Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Just saw ROTK at the theatres again: Sauron, the palantir and Elbereth?

alienorchid
Lorien

Jul 8 2012, 3:34pm

Views: 682
Shortcut
Just saw ROTK at the theatres again: Sauron, the palantir and Elbereth? Can't Post

Return of the King EE was showing as a holiday special thing in Christchurch, so of course I went along with my partner and a friend. I enjoyed every second of it, cried over scenes I've never cried over before and of course, there are always things I notice for the first time.

This time the main new thing I noticed was when Aragorn confronts Sauron with the palantir, along with the usual Black Speech and unintelligible threatening sounds, I heard silivren penna miriel. This phrase(?) features in the hymn to Elbereth in the books and apparently means 'white glittering slanting down sparkling like jewels'

My interpretation is that it could be Aragorn's thoughts, drawing strength from Elbereth to steel himself against Sauron's will. Another thought was that it could be a reference to Arwen Undomiel and the jewel she gave Aragorn, since that is the very next thing you see on screen. These are just baseless interpretations, obviously - it's just another layer of the movie to ponder over and have fun with :)

What do you guys think?

Subject User Time
Just saw ROTK at the theatres again: Sauron, the palantir and Elbereth? alienorchid Send a private message to alienorchid Jul 8 2012, 3:34pm
    Did you happen to hear Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jul 9 2012, 3:31am
        It didn't sound like alienorchid Send a private message to alienorchid Jul 9 2012, 4:47am
        I doubt Solicitr Send a private message to Solicitr Sep 8 2012, 1:39pm
    It's something that gets noticed every once in a while by someone Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 9 2012, 5:31am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.