The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"The Hobbit" action figures wishlist

_V_
Lorien

Oct 15 2007, 3:33pm

Post #1 of 25 (2123 views)
Shortcut
"The Hobbit" action figures wishlist Can't Post

Well I've got all of the toybiz LOTR action figures, and I'm hoping that "The Hobbit" films will produce new ones

....and also that, like Star Wars, it will encourage them to make new figures from the LOTR trilogy

for example, they PLANNED "Epic Trilogy" Wave 3 and Wave 4 but then cancelled the set:

Wave 3:
Contains: Aragorn w/ Light-Up Palantir, Super-Poseable Legolas, Easterling w/ Banner, Orc w/ Banner and Corsair

Wave 4:
Barrow Wight, Birch Ent, Rosie Cotton, Berserker Uruk w/ Bomb, Aragorn w/ Red Sleeves at Rohan, Wulf the Wild Man

And I mean I was actually looking forward to a new different Easterling, a Corsair, Barrow Wight, alternate Ent, Dunlanding, and Rosie Cotton. I mean I can do without YET ANOTHER Gollum (they seriously thought kids would love Gollum like Dobby from HP, so apparently literally half of the box sets of figures sold as a unit to stores were just Gollums; no one bought more than one Gollum or ONLY Gollum, so they were overstocked)....or YET ANOTHER Legolas (in the sense that we've already got him in pretty much every costume he appears in (FOTR costume, Helm's Deep Shoulder Armor, his Council of Elrond robes and maybe even his coronation outfit?).....so they just keep making "Legolas; sword slashing action!" (ugh) while other characters have no figures.

So, who is on you "Action Figure wishlist" for "The Hobbit"? and what characters never got action figures from LOTR that you'd like to see them make?

Hmm....as for LOTR, it's just rounding out everyone who appeared in the films. Barliman Butterbur, maybe a Council elf or Gloin or something (no big need for that), all of the above figures (Rosie Cotton, Corsair, Dunlanding, alternate Ent, even a Barrow Wight)

does anyone have the limited edition Peter Jackson as a Hobbit figure?

Maybe like Celeborn or Haldir.....Watcher in the Water? Everyone from Rohan has a figure (even like Gamling and Hama) but I'd like them to make figures of all of Eowyn's various costumes. And like Cirdan. But again, this is just to exhaust all options.

but as for the Hobbit, I want them to make two Beorn action figures, scaled to the size of the extra-large Treebeard action figure, one of him in giant-man form and another in giant-bear form.

Also Gwaihir the Windlord, and they're going to make a few of several Misty Mountains orcs like the Great Goblin and Bolg probably.....and some of the Stone-trolls......they're probably going to make another alternate Warg figure, though the one I already have is good enough for me.....

probably a set of smaller Mirkwood-spiders, smaller than Shelob-figure was....

Thranduil, Bard, and Dain most likely;

basically I'd just like to see a lot more action figures devoted to the separate dwarves

and what if they make the "Appendix" movie? What figures could we have then?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 15 2007, 3:56pm

Post #2 of 25 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Warg-skin and goblin-head on a pike! [In reply to] Can't Post

And Röac and Carc, for sure. Plus the thrush, that interfering busybody.

Gwaihir doesn't definitively appear in The Hobbit -- but would your "Lord of the Eagles" figure include a gold crown?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Oct. 15-21 for the Maps, Foreword, and Prologue.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 15 2007, 5:37pm

Post #3 of 25 (1844 views)
Shortcut
I love your idea for Beorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd have to be able to see him in both guises.

As for LotR, considering he didn't appear it would be hard to ask for Tom B, but I'd like to have one of him. Nob, Bob, and Barli would be next on my wish list.

For Gondor!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 15 2007, 6:18pm

Post #4 of 25 (1793 views)
Shortcut
I want Bear-Beorn to dance... n/t [In reply to] Can't Post

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2007, 2:44am

Post #5 of 25 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Excellent topic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want a great Gandalf figure, and of course, one for each dwarf. I am especially looking forward to Thorin and Dain! Thranduil should be great as well. A flashback is in store, so expect Thrain and Thror as well.

I know another one I want! You remember the FOTR Bilbo with traveling gear? The Mithril coat, the Red book and the Bag End door? Do that again, witha younger Bilbo! Bard is indispensable. We would have a new Saruman for the White Council scenes.

Besides, there has to be a "Riddles in the Dark Gift Pack" with Bilbo and Gollum. Gwaihir is a must. ( I do believe it is Gwaihir) A Roast Mutton Gift Pack, anyone? They've done trolls before!

Smaug! Imagine that figure! They released, albeit in small amounts, a fell beast, so they MUST do Smaug.

Additionally, you mentioned the Star Wars figues, well, I'll tell you something I would have wanted to happen for the trilogy: "Expanded Universe" figures, in this case, people who did not appear in the movies or that appeared in other stories. I know this is difficult, because of all the trouble the rights to Middle Earth works are... but imagine Túrin with the Dragon Helm of Dor Lómin, or Fingolfin in the white armor with which he challenged Morgoth... a 10 inch Morgoth! Tom Bombadil, Halbarad and Glorfindel. Radagast! And why not, while we're dreaming let's stretch it a little and let's go with the Blue Wizards! An epic Gift pack with the Sons of Finwë.

Hehehe... Laugh I got a little carried away... I just love those figures, and dreaming never hurt anyone.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 16 2007, 12:54pm

Post #6 of 25 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Reality is over-rated [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer dreaming, at times. It is almost like the Eldar, like Glorfindal, who live at once in both worlds.

Draug, good thread idea. I hope this isn't another false start by the film companies!

I look forward to the figures that might come out of any film(s) almost as much as the films. They are secondary, of course, but stretch out the enjoyment of Middle earth with anticipation and the hunt of the Waves. It takes quite a while, and quite a bit of money too, to recreate the scenes with artifacts, or figures in your own hobbit hole. If you make displays or customize, etc, it expands even more.

I like the action figures best. But I am a Armies of Middle Earth fan. I can see the what people like about the 6 and 12 inch action figures, but I just don't relate. It's probably an age thing, I grew up collectimg toy soldiers (medievals of course) and like building up large battle scenes, etc.

I think the larger figure collectors have a good chance for new figures, but what the makers will make is another story. The (Aome) Armies of Middle-Earth series collectors have problems. It had a great beginning, but was mis-handled I believe, got into trouble, and died (or was killed) early. It is questionable if anyone would continue that line, or size.

A few of us on another Lotr forum have even started a informal group, to see if we can figure out ways of to get collector/fan input to the makers, and somehow get them to listen. Most of the mistakes the Toybiz and Aome lines made were preventable and painfully obvious to collectors. You saw situations where 12 year old collectors were spotting poor company decisions 'What are they doing!' six months before the company got it. One of the main problems is they did not understand the age/maturity of their fans. They still thought it was all about 6-12 year olds at Walmart, and only about 10-20% were teens and adults. The older collectors are a larger proportion (40% ?) but also buy more then their younger counterparts and probably approached 50% of sales.

We (older collectors) are a whole different ballgame. I hope we continue the conversation here. I am basically still a newbie here, but thought this would be an excellent place to try and get our thoughts to the makers. In what form ? I do not know for here. But I guess I am hoping the figure collectors will start the dialogue. Can we make any difference ?(Fool's Hope allowed, this is a Lotr Forum after all), do we even try ?

_V_
Lorien

Oct 17 2007, 1:17am

Post #7 of 25 (1803 views)
Shortcut
figures [In reply to] Can't Post

legally speaking no, I don't think they can do "expanded universe" stuff as in stuff from Silmarillion etc. as the rights are owned by the Tolkien family, etc.

***However, stuff from the "Appendix" is fair game.

hmmm....

Well I didn't get "Armies of Middle-earth" I got the six inch figures as they're more detailed.

Well yeah the obvious "The Hobbit" toy is a "Smaug" figure....but like the Fell Beast, it could never be made to scale with the six inchers.

****Btw, people do try to make custom versions of the figures using the existing ones, thus creating Sil characters, etc.

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 17 2007, 3:33pm

Post #8 of 25 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Expanded Universe Figures [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there are companies that have been making metal figures for a long time (decades) that have done many of the subjects not covered in the movies. They are smaller, like the wargame size, and also 54mm I believe (just under Aome size). But they have gone with their own interpretations and were not based on the movie. Its odd but the movie has established a kind of visual style, that is very popular, and some I guess would wish any expanded universe figues match up with the Lotr films as much as possible. I sorta feel like that.

I have often wondered if the action figures lines that ended (Toybiz, Armies of Middle-Earth (Aome) ) really had to end or if they could not have continued on in a scaled down manner. It looked like they just thought of Lotr in the same catagory as Teletubbies. Something to be produced, only till the marketing average life-cycle was reached (only run up to 2 years after a film is released), and then dump it all regardless.

They had such a fantastic collector base. But they based there stratagy on 6-12 year old kids. Anyone could have told them it was teens and adults buying half the stuff. They blew the long run strategy bigtime. I ( and a few thousand others) would still be buying new figures if they would make them.

I wish one company would take on and keep going with the Lotr figures. I still get things occasionally from a Toy Soldier company, Britains Ltd, that has been in continuous operation since like 1895 (eighteen hundreds!). Toy Soldier nuts are very hardcore, but Lotr-fans are just as loyal, and there are many times more Lotr fans.

I wish makers would come here and talk to us.

I would like nothing better then to make wishlists

But someone(s) has to win the license, and start development of the things first. And if its a crap company we are going to get a crappy ride.

Don't leave people out. Make:
12" collector figure size
6" action figure size
2-3" armies of middle earth size
1-2" wargame size

If I am forgetting somebodies line jump right in.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 17 2007, 3:56pm

Post #9 of 25 (1791 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I have often wondered if the action figures lines that ended (Toybiz, Armies of Middle-Earth (Aome) ) really had to end or if they could not have continued on in a scaled down manner. It looked like they just thought of Lotr in the same catagory as Teletubbies. Something to be produced, only till the marketing average life-cycle was reached (only run up to 2 years after a film is released), and then dump it all regardless.

Word is that it wasn't the manufacturer that believed the "fad" was over but the retailers. Toybiz couldn't get enough orders to justify renewing the license so they let it lapse.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

stormcrow20
Gondor

Oct 18 2007, 4:36am

Post #10 of 25 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Make your dream a reality..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course we can try. Maybe we should start something similar to The Hobbit letter writing campaign, but rather than writing to New Line and MGM, we could write to Marvel Toys (formerly Toy Biz) and Play Along.

I'm also an action figure collector, mostly buying LotR, Marvel Legends and Transformers. I was so excited when Toy Biz was making the LotR figures, as I had been a major collector of their Marvel comics figures since I was a kid, when they began with the X-Men toys. The AoMe figures caught my eye, but Toy Biz had too tight a hold on my wallet at that time.

I don't know the details, but ironically, Marvel Toys didn't continue Toy Biz's Marvel Legends action figure line (which was also very popular among older collectors), and Hasbro got the rights. To the fans' delight, Hasbro continued the line... but to many fans' disappointment, with lesser quality materials and less accesories...and adding insult to injury, for a higher price.

I don't know for sure if any of the Toy Biz people are still with Marvel Toys, but we could find out. If Jesse Falcon is still with them, I think there would be a decent chance of interest in The Hobbit. If they pursue the rights this early, maybe they could avoid a possible bidding war. Hopefully, Marvel Toys could give us the same quality and attention to detail that made the Toy Biz line so great.

Expect me when you see me.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Oct 18 2007, 4:40am

Post #11 of 25 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the retailers... [In reply to] Can't Post

are the reason we didn't get a Balrog figure from Toy Biz.

They are also the reason we have so many versions of Legolas and Aragorn.

If only they had taken a hint from the Star Wars line.....

Expect me when you see me.

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Oct 18 2007, 4:44am)

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 18 2007, 4:44am

Post #12 of 25 (1774 views)
Shortcut
That may well be [In reply to] Can't Post

how it actually occurred. But I do remember reading in late 2004, that some group in the toy industry was saying all Lotr would be ended by Fall 2005. I can't remember what group was, it may have been the retailers. It could have been a combination of dropping sales and the marketing model that says to cease after two years.

Part of the lack of sales was because of marketing errors. Making too many of the wrong things. Resorting to repacks rediculously early. And some distribution problems. Going with the big chain retailers is not always successful & has a down side as well.

springlering

Oct 19 2007, 8:17pm

Post #13 of 25 (1754 views)
Shortcut
How About [In reply to] Can't Post

a barrel riding Bilbo. Wink

One that says Kachoo!

"...You may find friends upon your way when you least look for it...."

....Elrond

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 20 2007, 1:34am

Post #14 of 25 (1751 views)
Shortcut
But it would be [In reply to] Can't Post

just a barrel that sneezes. Unless you did a 'Twilight Bilbo' out of clear plastic. But you knew that! Laugh

But that was not quite what I had in mind.

I was hoping to finally see a middle-earth Dwarven army in battle and the figures thereof. Dwarves of the Iron Hills. Mirkwood Elves, Men of Laketown. Possibly Beornings and hopefully this time eagles.

Goblins and Wargs, but probably new tribes and new breeds. Bolg and his Goblin Bodyguard. Trolls, Spiders, Smaug and some type of giant (stone giants ?) if they are included.

And then there is the possibilities of expanded themes (White Council assault on The Necromancer's Stronghold) and other unidentified connecting material.

Tie-ins, are inevitable and sometimes just slapping a picture on a coke can.

But I see the figural work as being potenially much more as far as quality artistry goes. I would really like to be able to integrate the Hobbit figures into the LoTR collection as well. But it has to be well thought out & made to last. That's why I would like for companies to actually converse with collectors before they decide what to make. I think it will give them the best chance for a fan-liked series and longer running line. But they have to aim towards a higher age group. The 12-60 yr old collector. When it comes to collecting action figures they all have a remarkably similiar mentality. Which you can look at different ways. I like seeing it as figuring out how to remain young.

springlering

Oct 20 2007, 3:18am

Post #15 of 25 (1769 views)
Shortcut
Sneezing Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
just a barrel that sneezes. Unless you did a 'Twilight Bilbo' out of clear plastic. But you knew that! Laugh

well, if the last few waves were any indication of how things might run, they'd simply recycle birthday Bilbo's barrel and twilight Bilbo and consider it a job well done. Unsure

....Elrond

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 20 2007, 1:30pm

Post #16 of 25 (1726 views)
Shortcut
Quite true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

well, if the last few waves were any indication of how things might run, they'd simply recycle birthday Bilbo's barrel and twilight Bilbo and consider it a job well done. Unsure

Pssst. Not so loud. Wink How frustrating, at the end of the lines, to see the new figures cancelled and old figures re-issued. Its too bad the toy makers do not think in terms of the long run.

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 22 2007, 6:47am

Post #17 of 25 (1735 views)
Shortcut
I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

A barrel-riding twilight Bilbo would be a must-have "The Hobbit" item for me!
For additional LOTR toys/action figures, I'd love to see more hobbits: the Gaffer, Mr. Proudfoot, Otho and Lobelia. Definitely Rosie, I'm sorry that one was dropped.
I'd also like a "Figwit" elf.
If there is a "segue" or LOTR "prequil" film, I'd like an action figure of teenage Aragorn, and Elrond's twin sons Elladan and Elrohir. And maybe Arwen's mom, can't think of her name just now.
And this is completely out of left field, but there is a scene I'd love to see in "The Hobbit", perhaps as the opening scene. This scene would show Ian Holm as middle-aged Bilbo telling his adventures at a family gathering at Bag End (and I'd like a Bag End playset scaled to the action figures!) where we get to see cameos of the LOTR hobbit actors playing their characters' fathers. (The movie would then segue into the opening scene of "The Hobbit" with a younger actor playing younger Bilbo.)
If by some miracle they did that scene in "The Hobbit" then I'd like a toy-pack of figures of the 4 dads: Drogo Baggins, Paladin Took, Saradoc Brandybuck, and (younger) Gaffer Gamgee. Maybe the wives are in the set as well, with perhaps a toddler Frodo.
(Well, there is always hope, and this *is* a wish-list...!)
-ML

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

springlering

Oct 22 2007, 11:59am

Post #18 of 25 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh Aaaah!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...a Bag End playset scaled to the action figures!....

glrgggrrrrgggg (making my best Homer Simpson drooly noise). Good grief, if we can have Helm's Deep and Seige Ballista Uruk-Hai, certainly we deserve a Bag End. (Mixing my toy lines here, but I think I prefer the AOME with the exception of a few of the Toybiz Elf figures.)

Speaking of figures, I just added the Japanese version of the first 18 Eaglemoss/Deagostini to my collection. The packaging is stunning. Each one comes in a shadowbox box, with the magazine permanently mounted to the cover. Hard to describe. The box looks like a book and incorporates the display, too. It's very colorful. When you have a shelf full it looks like a
"library".

Take up a lot of room, but it's well worth it! ( OT...Can't imagine the space conscious Japanese going for packaging like that.)

I really, really, really hope Deagostini will renew their license if the Hobbit happens.

....Elrond

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 22 2007, 2:16pm

Post #19 of 25 (1726 views)
Shortcut
Lonely Mountain Playset [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

glrgggrrrrgggg (making my best Homer Simpson drooly noise). Good grief, if we can have Helm's Deep and Seige Ballista Uruk-Hai, certainly we deserve a Bag End. (Mixing my toy lines here, but I think I prefer the AOME with the exception of a few of the Toybiz Elf figures.)

Bag End, Balin's Tomb and Minas Tirith were some of the things I would have liked to see also with AOME. I would have used Bag End to recreate The Scouring of the Shire. I made a Hobbit Regiment out of spare Frodo's, Sam's, Merry's and Pippin's. Armed with bows, hammers, stout staves, etc. I haven't done Sharkys men yet, but have a unit of wildmen conversions and originals that would do in a pinch. But Hobbit-wise I wonder about the accessories or envirionments that might be done. Much will depend on what the movie depicts. I've thought about perhaps a Lonely mountain piece. Showing the fortified gateway with a small amount of mountain above and the secret entrance behind. If it was possible I would also show the two ridges radiating out from the mountain, perhaps with the abandoned guard post on one. Many of the events in the book including the Battle of Five Armies takes place within these ridges. Aome size would be the largest possible I guess, but it would be big! It would be easier for the Games Workshop and other smaller ranges. Laketown (maybe with destroyable parts!) is a possibility. Smaug might come with this. The Three Trolls playset of course with suitably sacked dwarves. Mirkwood Spider Colony ? Now how to work in the Barrelriders ? Maybe just the raft with elve drivers and Bilbo ? Bag End would be pretty cool, thinking about it. A very nice connecting piece bridging the movies and possibly the figure series. Beorn, but in what form ? The tank-bear at the battle of five or in large man form ? The whole Misty Mountain goblin thing still...no ideas... Treed by Wolves Rivendale

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 23 2007, 2:04am

Post #20 of 25 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Bag End playset [In reply to] Can't Post

*gurgle* is right! We wants it, Precious!
A "Bag End" to the scale of the Toybiz 5" hobbit action figures that featured only the entry, the room that has the fireplace (is it the parlor?) the kitchen and the study (the only rooms we see in the films) would still be *huge*. But if they make it, I will find some way to buy it.
They'd need to make "furniture and accessory packs" to sell also, for the little chairs and rugs and tables and books and papers and things. Pure fantasy, I know! That would never be a viable, merchandisable item, but hey: as long as we're dreaming, dream big, sez I!
Another wish: I was kind of hoping that the manufacturers who make those "Christmas Village" -type of miniature collectible buildings (like "Department 56") might want to do a "Hobbiton" collection. Some of those collectibles are very elaborate, with lots of moving parts and light-up features. Heck, they could do a whole Middle Earth collection! I'd buy them!
-Maura

springlering

Oct 23 2007, 2:19am

Post #21 of 25 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Village House [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been done. Department 56. Comes with little Frodo and Gandalf figures, standing by the gate, complete with "No Admittance" sign.

....Elrond

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 23 2007, 2:35am

Post #22 of 25 (1715 views)
Shortcut
Yes!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, I didn't know that had been done! How cute! And it comes with the figures, that is very cool.
Yes, we wants it...!
-ML

springlering

Oct 23 2007, 2:50am

Post #23 of 25 (1719 views)
Shortcut
another pic [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thank you, I didn't know that had been done! How cute! And it comes with the figures, that is very cool.
Yes, we wants it...!
-ML

Devilish hard to find. You can stick one of those light bulb extension cord thinggies in the back. It's by Dept 56, who makes The Village, but would look kind of wierd sitting next to the Coke plant, Merry-go-round and the Victorian houses. I got started with the stupid things after seeing one that looked just like the church I got married in. It kind of got out of hand until I realized what a pain in the arse it was to haul it all down from the attic every year. That cured me.
I bet if Sauron had had a Merry-go-round he might have been a much more pleasant villain. Wow. Wouldn't an Orthance or Bara'dur be completely awesome, towering over those sugar sweet little scenes?

....Elrond

springlering

Oct 23 2007, 2:54am

Post #24 of 25 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Just one more and I'll shut up.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had forgotten about this one. Danbury Mint. It even comes with a tiny little light up Eye you can stick between the fangs of the tower. Super nice detail.

There's a Minas Tirith, too, but I thought Bara'dur was particularly well done.

....Elrond

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 23 2007, 9:17pm

Post #25 of 25 (1774 views)
Shortcut
Wow, those are awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess its better for my pocket-book that I *didn't* know that Bag End and Barad Dur were made! They are really cool, though! Thanks for sharing the photos. That separate Red Eye that you can add into Sauron's tower is just priceless; I can't stand it it's so, well, cute! I've got to share that pic with some friends who really love the villains of Middle Earth (one costumes as "Saruman's Daughter", aka "Sarumanella", and the other one won a prize in a costume competition dressed as "The Tower of Barad Dur." They will love it!)
-ML

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.