Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit 'looking more likely' and Ian McKellen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

And back again
Rivendell

Oct 15 2007, 2:32pm

Post #1 of 41 (1054 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit 'looking more likely' and Ian McKellen Can't Post

Another article I spotted just now.

All about Ian McKellen and Peter Jackson's wish that he should reprise his role of Gandalf for the film version of The Hobbit.

Appartently, Peter will not be directing the Hobbit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/15/nmckellen115.xml

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2007, 3:27pm

Post #2 of 41 (479 views)
Shortcut
If the reporter had new information, she wouldn't have buried the lead like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

She was evidently going by the earlier Torygraph story (and ignoring the fact that 'will not direct...' was a quote from Shaye and not settled fact)-- and unaware of developments since then.

1st JRRT Map Moot in Chicago-- Nov. 2-4, 2007
Another to follow!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JRRTMapsChicago/?yguid=178797892

River Woman
The Shire

Oct 15 2007, 4:30pm

Post #3 of 41 (503 views)
Shortcut
Have just heard a snippet on the radio ... [In reply to] Can't Post

That The Hobbit is going ahead and that Sir Ian is canvassing to reprise his role as Gandalf. Peter is directing and everything looks green for go.

This was at 17.25 GMT (local in London) on ClassicFM usually a station that doesn't run 'spurious' news stories (and who are HUGE LoTR supporters and fans)

So a small *YaY*.

Could this be the beginning?

**** Far over the plain Éowyn saw the glitter of their spears, as she stood still, alone before the doors of the silent house. ***

Patty
Immortal

Oct 15 2007, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 41 (476 views)
Shortcut
*be still my thumping heart* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been privileged to be around Gramma too long!LaughHeart

Oh, I can't help but be excited!!! I'm trying to stay calm...

For Gondor!

(This post was edited by Patty on Oct 15 2007, 4:39pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15 2007, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 41 (444 views)
Shortcut
Where is Grammaboodawg?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only been here a little while but she is really so enthusiastic about PJ and The Hobbit and I love her optimism (and her signature) that if this radio broadcast is true and PJ is in fact directing The Hobbit, she should be one of the first to know Smile

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires."

kareniel
Lorien

Oct 15 2007, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 41 (394 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thank you, River Woman! [In reply to] Can't Post

The glow on the horizon is getting brighter and brighter every day! Could some of the British sibs call the radio station and confirm the source of this wonderful news?

Patty
Immortal

Oct 15 2007, 5:48pm

Post #7 of 41 (435 views)
Shortcut
I keep checking the Home page.. [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe some of our PTB could get a confirmation from one of their sources?

For Gondor!

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Oct 15 2007, 5:50pm

Post #8 of 41 (383 views)
Shortcut
Last Month [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lucky enough to get tickets to a New York Times-sponsored event last month in New York City where Sir Ian was interviewed for over an hour in front of a live audience mostly on his career as a stage actor, and specifically about his new touring production of King Lear. What a marvelous storyteller!

But despite the Times interviewer's irritatingly snarky snobbery on the subject of Sir Ian's movie roles (as though somehow McKellen should be a little embarrassed of his work on LOTR and the X-Men movies? What?!), Sir Ian was more than willing to take LOTR-related questions from the audience.

And the first, inevitably, was of course ... would he return for The Hobbit without PJ? His answer was that while he much preferred to have PJ in the director's chair, he would certainly consider returning without him. And he recounted the story featured in the article from The Telegraph about PJ's note giving him his blessing no matter how things turned out.

He marveled at how gracious and generous Jackson was. He said PJ told him that even if he couldn’t direct the movie, that McKellen “simply must” play Gandalf again. It was a very sweet story.

And then he cocked a sly eyebrow to the crowd and "confidentially" told us the rest of PJ's message. Which was essentially, if they went ahead without him in the director's chair ... that Sir Ian should demand lots and lots of money!

SandWitch King
Rohan

Oct 15 2007, 6:03pm

Post #9 of 41 (409 views)
Shortcut
I would remain very, very calm [In reply to] Can't Post

People, including news people, (maybe especially news people) tend to freak out about "what was reported" and could have just taken the Entertainment Weekly story and said, "Peter Jackson is directing!"

It doesn't make sense that a radio station, likely with few reporters, somehow breaks this big news. I am not saying it DIDN'T happen, it just sounds a lot more likely that somebody over reacted.

So, until we get good, solid confimation, take a DEEEEEEEEP breath.

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

SandWitch King
Rohan

Oct 15 2007, 6:06pm

Post #10 of 41 (400 views)
Shortcut
I checked the AP wire, sent some e-mails / Grain of Salt Patty {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Oct 15 2007, 6:18pm

Post #11 of 41 (363 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there's plenty of cause for optimism given the very public thawing of relations between both sides. But I think caution is the saner course here. (Even though I desperately want to give in to the story and start dancing a little jig right now in my cubicle. Though I'm sure workplace jig-dancing is probably against company policy. I'll have to look that one up in the employee handbook.)

Anyhow, I think we've got a lot of reason for hope right now, but we should hold off on the champagne and balloons until we see something official.

I firmly believe it's going to happen (it makes FAR too much artistic and financial sense), but I'm going to try to stay on the calm and patient path. I shall hold off on bellowing my mighty "Whoo-hoo!" until I see a press release!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 15 2007, 6:50pm

Post #12 of 41 (364 views)
Shortcut
Very wise, Mr.C er um Mr. King... [In reply to] Can't Post

ah, but wouldn't it be grand! I was one of those who voted "early 2008" though in the front page poll. I maintain that they will wait to give the Golden Compass some space.

For Gondor!

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Oct 15 2007, 7:20pm

Post #13 of 41 (364 views)
Shortcut
I too believe there's going to be ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a Hobbit announcement trailer on Golden Compass.

But I'm betting it will be on there when the movie opens. The only way they'd wait and attach such a trailer partway through it's run would be if the negotiations with PJ aren't complete by the time Golden Compass opens.

Why? Well, it's logistics mostly. It's really expensive and complicated to go back and attach trailers to thousands of prints once they're out the door and scattered all across the world. It's much easier and cheaper to tack trailers on before you send the prints out. PJ and New Line reps have both talked about what an expensive and complicated nightmare it was when they attached the Two Towers preview trailer to the end of Fellowship near the end of its theatrical run. (Note they didn't attach a Return of the King preview while Two Towers was in theaters. I'm betting expense and logistics were the prime reasons.)

Plus, there's no guarantee just how long Golden Compass is going to be in theaters in the first place. It might run for a couple of months and do phenomenal business like the LOTR movies ... or it could run for two or three weeks and drop off the map entirely like Stardust.

So IF there's going to be a trailer on Golden Compass, I'm betting it'll be there on opening night.

But you know what? I don't care when they put it on there ... as long as they do it! PLEASE PJ! PLEASE NEW LINE! WE'RE BEGGING HERE! PLEASE MAKE THE HOBBIT THE WAY WE ALL KNOW IT DESERVES TO BE MADE!

Whew. Sorry about that. Got a little carried away for a second there. I'm better now!

And back again
Rivendell

Oct 15 2007, 7:28pm

Post #14 of 41 (347 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit [In reply to] Can't Post

that I don't follow the LOTR scene as much as I used to. In the past, this was the place I used to hang out.

Nowadays, I post on a BBC message board a lot.

And I'm the only person in town who likes LOTR apart from a 13-year-old neighbour I hardly see - and I don't think he follows the gossip or news either.

Well, I hope they do make it and of course I hope PJ gets to do it. I cannot imagine that anyone else would go into such loving and lavish detail as he would.

Hobbit Jigs

Oct 15 2007, 7:49pm

Post #15 of 41 (336 views)
Shortcut
...you must play Gandalf whether I direct or not. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was lucky enough to get tickets to a New York Times-sponsored event last month in New York City where Sir Ian was interviewed for over an hour in front of a live audience mostly on his career as a stage actor, and specifically about his new touring production of King Lear. What a marvelous storyteller!

But despite the Times interviewer's irritatingly snarky snobbery on the subject of Sir Ian's movie roles (as though somehow McKellen should be a little embarrassed of his work on LOTR and the X-Men movies? What?!), Sir Ian was more than willing to take LOTR-related questions from the audience.

And the first, inevitably, was of course ... would he return for The Hobbit without PJ? His answer was that while he much preferred to have PJ in the director's chair, he would certainly consider returning without him. And he recounted the story featured in the article from The Telegraph about PJ's note giving him his blessing no matter how things turned out.

He marveled at how gracious and generous Jackson was. He said PJ told him that even if he couldn’t direct the movie, that McKellen “simply must” play Gandalf again. It was a very sweet story.

And then he cocked a sly eyebrow to the crowd and "confidentially" told us the rest of PJ's message. Which was essentially, if they went ahead without him in the director's chair ... that Sir Ian should demand lots and lots of money!

What a wonderful little insight into the man. Thanks. Smile

We Hobbits do things differently, but we still get shot at.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15 2007, 8:07pm

Post #16 of 41 (330 views)
Shortcut
A trailer is highly unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

There are too many spies about to put together a trailer without it being leaked. There's no cast, no locations, no costumes.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 15 2007, 8:07pm)

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Oct 15 2007, 8:32pm

Post #17 of 41 (310 views)
Shortcut
I don't necessarily agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you could easily shoot a teaser trailer without actually having a cast, a script or even a frame of the movie shot. Remember, this would only be an announcement trailer. Plus, they could do it mostly with some CG and some text. You don't have to show the audience a big, fancy trailer. All this would need to be is a little tease. Just a little announcement.

I've suggested on other discussion threads how this could be accomplished in what I thought could be a cool way ...

(For anyone who's read this already, I apologize for the repetition)

Here's how I'd do it:

Fade in on the New Line and Wingnut logos in the mist ... then fade to black.

Fade up on that oh-so-familiar font saying something like: "Even the greatest adventure ... begins with a single step ..."

Then cut to a shot of a fuzzy hobbit foot tentatively crossing the threshhold of Bag End ... and stepping onto the road.

Cut to black.

Then the words: "Christmas 2009" fade onto the screen over the trilling notes of Howard Shore's Hobbiton music.

That's really all you'd need. Something suggestive, something iconic, something that's sure to send me into a hyperventilating fit! And something that PJ could knock off in a weekend since he has the human-sized Bag End set permanently built into his front lawn as a guest house! (Man, how I'd love to be a guest!)

But if you want shots of actual characters, you don't need to show faces ... just iconic bits of costume. Heck, you could dress up a stage hand and shoot them from behind. You could even repurpose footage from the trilogy. Or even use footage originally shot for the trilogy and never used ... they must have a few million feet of that kind of stuff!

Or maybe you do a super tight shot of an ornate doorknob over Howard Shore music. Start to pull back slowly until you start seeing a green door ... keep going till you see the door is actually round ... keep pulling back until you see that it's Bag End. Then have Ian McKellen (of course he's going to be in the movie) do some voiceover: "In a whole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit." Cut to black. Then the text: "Christmas 2009"

I know I'd be wetting myself!

(This post was edited by BuckyUnderbelly on Oct 15 2007, 8:34pm)

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2007, 11:21pm

Post #18 of 41 (368 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else think that the 'official' announcement' from PJ will be on TORn first? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe i'm just biased, but I have a feeling that when PJ decides to announce whether he is involved with 'The Hobbit' and when we might be seeing it, he'll send off an email to the PTB first. It's not like that hasn't worked for him in the past!

Everytime I see a headline like this my heart skips a tiny beat, and my feet go a couple of inches off the ground. And then I take a deep breath and realize that it's not official and come back down to earth.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

kareniel
Lorien

Oct 15 2007, 11:50pm

Post #19 of 41 (292 views)
Shortcut
Aw shucks, SandWitch King! [In reply to] Can't Post

Remaining very, very calm is no fun at all. I prefer to jump onto the first car of the emotional roller coaster and enjoy all this preliminary speculation and rumor! *Both hands in the air* Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2007, 12:28am

Post #20 of 41 (272 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

especially since he told TORN first about his decision to step away from The Hobbit. Peter knows we are in this with him - he talked to US at the Oscar Party, and at ORC.

I think we'll get a message from Peter at the same time the official announcement is made, and he'll give us details about his participation.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

SandWitch King
Rohan

Oct 16 2007, 12:52am

Post #21 of 41 (268 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

But don't get tired, this jumping and such could go on and on. I don't begrudge anybody little moments of joy, and you are this waiting is fun!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Oct 16 2007, 12:58am

Post #22 of 41 (325 views)
Shortcut
Why do I feel the burden of being the realistic one? (hehehe) [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you are right DJ, but I doubt it will go down like this.

Variety or a Hollywood daily news source or perhaps a New Zealand one will break the story. A leak will happen somewhere (there are a LOT of people that get involved in such deals) and somebody will break the story.

PJ told us (the TORn community) about 'The Hobbit' because he knew it would play big in the press and that would and it would achieve maximum impact. He was right.

It would blow my mind if Jackson or New Line thought of TORn first but I would deem the chances remote - at best. I probably sound like a wet blanket AND I do know my opinion is only as good as anybody elses. I will stop being a kill joy now.

If we live in trying times, we must be the ones who try. If the future is looking dark, we must be the ones who shine.

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2007, 1:06am

Post #23 of 41 (275 views)
Shortcut
That's why I look to you [In reply to] Can't Post

...to keep me grounded. Wink You are probably right, but it would be pretty cool to click on the Home page one day soon and see that exclusive announcment.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2007, 1:10am

Post #24 of 41 (280 views)
Shortcut
I saw deej's comment differently [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no doubt New Line will make a big splash with their announcement. Peter won't be making the initial announcement, but New Line will be sure to have him front and center to garner the best press possible.

I'm thinking Peter will send a secondary message to TORN explaining his role and vision for the movie.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 16 2007, 1:54am

Post #25 of 41 (268 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it will be an NZ source. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ's managed to keep the NZ media at arm's length, giving them information only when it suits him, and his colleagues are loyal to the point where they won't squeak without his permission.

The only time when something slipped past PJ was when word broke that he had signed to make The Hobbit. The flurry of media stories was met by PJ saying there was no truth to the rumour - then several months later he announced he was making The Lord of the Rings.

I expect the first announcement will be an official one from New Line.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.