Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly: "The Scroll" shows 10 hobbit scenes, dwarves, trolls, wargs, Beorn in bear form and more!
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

_V_
Lorien

Jul 12 2012, 1:33pm

Post #351 of 355 (16418 views)
Shortcut
Del Toro mentioned changing th Wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to a Q&A a few years ago and even then, Del Toro said that one of the major design changes he wanted to make was that he wanted the Wargs to look like classic northern wolves from fables.

I actually really like the Hyena-Warg design that Weta made, emphasizing that "this is some sort of cousin to the modern wolf, but within the wolf family" -- much as Oliphaunts are different from regular Elephants -- but I still missed having classic wolf designs.

But hey, there's nothing saying that there can't just be different "breeds" of Wargs.

ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2012, 4:20pm

Post #352 of 355 (18921 views)
Shortcut
Forgotten about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point, could well be a new entrance. Not sure how it could fit in the valley though.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 12 2012, 5:24pm

Post #353 of 355 (18803 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Dave [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Anglo-Saxons and the Vikings and many other Scandinavian/Germanic people were culturally very close at the time. The Saxons in England, before they became Christians, believed in the Norse gods like Thor and Odin/Woden. Hence, our names for the days of the week: Wodensday, Thorsday, Freyasday etc. They dressed and did their hair in similar ways and had similar ways of fighting. The Vikings are called "Danes" by the Anglo-Saxons although they didn't all come from Denmark. To go "a-viking" (raiding) is what they did not who they were. The Normans who conquered England and came over from what is now France, were also Viking in origin or "Norsemen/Men of the North". They just got everywhere, LOL!

But, as Dave says, people recognise the Vikings and when they see a similar cultural group, they assume they are Norsemen. Simlarly, redgiraffe, you talk about Celtic knotwork. But Anglo-Saxon designs were very similar too and the word "Celtic" is a recent invention by people with a romantic attitude towards history.

This is a very, very interesting period in history. The popular novelist, Bernard Cornwell, has written a very enjoyable series of books about 9th C England when the Vikings invaded Anglo-Saxon England. His history is spot on, his hero, Uhtred, will remind you of Thorin and a final connection is that Richard Armitage has done a superb reading of one of the books, Lords of the North

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...342113494&sr=8-7

and

http://www.richardarmitageonline.com/...th-introduction.html

An easy and exciting way to get your history!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 12 2012, 8:34pm

Post #354 of 355 (18983 views)
Shortcut
Interlacement and knotwork [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't exclusively a British Isles area Celtic artform. There are a good many items of a more Germanic style which have been found in England. Norse zoomorphic designs don't always stand out much from the common Germanic group style. Interlacing is found in even more far-flung regions, but we're mainly interested in the Anglo-Saxon and Hiberno-Saxon tradition that merges into Celtic Art.

So, yes, it does all go together.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 14 2012, 9:07am

Post #355 of 355 (19074 views)
Shortcut
Well thank you everyone. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad there are others who are more knowledgeable about this subject than I am, and that seem to have a great amount of enthusiasm for the culture. This has been one area of history where I have never had a chance to learn about yet it is probably one of the most interesting to me, especially since there are so many connections to Tolkien and other great fantasy stories.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.