Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly: "The Scroll" shows 10 hobbit scenes, dwarves, trolls, wargs, Beorn in bear form and more!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2012, 10:43pm

Post #76 of 355 (23385 views)
Shortcut
reply to danielb [In reply to] Can't Post

The map hes holding is erebor's..hes wearing the golden costume from the previous map scene..his white council costume is a purple one , as was shown on the 3rd videoblog...i think they mixed the table with him from another scene...

The rivendell background behind gandi and galadriel looks like the fellowship of the ring rivendell hmmmmm...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 10:44pm

Post #77 of 355 (23373 views)
Shortcut
Beorn is perfect. And HUGE. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is not a normal-sized bear. It is very large (through reasonably so), and if it existed in our world, would likely be considered to be one of the largest bears alive.

I hope he does remain that size, as having a bear that is within the realm of possibility in our world will make, IMO, for more convincing cinema. I always thought the mumakil were far too massive, and would have looked much more interesting if they were closer to real battle elephant size (though a little bigger). As they were, they were somewhat unconvincing.

This Beorn looks great (also notice the locks of longish hair that hang down on the side of his head - to indicate that this is a man-bear?).

Also, given GDT's focus on "silhouettes," is anyone but me seeing this reflected here? From the dwarves to the wargs to Beorn, I really get a sense of GDT's visual influence on the characters... Though I'm sure PJ's influence is just as strong.

This really has gotten me excited.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 9 2012, 10:45pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 10:44pm

Post #78 of 355 (23304 views)
Shortcut
It probably is the Erebor map [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only suggesting it since you spotted it was the Morgul blade. I just presumed they might have a map of Dol Guldur as well? Crazy

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 9 2012, 10:45pm

Post #79 of 355 (23240 views)
Shortcut
Context.. [In reply to] Can't Post

We *know* these are spoilers, since we know the arc of the general story. To someone who has never read the books, it's just a series of images, highlights of scenes that lacks context; "Oh there'll be barrel scenes" blah blah blah. Nothing different than a trailer that shows a clip from the final fight of a film, the audience has no where or how but in retrospect you could technically argue it's a spoiler.

Besides, it's a 60+ year old book. Spoilers aren't too big of a concern, except for possibly the Dol Guldor (spelling?) storyline, which is a bit more mysterious right now. That's probably where the big surprises of the story will be.

Not_the_beard
The Shire

Jul 9 2012, 10:45pm

Post #80 of 355 (23423 views)
Shortcut
Marketing ploy? [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that the goblins haven't been featured at all in the marketing thus far might actually be the filmmakers trying to keep their appearance a surprise for those who haven't read the book. Imagine the audience's surprise when goblins pop out of the nice quiet cave when they had no idea Goblins would be in the film.

Unfortunately this might backfire. One thing that I think hurt the first trailer was its locations weren't very diverse. We pretty much just saw Hobbiton, Rivendel, and Dol Guldur. Keeping the goblins a secret will definitely make the film's scale seem a lot smaller in the marketing of the film.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 10:47pm

Post #81 of 355 (23850 views)
Shortcut
This is where I am a little dubious [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not entirely convinced this is the bear we will actually get to see.

The picture is mixed with photographs, but heavily, heavily photoshopped. Some cases it is obvious (the food on Bilbo's table), other cases not so much (Gandariel behind Elrond).

Is this actually Beorn, the eagles and the wolves - or are they drawings (concept art) and a bit of photoshop?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2012, 10:49pm

Post #82 of 355 (22989 views)
Shortcut
reply to danielb [In reply to] Can't Post

They will have a map of mirkwood for sure...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 10:50pm

Post #83 of 355 (23192 views)
Shortcut
Hard to tell [In reply to] Can't Post

But since the characters we know are all accurately represented, I don't see why they would misrepresent the others.

My guess is that the wargs, Beorn in bear form, and the trolls, will pretty much look like that.

If so, I will be thrilled.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 10:50pm

Post #84 of 355 (23224 views)
Shortcut
On a side note [In reply to] Can't Post

How long before the Gandalf-Galadriel rumours re-appear.

And do we know yet if this is the Morgul blade from FOTR, or another one?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 10:53pm

Post #85 of 355 (23627 views)
Shortcut
They are accurately represented [In reply to] Can't Post

But not very well (i.e. in the barrels and climbing the hill/mountain - as in, obvious photoshop job).

Even Gandalf next to Beorn looks drawn rather than an actual picture. Same goes for the eagles?

Gold Grizzly
The Shire

Jul 9 2012, 10:56pm

Post #86 of 355 (23179 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo in the tree [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo seems to be alone in his tree. I hope that they don't cut out the bit where Dori helps him into the branches, then leaps after him in the nick of time. That's one of my favourite scenes ...

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 10:57pm

Post #87 of 355 (22899 views)
Shortcut
Is that a new website link on the poster as well? / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 10:58pm

Post #88 of 355 (23700 views)
Shortcut
It's only supposed to be a promotional shot [In reply to] Can't Post

They can't put everything in! I wouldn't worry Smile

Gold Grizzly
The Shire

Jul 9 2012, 11:02pm

Post #89 of 355 (23193 views)
Shortcut
You're probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

But worrying is what I do best ... Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 11:03pm

Post #90 of 355 (23090 views)
Shortcut
Don't think they're sleeping [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like they are appropriately tied up in sacks, courtesy of their friends Bert, Tom and Bill! Smile

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 9 2012, 11:07pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2012, 11:03pm

Post #91 of 355 (23526 views)
Shortcut
2Things [In reply to] Can't Post

Solves the problem of lighting ...."Riddles in Dark"...
Sting
is the only Light Source!
(HEAD SLAP?)

No goblins yet since they are CGI
they are working thier fannys off during Post
and needed Principle Photograghy to get Done for a rough cut
for reference...

I Don't WANT to see goblins until December.

Bomby

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 11:04pm

Post #92 of 355 (23242 views)
Shortcut
The goblins are CGI? [In reply to] Can't Post

Has this been confirmed?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 11:06pm

Post #93 of 355 (23632 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But their designs are generally spot on...

Beorn and the wargs could indeed be concept art. But even if that's the case, my guess is that they are FINAL concept art, and it is likely that they will look something like that in the films...

At least, I hope so, as I am very pleased.

Also, best shot of Thorin I have yet seen. That's a dwarven king, if I ever saw one (and honestly, I like his dwarf sword far better than Ocrist, which I find underwhelming...).

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 9 2012, 11:08pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 11:06pm

Post #94 of 355 (23451 views)
Shortcut
I thought they were sleeping too [In reply to] Can't Post

But they are definitely in sacks.

Why are they so relaxed? Unimpressed

Who's Tim?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 9 2012, 11:07pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 11:08pm

Post #95 of 355 (23315 views)
Shortcut
Another example [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that floating mug in between Ori and Oin! I presume Fili is holding it Wink

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2012, 11:09pm

Post #96 of 355 (23719 views)
Shortcut
No, the goblins are not CG [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ mentioned in an interview that they had 50 goblin performers on set, and it was so hot that they needed cooling inside the suits.

Plus they've been briefly seen in some of the vlogs Smile

And to your reply about the sacks; I agree, I don't think they're sleeping. Look at Dori who seems to have his face turned towards the ground. Don't think that's a very comfortable way of sleeping Tongue

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 9 2012, 11:10pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 11:10pm

Post #97 of 355 (23416 views)
Shortcut
Tim is Tom's stunt double [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously. Smile

They do look a little resigned, though...Perhaps dwarves are at their calmest when death is imminent?

This shot, and the dwarf-troll shot from the teaser, tells me that the dwarves will be tied up in bags, Bilbo frees the dwarves while the trolls argue about what to do with them, the dwarves attack the trolls, the trolls seem to be winning, and then Gandalf shows up and heralds the dawn.

I'd put money on that.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 9 2012, 11:12pm)

artemy
Lorien

Jul 9 2012, 11:15pm

Post #98 of 355 (23406 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, OMG this is too exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from the vlogs, this is the best bit of promotional material we've had so far! A wonderful little plot summary with lots of half-hidden extras to look for Laugh

The things I've noticed:

- Gandalf has Glamdring outside Bag End. Is this just a picture of him from later on photoshopped in (considering he has his pipe)? Or does it mean Glamdring will not be found in the troll hoard?

- Kili seems quite prevalent in all the pictures of the dwarves. Sneaky little marketing ploy there, putting the hot one centre stage.

- Those trolls blend very well into the rocky landscape. I do wonder that their heads seem more triangular than the stone trolls from FOTR though.

- I love the look of Thorin's dwarven sword! Also I'm sure they're tied up in sacks, since they seem stacked up next to that cauldron, Fili is face down and Kili looks unhappy.

- Beautiful shot of the whole gang in the moonlight. I feel similarly of them crossing that bridge (my first thought was that it was Rivendell, but now I'm not sure).

- Is Gandalf going to meet Galadriel in Rivendell outside of flashbacks then? Or have they just combined two scenes? I'd hazard that's a Morgul knife and a map of Dol Guldur.

- Wolves, at last! I wonder if they will explain that Saruman bred a new type of warg as he bred the uruks, and these are the traditional wolfish ones?

- BEORN! He's so majestic, and I like the hair! Plus, eagles are always a good thing. I don't see a moth though.

- Do I spy a spider hidden in the trees behind Bilbo, or is it a rock? Wish we could get a glimpse of an elf.

- As I'd hoped, Bilbo still rides on the outside. The presence of other barrels seems to imply Bilbo cuts them loose as a distraction or something.

The sudden increase in material flowing in has really got me hyped up for Comic Con, I can't wait for the weekend! Wink

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 9 2012, 11:18pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 11:16pm

Post #99 of 355 (23445 views)
Shortcut
Looks more like Oin is raising it [In reply to] Can't Post

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Jul 9 2012, 11:16pm

Post #100 of 355 (23067 views)
Shortcut
Isn't the Great Goblin going to be a mo-capped effects creature, though? [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.