Will Glamdring glow this time around? The Lego folks clearly noticed
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 8 2012, 7:49pm

Post #1 of 35 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Will Glamdring glow this time around? The Lego folks clearly noticed Can't Post

the absence of its luminosity in the trilogy, and saw fit to "comment" on it in a most hilarious way. Anyone who has seen the Lego short parodys will have noticed the hilarious moment where, after Sting lights up, Gandalf looks at his still dark Glamdring and smacks it, like a flashlight with a faltering battery, until it too begans to glow. Wonder if Peter saw and took the hint? lol

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 7:53pm

Post #2 of 35 (746 views)
Shortcut
It was a great reference. [In reply to] Can't Post

For film continuity sake they shouldn't have it glow.

For book continuity, I would want it to glow. And for them to have it glow in the trilogy.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 8 2012, 8:10pm

Post #3 of 35 (705 views)
Shortcut
Ya, the second one... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure no-one would mind if PJ went back and made Glamdring glow in FotR. It's not particularly intrusive... Although the iconic image of him facing the Balrog would look different...

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 8:12pm

Post #4 of 35 (690 views)
Shortcut
It wouldn't have to glow that much during that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Just assume the Orcs are hidden away while the Balrog's out. Tongue A hint if glowing could work?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 8 2012, 8:14pm

Post #5 of 35 (684 views)
Shortcut
I am with you, Qua/Troll, and with Daniel's second comment. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean about the Balrog scene. . . but then again, The Balrog terrified everyone, High-Elves included. Perhaps the evil spirit and magic of him caused even Glamdring to momentarily falter. lol

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2012, 8:17pm

Post #6 of 35 (687 views)
Shortcut
hadn't seen that one [In reply to] Can't Post

you don't happen to know the link to it AO? I would love to see it, It sounds HilariousSmile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 8:19pm

Post #7 of 35 (703 views)
Shortcut
There's a thread over in Gaming and Collecting [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Smile

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2012, 8:21pm

Post #8 of 35 (652 views)
Shortcut
Thanks DanielLB// [In reply to] Can't Post

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 8 2012, 8:24pm

Post #9 of 35 (658 views)
Shortcut
It IS hilaious, Siniste71 [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like DanielB provided the link (much appreciated Daniel). I hope they make more, these were VERY funny.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 8:26pm

Post #10 of 35 (643 views)
Shortcut
I expect another one in a few days time [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll want to attract as many people as possible to the game. What better time than during ComicCon Wink

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2012, 8:34pm

Post #11 of 35 (648 views)
Shortcut
OMG that was Hysterical [In reply to] Can't Post

good one thanks for the info about that clip, I absolutely LOVED it.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 8 2012, 9:47pm

Post #12 of 35 (636 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE the Lego games. They always offer couch co-op for one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have long hoped they would do an LOTR related game, and I will definitely be getting this one.

In Reply To
They'll want to attract as many people as possible to the game. What better time than during ComicCon Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 8 2012, 9:51pm

Post #13 of 35 (620 views)
Shortcut
Continuity, schmontinuity! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have it glow! Smile

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 8 2012, 9:55pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 8 2012, 9:54pm

Post #14 of 35 (602 views)
Shortcut
If I remember rightly [In reply to] Can't Post

When asked why Glamdring didn't glow in the same manner as Sting, PJ laughed and said "It was for budgetary reasons". I therefore doubt it will glow in The Hobbit for the sake of continuity.
However, this raises the question: will Orcrist glow? If it does, Glamdring will be the odd one out, but if it doesn't, Sting will be the odd one out (Probably the best idea as it would emphasise Sting's importance, particularly in the spider scene).
That said, the blade of Glamdring certainly matches the "cold and white" description it was given by Tolkien, as the blade metal appears to be of a much lighter colour than other swords in the trilogy.

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 8 2012, 9:58pm

Post #15 of 35 (611 views)
Shortcut
It's okay if Glamdring is the odd one out... [In reply to] Can't Post

Orcrist and Sting are sister blades, I don't think Glamdring is a part of the set...

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 10:01pm

Post #16 of 35 (599 views)
Shortcut
Thinking about it, it makes sense to add the glow to the trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Since in some scenes they forgot to do Sting as well (when the Fellowship are surrounded by Orcs just before the Balrog).

They'd need an additional scene to explain it though? Unsure

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 10:02pm

Post #17 of 35 (607 views)
Shortcut
Glamdring and Orcrist are mates? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is that the joke? Wink

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 8 2012, 10:05pm

Post #18 of 35 (600 views)
Shortcut
Heres where it's open to interpretation [In reply to] Can't Post

A direct quote from FOTR:
"Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that now lay upon the breast of Thorin under The Lonely Mountain."
I have seen more debates about the kinship between these swords than I would care to remember.
However, I do in many ways agree with you: it is hard to believe that a sword designed specifically for the King of Gondolin would be part of any "set" as such.

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 8 2012, 10:09pm

Post #19 of 35 (595 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, dear brown kinsman [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
They could have both been part of a set made by the same craftspeople for the royal family of Gondolin.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 8 2012, 10:12pm

Post #20 of 35 (582 views)
Shortcut
I suppose that is true enough my grey friend [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkThat thought entered my head just after making that post...drat.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jul 8 2012, 10:13pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 10:12pm

Post #21 of 35 (597 views)
Shortcut
If anyone is interested... [In reply to] Can't Post

DarkJackal and I made this a while back:

http://thorinoakenshield.net/...al-owner-of-orcrist/

It's a short discussion on the likely owner of Orcrist.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 9 2012, 3:21am

Post #22 of 35 (524 views)
Shortcut
Glamdring not glowing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf forgot to replace the batteries ...

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Jul 9 2012, 3:35am

Post #23 of 35 (522 views)
Shortcut
and it's great [In reply to] Can't Post

well worth the read!

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 9 2012, 4:12am

Post #24 of 35 (534 views)
Shortcut
Glowing knives are a bad idea [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're a burglar trying to sneak up on someone in the dark, you don't want your weapon to give you away. You wouldn't want to have to keep it sheathed up to the last second or the sound of unsheathing it might alert your target.

Get rid of the glow I say! Tongue

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 9 2012, 5:36am

Post #25 of 35 (507 views)
Shortcut
Yet neither that knife nor those swords were made for burglars [In reply to] Can't Post

It was not their purpose to aid in sneaking up on others. It was to keep others from sneaking up on you.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.