Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly: "The Scroll" shows 10 hobbit scenes, dwarves, trolls, wargs, Beorn in bear form and more!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2012, 7:23pm

Post #1 of 355 (49254 views)
Shortcut
Entertainment Weekly: "The Scroll" shows 10 hobbit scenes, dwarves, trolls, wargs, Beorn in bear form and more! Can't Post

http://www.ew.com/...642_20610399,00.html

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 9 2012, 7:24pm)

smokerings
Rivendell

Jul 9 2012, 7:27pm

Post #2 of 355 (40381 views)
Shortcut
ZOINKS!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Too much to digest!

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 9 2012, 7:27pm

Post #3 of 355 (40887 views)
Shortcut
What is that thing [In reply to] Can't Post

What is that thing watching them in the Trollshaw scene? Is it even an animal or just an oddly-shaped log or something?

And further confirmation that the film ends where (pretty much) everyone expects.

Edit: It is a troll; in sort of an odd position. All 3 of them are there.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Jul 9 2012, 7:29pm)

smokerings
Rivendell

Jul 9 2012, 7:28pm

Post #4 of 355 (40269 views)
Shortcut
They are trolls I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What is that thing watching them in the Trollshaw scene? Is it even an animal or just an oddly-shaped log or something?

And further confirmation that the film ends where (pretty much) everyone expects.

Look again to the left of that thing - they are trolls. Bert and company!

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 9 2012, 7:30pm

Post #5 of 355 (40162 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like I figured that out at the exact moment you tried to tell me. Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 9 2012, 7:31pm

Post #6 of 355 (40428 views)
Shortcut
Holy spoiler-ific! [In reply to] Can't Post

Couple things:

Elrond examining Sting.

There is a barrel-rider at the far far right, ahead of the 13 dwarfs poking out of barrels.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 9 2012, 7:35pm)

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 9 2012, 7:32pm

Post #7 of 355 (40787 views)
Shortcut
Goblins? [In reply to] Can't Post

Conspicuously absent is anything related to the goblin capture. Even in the fifteen birds shot, we only see (lupine!) wargs.

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 9 2012, 7:34pm

Post #8 of 355 (40589 views)
Shortcut
Bridge [In reply to] Can't Post

If that bridge at the end leads to the elvenking's halls, all 13 dwarves are crossing it together. Well; all 13 are crossing it together even if it leads somewhere else. Smile

imin
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 7:37pm

Post #9 of 355 (40084 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for posting [In reply to] Can't Post

This looks awesome! I think this would make an incredible poster! Did notice as others pointed out the absence of the orcs/goblins. So epic though!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 7:44pm

Post #10 of 355 (40290 views)
Shortcut
Heads Up: You can use control + to enlarge the image on your screen [In reply to] Can't Post

For those that are going 'hun?'

hold your control button down and hit the key with + and = symbols on them. For Mac it's Command +.

I always want things bigger!

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Macfeast
Rohan

Jul 9 2012, 7:56pm

Post #11 of 355 (39815 views)
Shortcut
As I was examing the picture... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I was wondering why they couldn't just provide a higher resolution-picture, instead of going with the magnifying glass.

That's before I noticed the scroll bar underneath, and that there was more to the picture Laugh

Observations, from left to right:
Ori eating a sallad.
Best shot of Thorin's pre-Orcrist sword yet.
Heads poking out of the bags. Óin's head looks to be close enough to the pot for his hair to catch fire.
Dwarves walking up a hill; The Hobbit-equivalent of this?
Wolf-wargs, not hyena-wargs.
Gandalf and Beorn (also, eagles). Amazing. The locks of hair hanging in front of Beorn's ears somehow gives a slightly human appearance.
Thirteen dwarves crossing a bridge. The order of the scenes suggests that it might be the bridge to Thranduil's Halls.
Thirteen dwarves popping out of their barrels, Bilbo hanging on to his. Somehow, even in this position, Thorin manages to look composed and regal.
The Lonely Mountain, just below the "y" in "An unexpected journey"?

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jul 9 2012, 8:00pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2012, 7:56pm

Post #12 of 355 (40082 views)
Shortcut
too much spoiler for those who havn´t read the book dont you think? [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 7:58pm

Post #13 of 355 (40141 views)
Shortcut
actually... not so sure it's enlarging... nevermind! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2012, 8:05pm

Post #14 of 355 (39876 views)
Shortcut
Pretty! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 9 2012, 8:12pm

Post #15 of 355 (39863 views)
Shortcut
Very intriguing [In reply to] Can't Post

and epic. Beorn, Gandalf, and the eagles really know how to create an electrifying scene.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 9 2012, 8:13pm

Post #16 of 355 (40309 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see Beorn at last, and I like the look of the new wargs. They're much similar to the wargs that I imagined.
Still desperate to see Radagast, though!

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 8:19pm

Post #17 of 355 (39945 views)
Shortcut
psst to Radagast-Aiwendil [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're hitting 'reply' to the last post you see in flat mode. The thing is, that's not the person you're actually 'talking' to necessarily. For example, you said 'Thanks for this' to my post (me) but surely you meant to thank Carne. To do that, you should really hit reply to his post. (especially since the post you replied to offered nothing much to thank anyone for! I made a mistake and was retracting a statement.)

It may seem pointless if you only read in flat mode but lots of us read in threaded mode which shows sub-threads of distinct conversations. For those of us who read in threaded mode, a misplaced reply can get confusing. The best way to see the difference is to find the button on the top right of the page that says either "View Flat Mode" or "View Threaded Mode". Clicking it will let you see the 'other' way of showing the thread.

cheers. :-)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 8:20pm

Post #18 of 355 (39719 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Yes! Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wolves, NOT hyenas! Wolves!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 8:21pm

Post #19 of 355 (40333 views)
Shortcut
I can tell you why [In reply to] Can't Post

Reason #1 which is a small percentage of the reason (imo): it's fun. More fun than just a picture or series of pictures.

Reason #2 which is a larger percentage of the reason (imo): it's much harder for other sites to grab the images and post them on their blog/site.

maybe not a lot harder though... I've already captured the entire scroll. :-)

However, it's possible that the magnifying glass provide a better resolution of the image in a larger size than my enlarging the image as captured. If that makes sense.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 9 2012, 8:23pm

Post #20 of 355 (39285 views)
Shortcut
Ok thanks Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still relatively new to this, only joined last month, so will make a note of that for future reference.Smile

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 8:26pm

Post #21 of 355 (39857 views)
Shortcut
That's because [In reply to] Can't Post

The artist (or PJ and company) opted to show us Gollum's cave to represent that part in the story, rather than the Goblin fight. I wouldn't worry about it. That sequence is in!

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 9 2012, 8:27pm

Post #22 of 355 (40029 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dark wolves. Too perfect!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2012, 8:30pm

Post #23 of 355 (40005 views)
Shortcut
it's something most people don't catch on to at first [In reply to] Can't Post

and we like to let people get their bearings before pointing it out.

So the fact that I did means you're now one of us! :-)

M

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 9 2012, 8:31pm

Post #24 of 355 (39844 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf with Glamdring... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does it mean anything that Gandalf has Glamdring at the beginning of the scroll there, in the Shire?

Or is it more likely that the artist just pulled a shot from somewhere else in the story?

I'm not so sure, as the shot of Thorin pre-troll's cave appropriately shows him with his pre-Orcrist sword...

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 9 2012, 8:33pm

Post #25 of 355 (39557 views)
Shortcut
Barrel and costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

Notice the dwarves are all wearing their normal clothes in those barrels. Artistic license for the poster I think since we know they are down to tunics in the vlogs.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.