is there a time limit on editing posts!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

artemy
Lorien

Jul 9 2012, 11:49pm

Post #128 of 355 (23576 views)
Shortcut
I think the bridge may have been taken out of context [In reply to] Can't Post

As by rights if it leads to Thranduil's halls then it should be in the forest; the ivy at the base of the bridge makes me think that it has been pasted into the mountain scenery to better fit with the barrels below.

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 11:50pm

Post #129 of 355 (23042 views)
Shortcut
Clearly so I can annoy you by correcting you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2012, 11:50pm

Post #130 of 355 (23185 views)
Shortcut
Obviously agreed. :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 11:52pm

Post #131 of 355 (23351 views)
Shortcut
What's "anothie," precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2012, 11:56pm

Post #132 of 355 (23280 views)
Shortcut
It's the cute Lego Bilbo version [In reply to] Can't Post

See the front page/collecting board for more.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 12:08am

Post #133 of 355 (23125 views)
Shortcut
love Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Love Bear Beorn, he looks amazing...and Thorin looks more like I'd hoped he would (the older variation.)

Still bummed about Armitage chickening out regarding the beard, but I'm sure I'll forget that when I see what a great job he does nailing my favorite Tolkien character.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 12:11am

Post #134 of 355 (23515 views)
Shortcut
Chickening out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Armitage never said he originally had a long beard.

All he said was that he decided to grow his own beard for block 2, as he felt it was easier to act without the prosthetics on his jaw (very reasonable).

All indications, including all the vlog clips we saw of block 1 shooting, point to Armitage always having had a short beard.

The idea that he asked for a short beard is, as far as I am aware, a myth.

This was most likely a design decision by PJ and crew, and likely had nothing to do with Armitage's input.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 12:13am

Post #135 of 355 (23085 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone who really does not know the story has no notion that these events are sequential. And even if they guess that there is a sequencing, it still doesn't add up. Bilbo is alone fleeing the wargs in the picture, the essential scene of the capture by the goblins and the rescue by Gandalf are absent, the trolls are lurking in the forest but they haven't caught anything, Beorn is just a bear in the forest. Evidently Gandalf is friends with moths, eagles and bears as well. Nothing is really a give away. An average trailer gives away much more.

In Reply To
We *know* these are spoilers, since we know the arc of the general story. To someone who has never read the books, it's just a series of images, highlights of scenes that lacks context; "Oh there'll be barrel scenes" blah blah blah. Nothing different than a trailer that shows a clip from the final fight of a film, the audience has no where or how but in retrospect you could technically argue it's a spoiler.

Besides, it's a 60+ year old book. Spoilers aren't too big of a concern, except for possibly the Dol Guldor (spelling?) storyline, which is a bit more mysterious right now. That's probably where the big surprises of the story will be.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 12:19am

Post #136 of 355 (23310 views)
Shortcut
The high res version confirms [In reply to] Can't Post

That the figure in question is indeed a howling warg.

I was hoping for Bolg, but no luck.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 12:25am

Post #137 of 355 (23246 views)
Shortcut
I thought the Mumakil were perfect. Remember, their lesser cousins [In reply to] Can't Post

who still dwell on Earth are but shadows of their former girth and majesty, so it would not do at all for the Oliphaunts, The Mumak of Harad, to be only slightly larger than a normal African Elephant.

There are pre-historic bears that were up to 14 feet high.

And of course, Earth's history is full of giagantic creatures, from Spinosaurus and Ultrasauraus to the great whales. These events are set in an ancient time, in The Age of Wonder one could say. A bit of unusual girth won't hurt credulity.

In Reply To
That is not a normal-sized bear. It is very large (through reasonably so), and if it existed in our world, would likely be considered to be one of the largest bears alive.

I hope he does remain that size, as having a bear that is within the realm of possibility in our world will make, IMO, for more convincing cinema. I always thought the mumakil were far too massive, and would have looked much more interesting if they were closer to real battle elephant size (though a little bigger). As they were, they were somewhat unconvincing.

This Beorn looks great (also notice the locks of longish hair that hang down on the side of his head - to indicate that this is a man-bear?).

Also, given GDT's focus on "silhouettes," is anyone but me seeing this reflected here? From the dwarves to the wargs to Beorn, I really get a sense of GDT's visual influence on the characters... Though I'm sure PJ's influence is just as strong.

This really has gotten me excited.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 10 2012, 12:29am

Post #138 of 355 (23142 views)
Shortcut
As if I needed to be more excited. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is *BLEEP*-ing awesome! Smile

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 12:40am

Post #139 of 355 (23242 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's house [In reply to] Can't Post

You remember the discussion of the big wig guy from those images someone took of location shooting at Beorn's house that we were all too cheap to buy the high res versions of?? The big wig thing had light hair.

My guess is Beorn will be blonde.

Edit: This thread is moving too fast for me. What Carne just said!

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Jul 10 2012, 12:45am)

artemy
Lorien

Jul 10 2012, 12:48am

Post #140 of 355 (22829 views)
Shortcut
The only evidence of Beorn I remember seeing [In reply to] Can't Post

were some potential pieces of concept art, and the huge chair John Howe was sitting in during one vlog which I am certain belongs in Beorn's house, judging by its size and rustic, homely surroundings.

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 10 2012, 12:48am)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 12:53am

Post #141 of 355 (22853 views)
Shortcut
I still have the link :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ready to shell out the cash Shelob??

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Jul 10 2012, 12:53am)

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2012, 12:55am

Post #142 of 355 (23091 views)
Shortcut
He looks black to me [In reply to] Can't Post

The lighter bits are where his fur is catching the moonlight.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 12:58am

Post #143 of 355 (23340 views)
Shortcut
But that doesn't hold [In reply to] Can't Post

With the long hair that hangs in front of his face, as that part of Beorn is not lit, but in shadow. Even in shadow, that hair is lighter than the rest.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 12:58am

Post #144 of 355 (23717 views)
Shortcut
I know, and I have already gushed over it [In reply to] Can't Post

Just want to show appreciation for all who try to keep us in the know. It's hard to keep up with what's already been posted when it comes this fast.

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2012, 12:59am

Post #145 of 355 (23024 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Armitage said that they started out as rather extreme versions of themselves, and scaled back accordingly. He believes the jaw is important to acting, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he requesting a short beard.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 12:59am

Post #146 of 355 (22612 views)
Shortcut
Send it to me for free [In reply to] Can't Post

And I will never disagree with you again. Ever.

Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 1:01am

Post #147 of 355 (23164 views)
Shortcut
Why is Sting glowing in Mirkwood? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does it glow when Spiders are present?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 1:01am

Post #148 of 355 (22931 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

But there's no evidence to suggest that the beard was ever very long.

I think a youngish, short-bearded Thorin was a very early design decision by PJ and company. The decision to cast Armitage being one indication of that.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 10 2012, 1:01am)

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 1:06am

Post #149 of 355 (23092 views)
Shortcut
Amazing!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I am SO excited. And all my favorite characters make good appearances. :)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 1:06am

Post #150 of 355 (23392 views)
Shortcut
My hypothesis... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is Beorn turns into a polar bear for the Battle of Five Armies, and Thorin rides him into the fray! (that is the real truth behind the white creature Richard Taylor is on).
Why? Because Thorin has to outdo Dain and his crazy undomesticated pig mount!

You just wait and see...Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.